Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

External NTE

This is a discussion on External NTE within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew I am moving into a new build on 27/11 and mine will have this new external ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: External NTE

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      I am moving into a new build on 27/11 and mine will have this new external NTE.

I have 2 sockets inside, one in the kitchen on the other side of the wall to the external NTE and one upstairs.

Will both sockets be connected to the external NTE, or do extension come off the first BT socket after the external NTE or is it pot luck on how it's wired?
      Last weekend I had some fun with an XNTE in a frends new home, and here is how the problems were solved.
      As expected all the internal wiring for the telephones was done at the same time as the other electrics so was under the plaster, there being a socket in each room and an alarm panel. At the XNTE there was one set of wires connected to the customer terminals, all the sockets were checked to ensure they were extension type, and correctly connected. Everthing from a telephony point of view worked fine, but broadband performance was very poor.
      The first thing was to disconnect the alarm panel from the phone line and check line stats with just the router connected, to my supprise this did not improve BB perfomance very much at all (I was hopeing that a filter at the alarm panel would be the answer)
      Next step was to disconnect the customer wiring at the XNTE and re-check the sync using a temp socket hooked on to the customer terminals. Broadband performance was much improved, the sync speed increased by 6 meg!!.
      At this point luck took a hand and over a coffee I suggested fitting a socket for Broadband directly behind the XNTE, on the inside of the home. This was agreed and there was much releaf that it would not necessary to rip out cables under the plaster!.
      I fitted a modified NTE-5 socket (I removed the components from it) on the inside wall behind, and a bit below the XNTE, with a hole through the wall to take the new cable to the XNTE, A and B of the NTE-5 connected to 5 and 2 in the XNTE, a filter faceplate is fitted and the remaining wires in the new cable connect the original telephone wiring to the filterd outputs of the filter faceplate.
      The broadband results after this are the same as at the XNTE, the new cable being less that a metre long. The router now sits right next to the filter faceplate. and the household is very happy with their BB performance.
      I must now stock up on NTE-5's as his neighbours would like this doing as well, most have been moaning to their ISP's about poor speeds.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Sounds like you hove found an emerging market Brian, time to get on Drangon's Den

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What type of cable had been used for the internal runs Brian?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      What type of cable had been used for the internal runs Brian?
      It looked like CW1308 at the XNTE and at all the sockets, but there is no guarantee that its been used throughout, or that there is not some poor joint buired in the walls somewhere. To be honest I did not persue this too far, as the phones all worked and nobody was very keen on ripping out the cable in a new home.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Even if it wasn't CW1308 i wouldn't expect a drop off that bad unless it has some very long runs. All that matters is you did the tried & tested run-IT-direct install method for XNTE
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Just finnished at the neighbours, and as they had already seen the new socket fitted at my frends home they wanted the same fit so this left a bit more time to look at the internal wiring. As before all the sockets are of the normal extension type, so no extra masters to to leak interferance from the ring line. The line from the XNTE appears to run up the inside of the wall to the alarm panel, loop through, and continue up to the loft, where there was a real rats nest of wiring from all the other sockets joined up with chocolate block connectors. Just touching this resulted in wire breaks, as the screws had been driven in like he was dealing with cooker cable. Joint re-made and all is as well as can be expected.
      The increase in sync was just as impressive at the new socket and while I removed the handful of loft insulation from down my trousers and had a coffee, the BT line profile started to increase. Happyness alround and a few beer chits for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12