Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

XTE-2005 wiring to extensions question??

This is a discussion on XTE-2005 wiring to extensions question?? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You are right, if they are daisy chained then the filtered faceplate becomes less attractive, you then have two choices ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: XTE-2005 wiring to extensions question??

You are right, if they are daisy chained then the filtered faceplate becomes less attractive, you then have two choices :-

(1) Run a dedicated ADSL extension for the router & wire existing extensions to the filtered terminals on the faceplate.
      (2) Use a filtered faceplate on the master but then use the socket i refered to on the secondary sockets, does away with plug in filters and also avoids any problem with the ring wire.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No you are right Tom, its just that I did not want to go too far into it as we dont know just how the extensions are run. It could be that the one to be used for ADSL has been run from the master on its own, with another single feed also from the master to the rest of them.

DeathOfRats is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESALL
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Pro
      Thanks

Im at work and left the wiring diagram I did today at home I did notice tho that I had a white cable and a black cable coming from the masterplate. The black cable had 6 wires, the white had 4. Hopefully I will find that the white is the only one going to the extension with the router. I will check all my extensions when I get home and let you know. Hopefully I can work out the best setup with what I have. I think I may be screwed if I need to run a cable because since I bought the house Ive floored the whole place and cant get underneath anymore!! Oooops!!!

Thanks

Well you may be in luck, but if not have you considered moving the router to the master socket/filter faceplate and using mains adaptors to connect to computer?

Thanks

What a mess!! Lol!! The person who had the house before has wires EVERYWHERE!! Anyway, there is a white cable with four wires that goes to my garage and then a wire comes out of that and goes to the extension where my router is. I dont use the phone point in the garage so Im just wondring wether it is best to leave it as is or do away with the box in the gara and join up the wires. Im guessing that since there is no phone there then there should be little or no interference? The black wire seems to go to the extension in the bedroom. So the only problem I now have is the kitchen extension. It has 2 grey cables coming to it but these 2 cables dont appear anywhere else?!?!? So I dont have a clue if the kitchen comes off the garage,bedroom or master socket. Maybe I just wont bother now, seems like too much hard work. The reason I was going to try it, is that I get about 2000-3000 crc's a day. This is too much? Right? My connection is stable tho, even if I drop my noise to 4 I still get a stable connection so Im guessin my wiring cant be that bad?? I really dont know what to think now

Thanks

The first thing to do is check that the test socket works and that when you use it all other sockets have no dial tone. If this is the case, then at least you will know all the extensions are connected from the master as the should be. the test socket is the one under the faceplate on the master socket.
      If the test socket is the only one working, then the next step is to disconnect the 4 core white cable at the faceplate, then put the faceplate back and see which sockets do not work. With luck it will be your router one and the one in the garage and all the rest will be o.k. If this is the case then you can go ahead and fit the filter faceplate with the white cable connected to the unfiltered outputs, and the other to the filtered outputs. As yo say you can do away with the garage socket and connect the wires together.
      Last edited by Brian69; 10-09-09 at 03:15 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That is a mess. With different cables the chances are some of them are not twisted pair which can cause problems.

I think you should consider Brian's suggestion, fit a filtered plate to the Master socket, plug your router in there and use Homeplugs to get the signal to your PC. It will cost you 50 odd quid, but would be worth it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hopefully not all that bad. I did notice that there was consistency throught all the extensions. wht/org, org/wht were on same numbers throught out the house, same with the other colours. I just need to figure where the hell the kitchen phone is connected.

Thanks

Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and spend money on homeplugs. This means I will be able to plug the router into the master socket. However, which ADSL faceplate do I buy? I've looked at all the recommended ones on this site but can't work out which one would suit my needs. When I remove my current faceplate it has 6 connections, numbered 1-6. All the faceplates recommended here have the numbers 2-5 and A and B!!!!

The wires are done as follows:
      Connection 1= 1 X green with white stripe wire.
      Connection 2= 2 X ,blue with white stripes wires.
      Connection 3= Nothing, two lose orange wires are lying loose, I guess these originally went here!!
      Connection 4= 2 X white with orange stripes wires.
      Connection 5= 2 X white with blue stripes wires
      Connection 6- 1 X white with green stripes wires.

I guess I need either a faceplate with 1-6 (which I can't find) or someone to tell me where the wires I currently have would go into one of the new 2-5,AB faceplates.
      Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Connect the wire or wires on 2 of your faceplate, to 2 of the filter faceplate.
      Do the same with 5 and connect the orange wires to 3 . Leave all other wires disconnected. do not connect anything to A or B.

Plug your router into the ADSL socket on the filter faceplate. The choice of filter faceplate is yours, but do buy it from Run-It- Direct as they are very helpful on here and deserve support.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast