Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Faceplate or get an engineer out ?

This is a discussion on Faceplate or get an engineer out ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Andy17 Remove all wires apart from wires 2 and 5, that will get rid of the noise ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate or get an engineer out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      Remove all wires apart from wires 2 and 5, that will get rid of the noise problem and the socket will still work.
      Why do I need to leave some connected when they run off to a socket upstairs that is not in use ?

I don't want to damage them but how is best to remove them ? With a pair or tweezers or pliers perhaps ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are sure you are not going to need the upstairs socket, by all means remove them all. Make a note of the colours connected to the 2 and 5 terminals should you want to reinstate the extension in the future. The wires lift straight up, a small pair of pliers is useful to hold the short side.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When I had a 2nd sky box plugged into the box upstairs for a while, it caused major problems to the broadband speed which slowed dramatically. As soon as I unplugged the 2nd box, the speed returned to normal so I have no intention of using the 2nd box for the foreseeable box.

I have just removed all wires, put the faceplate back on, plugged the router into the front and had a result ! My router page is telling me the line speed is almost 4.5meg. Good news !

I suppose a filtered faceplate would make it look tidier with no need for the microfilter hanging down but for the time being it is fine - I am happy. 5years that 2nd box has been running off the main one and I have not given it a second though. A 5 min operation and I have added another 2 meg to my speed.

Thanks all

Thanks

What are your stats like, post them and let us have a look. There is a good chance that you have been capped and may get a bit more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      When I had a 2nd sky box plugged into the box upstairs for a while, it caused major problems to the broadband speed which slowed dramatically. As soon as I unplugged the 2nd box, the speed returned to normal so I have no intention of using the 2nd box for the foreseeable box.
      Did you use a micro filter with this Sky box and was it the first thing plugged into the phone socket? One of the most common problems with Sky boxes and broadband is not having them connected correctly to the phone line.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What are your stats like, post them and let us have a look. There is a good chance that you have been capped and may get a bit more.
      System Up Time 23:07:34
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 860206 1555821 0 2525 141730 04:29:30
      LAN 10M/100M 6862 0 0 29 0 23:07:31
      WLAN 11M/54M 2068691 1216694 0 36483 974 23:07:23

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4480 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.0 db

Here are my stats. It will not work me trying to "Print Screen" and post it in so hopefully you can read this ok. The guy I spoke to last night said it is best for Sky to set the speed just below the max speed possible to stop the line dropping out and get the best performance.

I use my broadband for gaming a lot so is there is anything that can be changed to help with gaming or does it all look ok ?

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      System Up Time 23:07:34
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 860206 1555821 0 2525 141730 04:29:30
      LAN 10M/100M 6862 0 0 29 0 23:07:31
      WLAN 11M/54M 2068691 1216694 0 36483 974 23:07:23

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4480 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.0 db

Here are my stats. It will not work me trying to "Print Screen" and post it in so hopefully you can read this ok. The guy I spoke to last night said it is best for Sky to set the speed just below the max speed possible to stop the line dropping out and get the best performance.

I use my broadband for gaming a lot so is there is anything that can be changed to help with gaming or does it all look ok ?
      You can ask for you max delays to be reduced,if you havn't already which will help with ping times.

Thanks

Here are my stats.
      It looks like you are getting as much as you are going to.

As Andy says, you can ask to have your delay reduced, which will help with gaming, see here- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gamin...broadband.html

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like you are getting as much as you are going to.

As Andy says, you can ask to have your delay reduced, which will help with gaming, see here- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gamin...broadband.html
      Thank you - I will do that.

I don't suppose anyone has an email address for them ? I have followed the "Contact Us" path and it is making me fill out an online form with only about 5 different options to pick and then I will get an automated step by step guide on how to solve it. No option for me to submit a question.

Thanks

If you use the https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...contactus/kana select General Enquiry in the first box. You can then type what you require into the Reply box. To be honest, you are quicker phoning, tell Tier 1 you want your Delay reduced and they should put you through to CST.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast