Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT & what about the cable feeding the DP? How about the nearest cab in the street? ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      & what about the cable feeding the DP? How about the nearest cab in the street? See where i'm going here?! You do not know what the rest of the cabling is like, by all means replace the cable to the DP but you shouldn't be touching it, if for any reason you cause a fault on someone elses line Openreach won't be too happy...........
      Oh? I meant connecting from my non-External NTE Black Junction Box to my Internal NTE5 Master Socket only!

As for the wire from External Black Junction Box to Nearest Cab / Local Exchange (Maida Vale), no need to change that one, I'll leave that as it is.

Hold on!! Actually, I see your point!! Now I get it now!! Its only you can do the rewiring, only if you have single direct line to Junction box!!
      But if you've DP - Junction Box with other two neighbours phone lines included, then its definitely a BIG NO, NO, NO!! Damnit!! I was looking forward to it and about to do the real challenge as I'm both very keen and determined to do it, but I've put the brakes on!!

All I do for now is remove the non-NTE5 Socket and replace with the New Openreach NTE5 Socket that I've purchased from eBay and then after that, its the only simplest way is to do is get BT invloved to replace the whole completely out of date phone line kit from the internal wiring to all the way outside including the old drop wire!! That's will be extremely very expensive, but that's the only way I can think of!!

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Hold on!! Actually, I see your point!! Now I get it now!! Its only you can do the rewiring, only if you have single direct line to Junction box!!
      But if you've DP - Junction Box with other two neighbours phone lines included, then its definitely a BIG NO, NO, NO!! Damn!!
      Officially you are not supposed to do anything in either case, get someone who knows telecoms wiring(it really isn't hard) to replace the drop cable if you really want to but i doubt it will make much(if any) difference. I would just replace the old junction box and replace the CW1308 cable inside. BTW, if you have an Openreach branded NTE5 off eBay then that will be stolen stock, the ONLY people who can get them are BT/Openreach engineers, BT are cracking down on these sellers (who are even cheeky enough to sell on BY test equipment!!!!).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Officially you are not supposed to do anything in either case, get someone who knows telecoms wiring(it really isn't hard) to replace the drop cable if you really want to but i doubt it will make much(if any) difference. I would just replace the old junction box and replace the CW1308 cable inside. BTW, if you have an Openreach branded NTE5 off eBay then that will be stolen stock, the ONLY people who can get them are BT/Openreach engineers, BT are cracking down on these sellers (who are even cheeky enough to sell on BY test equipment!!!!).
      But its not easy to find BT / Phone Engineers or telecoms wiring in my area (Kilburn - London), I've searching for them since last year, but nothing! And if I find a few Openreach Engineers who drivng the OP van in my area, they don't want to do it, moaning about BT find out their stock in the van, even I'll pay for them, they still don't want to do it, just coming a lot of different excuses to avoid the hard work. As for my older brother's "friend" from his work garage, he probably all talk and no action kind of guy, he's always drunk sometimes, according to my brother.

I thought it would make much diiference because my whole phone line including Black Drop Wire going up: 4 conductor "quad" older four core cable (currently its like this) is probably full of corrosion, as both wires from Internal Junction and the wires from External junction box did snapped twice when Tony (BT Engineer) come round to mine last year, March for checking my line phone, he let me off the call-out fee even he find no faults on my phone line, saying that its completely fine (even I know its ok only for the voice, but not for ADSL) because the wires snapped twice, but he didn't replaced anything at all, he just left it exactly the same old phone line since 1973!!

If that Openreach Socket I have is stolen, then I'm more better off to return it back to the Seller and get my money back, just in case, if they find out that I got one of them, I can get easily arrested for handing stolen goods nowsadays and the police can just come knocking on my door in seconds!! No way, I'm taking that kind of risk just for only purchased NTE5 Socket from eBay!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 03:31 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Jonathanen, I am sorry I have to hold my hands up say that I tried to help you with your 'project' without first looking at your stats. Having had a look at them, old ones admittedly, it seems you are syncing around 16000, with an attenuation of 31 dbs. This I must say, is very reasonable and nothing you are doing is likely to raise your speed by any great amount. Fitting a new NTE5 will give you the ability to test your speed from a Test socket, that is about all, unless you intend to install fixed phone extensions at a later date.

Can you post your stats from the master socket, with nothing else connected to the phone line, just to let us see your current stats?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      And if I find a few Openreach Engineers who drivng the OP van in my area, they don't want to do it, moaning about BT find out their stock in the van, even I'll pay for them, they still don't want to do it, just coming a lot of different excuses to avoid the hard work.
      Or perhaps they value their job a little more than those selling what isn't theirs to sell on eBay
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Jonathanen, I am sorry I have to hold my hands up say that I tried to help you with your 'project' without first looking at your stats. Having had a look at them, old ones admittedly, it seems you are syncing around 16000, with an attenuation of 31 dbs. This I must say, is very reasonable and nothing you are doing is likely to raise your speed by any great amount. Fitting a new NTE5 will give you the ability to test your speed from a Test socket, that is about all, unless you intend to install fixed phone extensions at a later date.

Can you post your stats from the master socket, with nothing else connected to the phone line, just to let us see your current stats?
      I'm very sorry for troubling you so, so much and everybody else in that matter!! Once again, I'm very sorry for giving you guys too much trouble. Its that old fashioned phone line is very annoying me so much and my mum keep pestering me about I can't hear properly (but its not my fault, what can I do about it), any way, here are the set of stats as follows:

Stats without Commtel Phone Guard & Extensions: - Pic: DSCN0613.jpg

System Up Time 00:02:43
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 31 31 0 41 34 00:01:51
      LAN 10M/100M 524 396 0 1837 355 00:02:40
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 64 0 0 149 0 00:02:32

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 926 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 18.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 8.0 db

Stats without Commtel Phone Guard, adding Extensions: - Pic: DSCN0614.jpg

System Up Time 00:02:12
      WAN PPPoA 13 11 0 44 41 00:00:38
      LAN 10M/100M 192 121 0 597 121 00:02:09
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 46 0 0 127 0 00:02:01

Connection Speed 15323 kbps 902 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 8.0 db

Stats with all connected up: - Pic: DSCN0615.jpg

System Up Time 00:01:10
      WAN PPPoA 11 21 0 27 73 00:00:21
      LAN 10M/100M 170 97 0 1043 189 00:01:07
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 46 0 0 261 0 00:00:59

Connection Speed 15323 kbps 916 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 8.0 db

unfortunately, I think that I have made things worst, I think Sky was doing DLM on my line, as I notice that my upload speed was changing and interrupted the process while getting the stats for you by resetting my route each time with different tests. All this time, why Sky choose now to do my DLM on line???

Ah! That reminds me, my router disconnects once around 3 or 4AM in every morning, is that normal?

This is my last post about my "Rewiring" project, because I don't want to trouble everyone on this Forum anymore. I'll have a big think about my rewiring project with all the information I've been receving from this Forum, its very useful!! Thanks very much, everybody for this. I'll really appreciate this.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0613.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0614.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0615.jpg  
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 04:43 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

unfortunately, I think that I have made things worst, I think Sky was doing DLM on my line
      You line has been opened up to the new higher speeds, so DLM may be running as you say. I would try to leave things as they are until DLM finishes, it has improved your upload but I doubt if you will see the download going much higher.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

psdmc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

was going to post a question about some problems Im having in identifying bt hardware, but after reading this post it has answered all my questions.

If any sky broadband staff who use this website (and you know who you are) are reading this post, a big thank you for all your help and support this morning.

I think Isitme also deserves a thankyou for all his knowledge...

Thanks

Update...

I'll take back what I've said about the last post bit before.

Anyway, I just have my new phone wiring fitted by myself - only the internal wiring part from NTE5 Master Socket to BT80B RF3 Junction box and I just only find out that my friend (only 5 mins walk away from my house) who works for BT, having his OP van parked near his house, connecting from my BT 80B RF3 to external Junction box using the same old Drop Cable cable. I asked him about my new 5m CW1411 Drop Cable from Ebay (which it supposed to be CW1378 Dropwire No.10 2-Pair), he says no need to replace it, as its the same as my old Drop Cable, so I left it and keep my new 5m CW1411 Drop Cable, just in case.

Now I just send a email to Sky, to adjust / configuration my line speeds, because my current line speed is sucks, due to disconnects for line tests before.

System Up Time 00:05:23
      WAN PPPoA 575 596 0 792 1678 00:03:49
      LAN 10M/100M 1325 1272 0 2175 981 00:05:20
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 82 0 0 81 0 00:05:12

Connection Speed 13311 kbps 902 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 db 19.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.3 db 8.5 db

Now, I'm curious about what's the differences with CW1378 & CW1411 Drop Cables?

Thanks

Update:

Here is my current stats after I've send about 8 emails to Sky:

Connection Speed 16020 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 db 19.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 10.0 db

According to Sky, they have reply back to me as follows:

Dear Mr Erskine-Nartey,

Having read your emails and checked the line, I have calibrated the line to it's optimum performance level of 16 Meg downstream connection speed.
      The Max delays are set at 8 which helps when using online gaming. If you want we can increase the max delays to 16 or 32 and this will often allow an increase in the downstream connection speed.
      Kind regards,
      Bill
      Sky Help Centre
      Sky.com - your home for the latest news, sport and entertainment

Now I've send another email to Sky to increase my upload speed now, hopefully around up to 1.3 MB upload speed spec, as I'm very happy with my dowload speed at the moment!!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast