Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Update on 24-11-09 02:45: I just find out that Tony ( BT Engineer) has put the wires in my External ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

Update on 24-11-09 02:45: I just find out that Tony (BT Engineer) has put the wires in my External Black Junction Box wrong way round. According to BT wiring question and TELEPHONE SOCKET INSTALLATION web sites, it should be the following:

• White wire with Blue stripes - White/Orange (White) - External Junction box: 1st hole top (A) to New NTE5: Pin A (Pin 5)
      • Blue wire with White stripes - Orange - External Junction box: 2nd hole bottom (B) to New NTE5: Pin B (Pin 2)

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As long as they are connected the same way in the socket then it won't matter what colour they are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      What makes you think that cable you got from ebay is any better than the stuff you returned to Maplins. It looks like standard 2 pair internal CW1308 to me. You should have stuck with the CW1308B or maybe CW1128.
      Yes!! I got my full my refund back from the Seller just in time, I send him a email instantly as soon you tell me that its the same as Maplin one, thanks very neilmcl!!

Neilmcl or anyone, I need your help guys with the most suitable Telephone Cable for both Internal & External use.

Ah! In your case, Neilmcl, do you mean like 20mtrs BT ADSL Telephone Cable Exterior CW1128 2 Pair from eBay or 20m CW1128 Cable, 5 Pair BLACK from run-IT-direct, Online Shop-Pay Pal & Google Checkout Payments.

Is that the latest one that BT uses at the moment for direct connection from External Junction box to Internal NTE5 Master Socket?

I want 100% sure check first this time before I've purchase it, as I don't want to make another mistake like yesterday (thanks for telling me and pointing that out for me, by the way) and I don't much about Telephone Cables, Im total novice to this stuff, but I'm very eager to learn and very determined to get the job done.

What's the latest cabling and colour of the cable that BT uses at the moment for connecting directly from External Junction box all the way to new Internal NTE5 Master socket?

Because I want to fool the BT Engineer who might poking around in my area just in case, or checking my line for line testing, I want them to them to find out that my "up to Standard" wiring upgrade has been done by BT Engineers in the past, not me has done DIY - I don't want them to send me a huge bill for doing very good job on my rewiring the phone line.

I thought its White Cable, as I keep seeing White Cabling all over in my area but I keep make mistakes with purchasing CW 1308 White Internal Cable. I can't wait for my new phone line upgraded up to Standard wiring, as I'm too excited!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      As long as they are connected the same way in the socket then it won't matter what colour they are.
      Ah! thanks very much, Smithy! For confirming my direct connections are the same way in the NTE5 Socket, thanks very much again. In that case, for myself in order to make much easier for me to understand, its A to A and B to B or 1 to 1 and 2 to 2, that way I won't get confused with A to B, swapping the wires other way round between Internal NTE5 Socket and External Junction Box and visa versa, causing a fault on the line. Its too easy, but as Brian69 says DON'T TOUCH THE DP - EXTERNAL JUNCTION BOX!!! I'll leave that to Electrician / Cable Engineer to do the wiring!

Shall I purchase 3 WIRE TELEPHONE JELLY CRIMPS TELECOM CONNECTOR x 10 or 2 WIRE TELEPHONE JELLY CRIMPS TELECOM CONNECTOR x 10 from eBay as well while I'm at it.

Thanks

Update: According to run-IT-direct, Online Shop-Pay Pal & Google Checkout Payments, for Official BT way of rewiring configuration for my house:

1. 4.38m of CW1128 Cable, 5 Pair BLACK for outside from External Junction Box
      2. BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw)
      3. 11.85m of CW1308 Cable, 2 Pair WHITE for inside to NTE5 Socket

• Cannot use CW1128 cable inside my house, due to Health & Saftey Issue!!
      • Cannot use Grey cable inside my house, due to Health & Saftey Issue!!
      • Cabling with CW1308 on the outside of the house like the most houses in my area have are completely wrong, but Engineers don't care about that, as doesn't think twice about it!
      • Can use EXTERNAL CAT5e Cable, if you want from External Junction Box to NTE5 Master Socket, but BT never use EXTERNAL CAT5e Cable on their phone network including from External Junction Box to NTE5 Master Socket and they can find out straight away, as they normally use Internal White CW1308 to the Master Socket

That makes the total cost: 15.84 + Shipping: 10.49 = 30.28 without 10% Discount or total cost including 10% Discount: 27.25. That's still much cheaper than getting BT involved, otherwise it'll be like 300+ including the cost of their materials used, Calling-out fee, charging per hour fee!

When I've mention about the 10% Discount for Skyuser Memebers, they say that I can use that as well, its for all products, everything from run-it-direct, as long you send a PM to them using Skyuser Forum, and they'll send you a code in return for you to use!!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You don't have to use the BT80B RF3 but could use a BT80A (the RF3 is BT branded however......):-

BT 80A Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors)

CW1128 should not be used for long internal runs, you either have a choice of moving the master(NTE5) socket location to where the external cable will enter the building or use a juntion box to terminate to CW1308 for the internal run. You could quite happily use external grade CAT5e for the whole lot but it would be obvious to any Openreach engineer that the cabling is not thiers, whether they would actually care is another matter............
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      You don't have to use the BT80B RF3 but could use a BT80A (the RF3 is BT branded however......):-

BT 80A Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors)

CW1128 should not be used for long internal runs, you either have a choice of moving the master(NTE5) socket location to where the external cable will enter the building or use a juntion box to terminate to CW1308 for the internal run. You could quite happily use external grade CAT5e for the whole lot but it would be obvious to any Openreach engineer that the cabling is not thiers, whether they would actually care is another matter............
      Hi, RUNITDIRECT! Thanks again for your help over the phone. At the moment, its set up exactly the same as BT phone line set up plan in competely out of date wiring style. Its complete mess!! My current old BT35A G.P.O. internal Junction box shows on the the post #45 and its very near by the radiator!!

And ADSL set up is exactly the same as my current Final ADSL Plan with no BT Hard-wired extension sockets installed because of the non-NTE5 Master socket, instead I have the following - all connected into 1 ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilter with Commtel Internet & Phone Guard physcially fitted onto non-NTE5 Socket:

• 3 x 15M Extension Reel with Extension Lead/Splitter
      • 1 x 15M Extension Reel without Extension Lead/Splitter
      • 1 x 10M Extension Cable
      • 1 x Two Way Splitter Adaptor
      • 1 x 20M Phonapart High Spec ADSL/Broadband Modem Lead (Twisted Round Pair)
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 02:15 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Looking at your diagram i would personally connect a new 80A/80ARF3 in place of the old GPO box with gel crimps, then run new CW1308 to the new NTE5 with faceplate filter. If the drop cable looks in good shape then leave well alone(i've not read this whole thread so if there is a break in the drop cable then it's up to you how you handle that!). What i would keep in mind is you can get your internal wiring perfect, it doesn't mean the rest of BT's wiring is, if you saw some of the things i saw on the BT network you wouldn't bother doing anything!!!! One thing though, i gather you are planning on entering a BT DP, this really is pushing the boudries IMO, connecting your own NTE5 is one thing but entering a BT DP with OTHER USERS lines is a deff NO NO for the DIY'er. I know BT engineers wouldn't have a problem with us terminating to a DP but an end user may not be so fortunate if you manage to mess anything up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Looking at your diagram i would personally connect a new 80A/80ARF3 in place of the old GPO box with gel crimps, then run new CW1308 to the new NTE5 with faceplate filter. If the drop cable looks in good shape then leave well alone(i've not read this whole thread so if there is a break in the drop cable then it's up to you how you handle that!). What i would keep in mind is you can get your internal wiring perfect, it doesn't mean the rest of BT's wiring is, if you saw some of the things i saw on the BT network you wouldn't bother doing anything!!!! One thing though, i gather you are planning on entering a BT DP, this really is pushing the boudries IMO, connecting your own NTE5 is one thing but entering a BT DP with OTHER USERS lines is a deff NO NO for the DIY'er. I know BT engineers wouldn't have a problem with us terminating to a DP but an end user may not be so fortunate if you manage to mess anything up.
      But According to Isitme, my drop wire is "older four core cable", according to Telephone Wiring Tips web site web site, it says "Older houses often contain 4 conductor "quad" cable. This cable often contains four wires which are solid in color. The wire colors are almost always red, green, yellow, and black. If you decide to use these wires, you will not obtain the highest quality voice or data signal."

As for my DP, I'll leave that with Electrician / Cable Engineer (who usually comes to my older brother's work garage) for connecting my wires from the DP to the new Openreach NTE5 Socket & drilling a new hole for the new wire to feed through. He might get his friend (BT Engineer) who works for BT (hopefully) as well, if he knows one of them working for BT that is.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 02:46 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

& what about the cable feeding the DP? How about the nearest cab in the street? See where i'm going here?! You do not know what the rest of the cabling is like, by all means replace the cable to the DP but you shouldn't be touching it, if for any reason you cause a fault on someone elses line Openreach won't be too happy...........

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast