Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As long as there is not more than a few metres outside it will be OK. Direct sunlight can effect ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

As long as there is not more than a few metres outside it will be OK. Direct sunlight can effect the cable but as long as it is not too exposed, it will come to no harm for many years.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As long as there is not more than a few metres outside it will be OK. Direct sunlight can effect the cable but as long as it is not too exposed, it will come to no harm for many years.
      When you say not too exposed, do you mean don't do like it shown as in close up of External Junction Box, with long wires sticking out from mine & neighbours.

Instead cut off a little of white outer covering for the 2 wires sticking out, so that the 2 wires comes inside of insertion point of 40mm right into the rocker, and rest of the wire will be covered with outer white covering?

Since I'm living on the first floor, the cable length will be 4.38m long from the Junction Box to my wall in the living room.

By the way, I think its CW1308B - Internal / External Telecom Cable - 10 Pair that I need to buy from Minitran or 20m Black 3 Pair External Telephone Cable, Extension from eBay. I'll try to get my money back from Maplin and purchase CW1308B from MiniLink, otherwise I just use the Maplin 3 pair telephone cable.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-11-09 at 09:52 AM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Althrough the non NET-5 is a BT master, it is not one intended for a exchange line (it contains no over-volt protection) and while your wiring does look a bloody mess, I would not advise you to interfer with the DP outside as it contains lines to other flats and Openreach will take a very dim view if you damage others lines.
      You need to get the master replaced with a NTE-5 to start with.

Thanks

Update: I was planning to order CW1308B-020E 10 pair + Earth Indoor/Outdoor 13.60 (15.64 inc VAT), but after reading from DIYnot.com Forum: moving BT junction box!! plugwash, JOHNBOY42, wiffers2003, bernardgreen, AlanE, to be on the safe side, I've decide to use Maplin 3 Pair Telephone Cable, and I just find out that my older brother reckons that he knows a electrician who keeps coming to his work garage, after I asked him about knowing anyone who has a powerful drill with masonary drill bit to drill another hole in my living room wall, because the stupid builders (bunch of cowboys) from Camden Council in 2 years ago has cemented the hole completely and instead of clamping or stapling the cable nicely onto the wall, they just struck the drop cable directly onto the underneath my window stall, covered all up with plaster and painting it white like the other part of the house, making it more difficult to move the wire in or out and I have it to cut it off manually, instead of just pulling the wire out easily from the inside of my living room when the electrician has finished sorted out the new telephone cable for me.

If BT comes round for line checking and ask me who has done the new wiring, I just "act" dumb, pretending that I didn't do the new phone rewiring, and say that "I just caught one of the BT Engineers who driving the Openreach van, parked opposite away from my house and they about to leave, so I asked them nicely to replace my old BT Socket to the latest BT Socket, but in the end, since they knew that my phone wiring is definitely out of date!!! So they have decided to replaced my wiring too, all for free of charge, and they're definitely making sure that I won't get charge for this because I've been the out of date phone wiring for 36 years!! I guess they're feeling very sorry for me".

All I got to do now is wait until my new NTE5 Socket and ADSL Nation Microfilter, comes to me by post as well IDC PunchDown Tool (just in case), and then I just call my brother to get the electrician to do the new phone wiring with Maplin 3 Pair Telephone Cable from my external Junction Box to my brand new BT Openreach NTE5 Master Socket, job done!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-11-09 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Althrough the non NET-5 is a BT master, it is not one intended for a exchange line (it contains no over-volt protection) and while your wiring does look a bloody mess, I would not advise you to interfer with the DP outside as it contains lines to other flats and Openreach will take a very dim view if you damage others lines.
      You need to get the master replaced with a NTE-5 to start with.
      Hi Brian69, Even if I have the new NTE5 Socket, is it still not safe for the electrician to remove my old 2 wires on No 3 (left hand side) from my External Junction Box and replace it with the 2 new wires from new Maplin 3 Pair Telephone Cable? Oh yeah, I forgot about the grease is a moisture barrier!!

Ah! By the way, what's the different between the one on the left hand side and the one on the right hand side?

I'm just curious because both downstairs (No 2) and and next door neighbours (No 4) are on the right side of the Junction box and mine one is only on the left hand side. But I think its does all the same thing (maybe I'm wrong). Ahh! I see 2 crimps on my next door neigbhours's wire underneath the Numbering Rockers / Connecting boxes No 1 - 10. That means I need to purchase 3 WIRE TELEPHONE JELLY CRIMPS TELECOM CONNECTOR x 10 from eBay

I think that I get with the "not too exposed" bit, after reading DIYnot.com Forum Index: Please help - I cut my BT drop wire!!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-11-09 at 09:56 AM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Sorry but I do not give any info when it comes to DP's. Messing about with your own line is one thing, there are only a couple of wires and if you were to bugger it up you would only affect your line. But DPs have other peoples lines, which may be monitored alarm lines, or care lines for the disabled, so do not go in there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Sorry but I do not give any info when it comes to DP's. Messing about with your own line is one thing, there are only a couple of wires and if you were to bugger it up you would only affect your line. But DPs have other peoples lines, which may be monitored alarm lines, or care lines for the disabled, so do not go in there.
      Ah, I see! Then the most safely option for me is only to remove my old Non-NTE5 Socket and replace it with the new NTE-5 Socket. And then from there, I'll try to get one of the BT / Openreach Engineers in my area (if I see any driving by) to upgrade from the old wiring to new and up to standard rewiring.

Thanks

Update: Both my new BT Openreach NTE-5A with Ring Bell Filter, but without the Back box from eBay & ADSL Nation Microfilter has come today!!

It doesn't matter that back box is not included, as I just removed the old Cable London NTE5 Socket and use the existing back box from it. It was very dirty, painted all over, so I removed it too and give it a very good clean!!

Electrician / Cable Engineer come round to mine, but when he saw the Maplin Cable that I've purchased, he says that its not completely suitable for outside, as the UV rays might damage the cable and then the water / rain will come into the cable and then exposed sparks will be flying. So I've returned the Cable back to Maplin and got my money back without any problems, its a good thing that I didn't touch and cut any wires yet, it was in the bag the whole time, unused!

I've find the solution to my "Telephone Cable" problem - I've purchased 30mtrs telephone cable.broadband .external or internal. from eBay for 11.49

A top quality white 2 pair telephone cable has standard BT colour code and meets all specifications. Suitable for Internal or External. This cable has a high copper content, the sheaving is smooth and thick, U.V. protected and weatherproof.

Perfect!! What more do I need for Telephone Cable? It has everything I want, connecting directly all the way from my new NTE5 Master Socket to External Junction Box without the need to worry now, my 2 problems are solved:
      1. Suitable for External too as well Interior
      2. BT can't say anything to me when they come round to mine for line checking later in the future, as its looks like BT Engineer has upgraded my line up to BT Standard wiring with white cabling in the past!!

Now I put the BT Openreach NTE-5A Socket onto the back plate, so that I won't lose it including the screws, ready for Electrician / Cable Engineer with my older brother to come again next time and do the wiring. After that, I'll then rip out all the old "BT kit" and transfer my Commtel Internet & Phone Guard & all the connections on ADSL Nation Microfilter onto my new NTE5 Socket. My BT Openreach NTE-5A Socket looks like this on the back of my NTE5 Socket.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0605.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0607.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0608.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0609.jpg  
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-11-09 at 11:14 PM.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

What makes you think that cable you got from ebay is any better than the stuff you returned to Maplins. It looks like standard 2 pair internal CW1308 to me. You should have stuck with the CW1308B or maybe CW1128.
      Last edited by neilmcl; 24-11-09 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      What makes you think that cable you got from ebay is any better than the stuff you returned to ebay. It looks like standard 2 pair internal CW1308 to me. You should have stuck with the CW1308B or maybe CW1128.
      eh? From eBay and return to eBay? Oh, you mean return 6W Phone Cable White back to Maplin and buy 30mtrs telephone cable.broadband .external or internal. from eBay.

Because I wanted White Cable suitable for both internal & external, so that I can connect directly all the way from my External Junction Box to my new BT Openreach NTE-5A Socket without worrying about the telephone cable getting damaged with UV rays / direct sunlight or BT poking around, finding it so suspicious if I've used Black cable both from outside all the way to inside of NTE5 Master Socket, when it should be white cable. As, what I've see all over in my area is White, White, White, White Cabling from their old External boxes like mine, so I'm guessing that I should do the same as them.

The one from Maplin wasn't suitable for external use, it was only White Internal Telephone Cable with no sheath, only White PVC insulation, it was quite easy to squeeze the cable, therefore its not very thick cable and the cable will soon gets damaged.

All I can do now is wait and see, hoping that its the one I want (I just read item description very quickly, got very excitied and purchased it without thinking about it), otherwise, if its the same as the one from Maplin with no thick sheaving, I just return it back to the Seller and get my money back!! Oh, well, its too late now, can't cancel it now, as I already paid for it via PayPal.

The ones you mention - CW1308B or CW1128, I can't find them in White colour, so far I've seen them only available in Black.

Oh, by the way the back of my NTE5 Socket looks this. Is this the latest? I thought the screwing terminals on the back for A & B is the latest design, not IDC terminals.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 01:09 AM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast