Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; PM me your full name & address, so that I'll post you a cheque No need for that, accepting payment ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

PM me your full name & address, so that I'll post you a cheque
      No need for that, accepting payment of any kind would defeat the objects of the forum. If you feel you have been helped by myself, or any other member of the forum, feel free to make a small donation to the Forum's official Charity, which at the moment is -
      Sky User is fundraising for Marie Curie Cancer Care - JustGiving

Let's hope everything works out OK when you get your bits and pieces.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No need for that, accepting payment of any kind would defeat the objects of the forum. If you feel you have been helped by myself, or any other member of the forum, feel free to make a small donation to the Forum's official Charity, which at the moment is -

Oh, ok, I was planning to give you 5 as well a thank you card, as I'm a bit poor and don't drink at all. But, I'll try to give some money to the charity, instead later on.

Out of curiously, I was wondering what's the inside of my BT35A G.P.O. Junction box looks like, so I take some photos, so that I won't have to open up the junction box again, as the wire on both sides are too weak, worried that, the wires might snapped again, like it did last year on BT Engineer while checking out my phone line.

OMG!!! Its looks much worst than the inside of external junction box. I was very confused at first, but after comparing the pictures in BT wiring question, the photo of my external junction box - left hand side and the photos of the inside of my BT35A junction box, I'm guessing the following order will be in:

• Blue wire with White stripes - Non-NTE5: Pin 2 to New NTE5: Pin B = Orange - top, 1st hole
      • White wire with Blue stripes - Non-NTE5: Pin 5 to New NTE5: Pin A = White - bottom, 2nd hole

So, my new wiring configuration will be in the following order:

• Blue wire with White stripes - External Black Junction box: 1st hole to New NTE5: Pin B
      • White wire with Blue stripes - External Black Junction box: 2nd hole to New NTE5: Pin A

That's too easy, I guess that I've solved my own mystery case on tracing which wires goes to!! BT was thinking that they're very smart, trying to get myself confused me as well getting myself in a big panic, losing my interest and changing my mind about doing my own wiring at the same time, but they're wrong and I'm still very eager to do my own wiring with full speed ahead!! I'm too exicted now, couldn't wait for my bits and pieces to come to me!!

Only one thing I do know is NEVER! NEVER EVER do it on the raining day, as its ends up being electrocuted! The same goes with if the ground or wall and even the external junction box is completely wet!

Update on 24-11-09 02:45: I just find out that Tony (BT Engineer) has put the wires in my External Black Junction Box wrong way round. According to BT wiring question and TELEPHONE SOCKET INSTALLATION web sites, it should be the following:

• White wire with Blue stripes - White/Orange (White) - External Junction box: 1st hole – top (A) to New NTE5: Pin A (Pin 5)
      • Blue wire with White stripes - Orange - External Junction box: 2nd hole – bottom (B) to New NTE5: Pin B (Pin 2)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0596.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0598.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0599.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0600.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0601.jpg  

Last edited by jonathanen; 24-11-09 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks

Both are CW1308 so they should be the same. The quality of the eBay one might not be so good, but I don't really know.

Update: You're extremely right again!! I just received a reply by email from the Seller on Ebay for Telephone Cable 6 Pair (CW1308) WHITE reel 100m. Paul (The Seller) says "Hi, it is almost the same, maplin sells tinned copper wires (helps with solder joints) whilst ours is plain copper. Both versions are defined in the standard. Both versions will work without problems in domestic environments."

So, I'm more better off going to Maplin and buy 6W Phone Cable White - Ref No: XS04E, 0.79 per metre x 20m.

In a matter of a fact I'm going to Maplin right now and buy 20m of 6W Phone Cable White before they ran out!!

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You could always get your cable from here run-IT-direct, Online Shop-Pay Pal & Google Checkout Payments .

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Tom, that is such a great reply, I felt I needed to acknowledge it. As always, myself and Glenn have always said that our site is free, for its members and guests, and that we would never ever charge members or guests to use it or to benefit from it. Thank you for upholding our values.

@jonathanen - I have found that PSU if you still want it.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

I would say the white cable on the left is probably an indoor class cable and is the same as the grey one on the right which is an outdoor type. Both of these are twisted pair multi core cable. Yours is the older four core cable. If you are going to replace this, you would be better running it all the way to your master socket, rather than replace the junction box.

The difference between BT80A & BT80A RF3 is that the former is a straight forward Junction box, the latter is the same but incorporating RF filters to reduce radio interference on telephone line.
      Hi Isitme, I just purchase 6 Way Phone Cable White - 3 Pair Telephone Cable - Ref No: XS04E, 0.79 per metre x 20m from Maplin about 8 mins before Maplin closes at 6pm. It has both Blue/White and White/Blue pair of wires, but its looks very small and soft, easy to squeeze the outer white covering, while the next door neighbour's white wire on the left is quite hard to squeeze the outer white covering! I think I got the wrong cable!

I don't think its the right one for connecting from External Black Junction box on the outside of my house all the way to Internal Master NTE5 Socket. I'll send it back to Maplin tommorrow and get my money back. I think I need CW1378 Dropwire

What's your opinion about this? Which wire that BT/Openreach uses at the moment for wiring outside of the house all the way to the telephone pole / external NTE and its the White colour one?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0602.jpg   My horrible BT phone line set up...-dscn0603.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      @jonathanen - I have found that PSU if you still want it.
      Yes, please. I still want the PSU. I'll be very grateful if you could send me your PSU.

Cheers,
      Jonathan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Hi Isitme, I just purchase 6 Way Phone Cable White - 3 Pair Telephone Cable - Ref No: XS04E, 0.79 per metre x 20m from Maplin about 8 mins before Maplin closes at 6pm. It has both Blue/White and White/Blue pair of wires, but its looks very small and soft, easy to squeeze the outer white covering, while the next door neighbour's white wire on the left is quite hard to squeeze the outer white covering! I think I got the wrong cable!

I don't think its the right one for connecting from External Black Junction box on the outside of my house all the way to Internal Master NTE5 Socket. I'll send it back to Maplin tommorrow and get my money back. I think I need CW1378 Dropwire

What's your opinion about this? Which wire that BT/Openreach uses at the moment for wiring outside of the house all the way to the telephone pole / external NTE and its the White colour one?
      Update: I just realised, the other one is 4 pair Telephone Cable - 8 wires because my intercom for answering and opening the front door says "4 PAIRX0.5MM TELEPHONE CABLE", and the one I bought is 3 Pair Telephone Cable - 6 wires, that's why mine one is quite soft and the next neighbour has 8 wires, making it more thicker in therefore, making it quite hard to squeeze the outer white covering. Both mine one and neighbour is 0.5mm diameter, so that's ok to use on the outside, as the External Junction Box will cover the wires inside, make it safe to use! Phew!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Dropwire is special wire used to connect between the house and the pole. It is normal twisted pair with the addition of a number of steel wires which act as support for the cable, strengthening it and helping to stop it sagging.

Your neighbours wires are probably external CW1308 which has a special lining which makes the cable stiffer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Dropwire is special wire used to connect between the house and the pole. It is normal twisted pair with the addition of a number of steel wires which act as support for the cable, strengthening it and helping to stop it sagging.

Your neighbours wires are probably external CW1308 which has a special lining which makes the cable stiffer.
      That's means I can't use the Maplin 3 Pair Telephone cable that I've just bought, then?

By the way, I purchased 1 x KRONE Type IDC Punch Down Tool from Ebay for 2.89, just in case.

Ah! I think its CW1308B - Internal / External Telecom Cable - 10 Pair that I new to get from Minitran
      Last edited by jonathanen; 22-11-09 at 10:00 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast