Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Just one caveat, BT class the master socket as the demarcation point, not the outside junction ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just one caveat, BT class the master socket as the demarcation point, not the outside junction box, so you would be breaking their regulations by doing what you suggest. There is not likely to be any problem, as long as you do it correctly. If you get it wrong and have to call in BT to sort it out, you are likely to get a big bill.

I would leave the old wire in place connected up until you have connected and tested the new wire. When it tests OK, remove the old wire. Be very careful you do not damage your neighbours line, or the bill will be very high indeed.

Your wire colour proposals should be fine.
      Ah! That's old outside junction box then, in that case, its a good thing that I've 6 spare slots left: 1 & 5-10 to practice with, leaving the other 3 as it is! I might use either No 1 or No 9 - both of them are on the left hand side, that way, I won't touch my neighbours line except only mine while using either slot 1 or 9, preferly, I might use No 1, so that I won't knock off my old line connection while practicing with the new line connection.

I'll note them as reference:

1. Mine one is No 3 - left hand,
      2. Downstairs neighbour is No 2 - right hand
      3. Next door neighbour is No 4 - right hand.

As for the Telephone Cable Type CW1308 - wiring for from NTE5 Master Socket inside to black junction box outside, I'll get 6W Phone Cable White - Ref No: XS04E, 0.79 per metre from Maplin. I can buy 20 metres (15.80 - just in case) instead of 18 metres (14.22) of 6W CW1308 cable from Maplin easily, as its only 10mins bus ride away from my house or shall I buy Telephone Cable 6 Pair (CW1308) WHITE reel 100m from Ebay for 25.36 (18.52 + 6.84 p&p), just in case that I can use the remaining appro 80m for hard wiring all my extensions in the future, but I'm not sure that is it the same as the 6W Phone Cable White from Maplin.

Then, all I've to do is wait until both BT Openreach NTE5 Master Socket & ADSL Nation Microfilter has arrived to my door step by post and get started to do the real thing. Oh, boy!! I can't wait to see how the results will turned out to be???

And if it comes out with perfect results, then the finally bit will be making a phone call straight to Sky without delay for lifting the cap / configurating my line speeds to be the new change of upto 20MB download & upto 1.3MB upload spec instead of staying struck onto the previous upto16MB download & upto 768KB upload spec.

As a bonus: I get a chance to ripped out all full of old & crappy phone wires, piece of trailer park trash BT35A G.P.O Junction box and laughing my head off!!! Saying "If BT don't want to replace my 36 years old fashioned wiring, then they leave me no choice except to do it by myself the hard way, its your lose at the end of the day and I've got perfect results for very cheap price!!!" And my pockets are still full, lol! :

In the meantime, I just do more research for how to rewiring onto external black junction box (I know how to do wiring with 2 wires onto NTE5 Master Socket bit), so that as soon when both BT Openreach NTE5 Master Socket & ADSL Nation Microfilter has arrived to me, I can get started straight away, that way, I won't get struck forgetting which wire to connect onto or get confused on the halfway through working on with my phone wire.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 21-11-09 at 05:10 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I would say the white cable on the left is probably an indoor class cable and is the same as the grey one on the right which is an outdoor type. Both of these are twisted pair multi core cable. Yours is the older four core cable. If you are going to replace this, you would be better running it all the way to your master socket, rather than replace the junction box.
      Isitme, you're extremely right about my "older four core cable", according to Telephone Wiring Tips web site web site, it says "Older houses often contain 4 conductor "quad" cable. This cable often contains four wires which are solid in color. The wire colors are almost always red, green, yellow, and black. If you decide to use these wires, you will not obtain the highest quality voice or data signal." Thanks for pointing that out!

See! I'm right alone as usually!! my mum & I always arguing over the phone with BT (after I've keep telling her that we need to change the phone line very badly, its too, too old fashioned, completely out of date, IT'S 2009, not 1970s) and BT keep saying that my old phone is fine, as they find no faults on my line, when it’s not fine!!! Just because they can hear me talking on the phone, it doesn't automatically mean my phone line is perfect working order!

We keep hearing hisses, pops and sometimes, we can't hear at all, my mum has to shout out very loud on the phone, so that the other person on the other side of the phone call can hear what my mum is saying and visa versa.

Also, that explains why I've disconnects sometimes or I can't get over 15.3MB when I'm only 965 metres away (about 1km away according to Sky) from Maida Vale exchange and Sky said that my phone supports only 13.8MB when I've signed up Sky BB Max 2 years ago, so that means my old current phone line supports up to 13.8MB, after my new phone line configuration has completed, it will probably supports more than 13.8MB, possibly increasing the noise margin figure which is all good for me (more room for improvement to increase in speed), and reducing the Attenuation a little bit.

I hate BT so much now, they are full of idiots, thinking they know better than their customers, well they are completely wrong and full of BS, only they good at taking customers hard earned money and ripping their customers off at the same time!! According to my mum, they are thieves and she is absolutely right!!

From my understanding, rewiring the phone line onto NTE5 Master Socket is like adding Stereo speakers by connecting speaker wires onto the back of Stereo Amplifier all the way onto the back of Stereo Speakers as well! Also, its like Fitting a British Electrical Plug with 3A / 5A / 13A fuse (depending on electrical appliances), for instance, sometimes when you buy electronic goods like TV, Radio, Kettle, Alarm Clock, etc. but the electric plug with fuse fitted is missing, so what do you do? Buy a electric plug with 5A or 13A Fuse, remove the screws as well the cover for the plug, cut a little outer insulation, feed the wires through in the following order:

• Brown - Live
      • Blue - Neutral
      • Yellow and green - Earth

and if you have some old style appliances, they may well be in different order:

• Red - Live
      • Black - Neutral
      • Green - Earth

Secure them by tighting the screws and put the cover back on, secure it with a screw and plug it into electric socket to see it works! That's the way, I see it!! If you think about it!

Oh, oh! Houston we have a problem! Why the damn NTE5 Master socket (from the photos on the Internet) has the wire insertion on the left hand for putting the incoming BT wires A & B inside the NTE5 Socket (not the face plate with bell filter), I wish it was on the right hand side, because the interior wire comes in from the right hand side, not the left hand side!! Oh, well I just feed it in from the bottom of NTE5 Socket and feed the wires from hard wired extensions (if I add them later in the future) on the left hand side.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 21-11-09 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks

Update: I've decided to take some more photos of my outside junction box as follows:

Photo 1 - Left hand side
      Photo 2 - Right hand side
      Photo 3 - Right hand side
      Photo 4 - Front view
      Photo 5 - Underneath
      Photo 6- Instructions
      Photo 7 - Instructions
      Photo 8 - current wired up from BT Engineer from last year, March on BT35A G.P.O Junction box

It looks too easy to do!! Only two wires to do it!

According to Homestead - Bulk Cable - Voice Web site & Telephone Cable Internal Grade CW1308 Multipair, I think I get the pattern now as follows:
      • 2 Pair = 4 wires
      • 3 Pair = 6 wires
      • 4 Pair = 8 wires - Minimum Pair Requirement for Your Line
      • 5 Pair = 10 wires
      • 6 Pair = 12 wires - Minimum Pair Requirement for Your Line & Highly recommended To Use That's the one, I'm planning to buy!

Twisted pair - As a small reference for me (or everybody) to remember, just in case, forgotten which one is which

6 wires in three groups of two. Each group of two is twisted together, so you have the following as one pair - twisted together:
      • Blue wire with White stripes - Non-NTE5: Pin 2 to New NTE5: Pin B
      • White wire with Blue stripes - Non-NTE5: Pin 5 to New NTE5: Pin A

I guess that, the more pair type & more wires, the better, as long they are Twisted pair multircore! No wonder its very important to know which cable to buy and which one is most suitable for both Voice & ADSL, make sure that no-one can try to ripped you off by offering you with some other old rubbish cable like older 4 core conductor "quad" cable or flat type cable!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 21-11-09 at 01:15 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I guess that, the more pair type & more wires, the better,
      Not really, you are only going to use one pair, the rest are redundant. I can't get your links to -http://www.homestead.co.uk, to load, so I don't know what they are referring to when they talk about 'minimum requirements'. 3 or 4 pair would be more than sufficient, but only for wire strength, 2 or 3 pairs are not going to be used.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Not really, you are only going to use one pair, the rest are redundant. I can't get your links to -http://www.homestead.co.uk, to load, so I don't know what they are referring to when they talk about 'minimum requirements'. 3 or 4 pair would be more than sufficient, but only for wire strength, 2 or 3 pairs are not going to be used.
      I meant that its good to have more pairs & wires, just in case, one of them is damaged, so use with another pair! Its very useful, though! i didn't know that about before until now!

I was referring to Telephone Wiring Tips web site about the 'minimum requirements' bit.

As for the homestead.co.uk link, that's strange, it was working before, but good thing that I've the saved Telephone Cable Internal Grade CW1308 Multipair page onto my HDD, just in case!

Thanks

Hi Isitme, quick question:

Is the Telephone Cable 6 Pair (CW1308) WHITE reel 100m from Ebay, is the same as the 6W Phone Cable White - Ref No: XS04E, 0.79 per metre from Maplin?

Thanks

Both are CW1308 so they should be the same. The quality of the eBay one might not be so good, but I don't really know.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Both are CW1308 so they should be the same. The quality of the eBay one might not be so good, but I don't really know.

Thanks again, Isitme! I'll get back to this one later on. One last question:

As for either Photo 6- Instructions or Photo 7 - Instructions, Do I required to remove some insulation (stripping) from 1 pair of 2 wires about 40mm in length even I'm using CW1308 type cable, not drop wire 4 and 8? I don't think I need to remove some, except only when connecting onto NTE5 Master Socket, but I just need to be 100% sure, though!

Thanks

According to these instructions you don't need to strip the wire unless the temperature has dropped to freezing point or below. This is probably because at low temps the wire cover would harden and the screw would not cut it when it was screwed in.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

According to these instructions you don't need to strip the wire unless the temperature has dropped to freezing point or below. This is probably because at low temps the wire cover would harden and the screw would not cut it when it was screwed in.
      Perfect!!! I think, I'm fully prepared now and ready to do. All I got to do now is wait for both my NTE5 Socket & ADSL Nation Mircofiler to come to me, hopefully Monday and get started straight away.

I'm thinking that its too, too easy, only 2 wires to do for one phone line!!!

I owe you big time for this!!

PM me your full name & address, so that I'll post you a cheque, that's the least I can do for you, as you've helped me quite a lot with my old BT phone line problem via Skyuser Forum.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast