Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Smithy99 Speeds are an upto speed, the main thing that affects this is the distance from the ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Speeds are an upto speed, the main thing that affects this is the distance from the exchange and you cannot move your house closer.

Consider it this way:-

You have a car that can do a max speed of 70MPH, great on the motorway as you can reach the top speed, if they then change the speed limit on the motorway to 150MPH, you will see no benefit, you car can still only do 70MPH.

Same with your speed, your attenuation of 31db should give around 12-14mb so you are gettin 15mb+ so already have a good clear line, it is just a bit to far away from the exchange to get 20mb, even if they upped the exchange to 100mb , you would still not be able to get it.

My advice, if you want it tidy then fit all the above but you won't be able to use the phone lock thingy, other than that LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
      I completely understand what are you saying and its does makes sense, I loved your car example, by the way.

Its like the same as the computer motherboard, if you want the computer to go much faster, like the latest PCs at the moment e.g. Dell XPS 730 with 8GB RAM, Intel Quad Core processor of 2.33 Ghz with overlocking facilty to 3Ghz+, you'll see the huge performance, but if your old motherboard supports up to 512MB RAM and upto 900MHz Intel Celeron processor, then you'll see no benefit, as its only it clocks up to 900MHz!

But the point I'm trying to make was I don't get why some have people have the full 16MB and has more line attenuation than me e.g. julianfrancis, englishrick, steveblue and so on. That's what I trying to say unless they have the best up to standard wiring style with both External NTE and NTE5 Master sockets installed. In my case, its is determined principally by the length of your line and its condition. (Note that old wiring is more susceptible to interference and faults.) Not only the distance from the exchange!

I'll remove the Commtel Phone guard forever soon when my mum finally decides when its time to re-decorating the whole living room (probably next year or never at all), my mum probably get the Openreach engineer involved (probably by then, the prices will go up much more) for the old BT phone line wiring replaced too! That time, I'll make sure that BT Openreach will install 3 x hard wire extensions + 1 hard wired filtered faceplate for only ADSL and I'll fit the XTE-2005 faceplate after Openreach engineer has left.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-07-09 at 03:21 PM.

2. Advertisement
      GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

This does seem like a HELL of a lot of time and effort, just to squeeze a few extra MB out of a connection that is probably in the top 10% of what most users get anyway...

Mike
      Last edited by GSMGuy; 23-07-09 at 04:54 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That time, I'll make sure that BT Openreach will install 3 x hard wire extensions + 1 hard wired filtered faceplate for only ADSL and I'll fit the XTE-2005 faceplate after Openreach engineer has left.
      That will cost a lot!!! There is not point in fitting a filtered faceplate to one extension without fitting a filtered faceplate to the Master socket. If you get that much done it would be as well getting the faceplate fitted by BTO.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

While I've been thinking about why my Line testing / DLM is not started yet when the upgrade for my local exchange - Maida Vale is completed and Status Clear on 04/11/2009 10:35:06? According to Easynet > Support Portal web site (almost at the bottom of the page). Also, why my broadband usage is not yet to display in My Sky page as well or why Sky didn't adjusted my line speeds manually?

I think that I'll just replace my old Non-NTE5 LJU2/2A PABX BT Master IDC socket with the latest BT Openreach faceplate by myself as soon my BT Openreach faceplate has arrived to me by post, as I've ordered one of them from Ebay for 5.87 inc p&p, but no back box and leave the rest e.g. the BT35A G.P.O. Junction box, drop wire, etc as it is.

That way, its saves me a lot of money from hiring the so call "BT Engineers", plus since they didn't replace it for me when they've have to check my line out from last year, March and has the wiring has snapped two times, I do it the hard way, and learn it at the same time! As for the back box, I just remove the old Cable London (Virgin Media) NTE5 Master socket from the wall completely and use the back box from it.

But I have three questions:

1. If I buy ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Filtered Faceplate (10.99), can I remove the Sky Filter, plug in all extension lead/splitter adaptors (plug in connectors) into the Phone side of the XTE-2005 and 20 metre twisted round pair modem lead into modem side of the XTE-2005, would I still get the perfect high sync connection?
      2. Or is it better to buy ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilter (7.99) instead and transfer all the connections including all 4 house phones - REN: 4 in total from Sky supplied Microfilter onto the new ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilter?
      3. Is it the correct following wire set up:

Blue/White (Blue with small White spot) - Pin 2 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin B on new NTE5
        White/Blue (White with small blue spot) - Pin 5 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin A on new NTE5

Bascially, all I need is just pull them out the 2 existing wires and remove a little insulation for the 2 wires push in and then screw them on the terminals for A & B to make the 2 wires secured.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 20-11-09 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

I think you have wasted your money on the eBay purchase. You have no ring wire at the master socket, so it was never going to be any use. As you do not have any extensions hardwired into the master socket you do not need a NTE5 and filterplate, unless you intend to install extensions in the future.

All you need really is a good quality plug in filter, such as the one in your part 2. Your modem plugs into one side of it and everything else you want connected plugs into the other. The only advantage in fitting a NTE5 filtered box would be cosmetic.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you have wasted your money on the eBay purchase. You have no ring wire at the master socket, so it was never going to be any use. As you do not have any extensions hardwired into the master socket you do not need a NTE5 and filterplate, unless you intend to install extensions in the future.

All you need really is a good quality plug in filter, such as the one in your part 2. Your modem plugs into one side of it and everything else you want connected plugs into the other. The only advantage in fitting a NTE5 filtered box would be cosmetic.
      Ah, thank very much Isitme!! That's the answer I've been waiting for!! Good thing that I've ordered ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilter (7.99 + 1.50 p&p), as I've spoken to ASDL Nation Technical Support, asking them which is better to get - XTE-2005 Faceplate or XF-1e Microfilter after I've fitted the latest NTE5 Master Socket? The guy said that the results will be the same either way, so I'm more better off buying the XF-1e Microfilter because I have 4 x cheap plug in extensions and the Commtel phone guard, hopefully, my Microfilter comes to me this Monday, I can't wait!

As for the Ebay purchase, its nothing, as its only 5.87! I thought that, I better buy the official BT Openreach master socket quickly before there is no more selling them on Ebay soon or become very expensive soon, additional to that, BT won't come replace it for free, unless I pay 168 for only replacing my Non-NTE5 socket to the latest NTE5 socket, no way in hell, I'm paying this amount of money!!

So I'm more better off to buy one and do it myself, that way, I can both learn and experiment it the hard way slowly in my own time to see how easy it is to do, so that I can do my own socket when I'm moving out soon in the future.

By the way, is the wiring set up in Question 3 is correct? So that I can get myself prepared to do the job while waiting for my new NTE5 from Ebay to come to me.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 20-11-09 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks

Since I got the BT Master Socket query sorted!

Now, that's brings me to next question, as I'm a bit confused now, the close up of Main Distribution Point / Demarcation Point.
      I'm wondering that which one out of these drop wires is the most better - the latest style drop wire out of the three? My Black drop wire or the white wire on the bottom left (next door neighbour) or the brown (white brownish colour) on the bottom right (down stairs neighbour), he has BT (non-Openreach brand) NTE5 Master Socket with pre 2007 faceplate & White BT80A connector. Or are they all old drop wires?

If so, which one is the latest Drop wire? Is CW1378 Dropwire No.10 or No. 11 is the latest one?

According to BT wiring question, I think I got it now, I can replace my Brown G.P.O. BT35A Junction Box into BT80A connector easily. Ah, ha! That's what got me now, what's the difference between BT80A & BT80A RF3? - From Kitz - BT Phone Sockets web site

It looks like I have all the information that I need as follows, just in case, if I'm struck, which I doubt it:

1. Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring
      2. Telephones UK - Wiring Information
      3. Tools & Installations
      4. Kitz - BT Phone Sockets
      5. UK Telephone Wiring
      6. Clarity UK ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate
      Last edited by jonathanen; 21-11-09 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks

I would say the white cable on the left is probably an indoor class cable and is the same as the grey one on the right which is an outdoor type. Both of these are twisted pair multi core cable. Yours is the older four core cable. If you are going to replace this, you would be better running it all the way to your master socket, rather than replace the junction box.

The difference between BT80A & BT80A RF3 is that the former is a straight forward Junction box, the latter is the same but incorporating RF filters to reduce radio interference on telephone line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would say the white cable on the left is probably an indoor class cable and is the same as the grey one on the right which is an outdoor type. Both of these are twisted pair multi core cable. Yours is the older four core cable. If you are going to replace this, you would be better running it all the way to your master socket, rather than replace the junction box.

The difference between BT80A & BT80A RF3 is that the former is a straight forward Junction box, the latter is the same but incorporating RF filters to reduce radio interference on telephone line.
      Wow! Thanks again, Isitme!! You're a life saver!!

Basically, you're saying is all I only need is one very LONG wire (11.85m + 6.1m = 17.95m or 18m) from the Main Distribution Point / Demarcation Point outside to the new BT Openreach NTE5 Master Socket and that's it? Seriously?

In that case, I think I'll get the CW1308 indoor type cable, making it easier for me when connecting both ends as follows:

Blue/White (Blue with small White spot) - Pin B on new NTE5 Master Socket inside to Blue/White (Blue with small White spot) on Main Distribution Point / Demarcation Point outside
      White/Blue (White with small blue spot) - Pin A on new NTE5 Master Socket inside to White/Blue (White with small blue spot) on Main Distribution Point / Demarcation Point outside

What's your opinion about this? Please let me know.

No need to get external drop wire, BT80A RF3 Connector or External NTE! Only new NTE5 Master Socket & 18m of either CW1308 Interior or exterior BT Cable! You've made my life much easier now! Lovely and sweet!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 20-11-09 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks

Just one caveat, BT class the master socket as the demarcation point, not the outside junction box, so you would be breaking their regulations by doing what you suggest. There is not likely to be any problem, as long as you do it correctly. If you get it wrong and have to call in BT to sort it out, you are likely to get a big bill.

I would leave the old wire in place connected up until you have connected and tested the new wire. When it tests OK, remove the old wire. Be very careful you do not damage your neighbours line, or the bill will be very high indeed.

Your wire colour proposals should be fine.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast