Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Drop cable replacement?

This is a discussion on Drop cable replacement? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; From the distance I am to the exchange and the attenuation I get (28dB) I should be able to get ...

mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Drop cable replacement?

From the distance I am to the exchange and the attenuation I get (28dB) I should be able to get a much faster speed than the 9120kbps I get at the moment. I was capped at this (on G.DMT) as any higher speed or being put on ADSL2+ apparently introduced errors (which seems reasonable looking at the SNR I am achieving).
      My SNR hovers around 7-9dB (this is the same when plugged into the test socket so internal wiring is not at fault). This low SNR is probably caused by the condition of the drop cable to my house (it is about 30 years old). Would BT be prepared to repair this for free or would they refuse to due to it not being a voice problem?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Drop cable replacement?

Do check that when you use the test socket, all other extension telephone sockets or anything else you have connected to the phone line, has no dial tone.
      This should never be assumed, it is perfectly possible to wire phone extensions other than through the master socket.

Thanks

All extensions where definitely disconnected (the master socket is fitted where the drop cable enters the house and all extensions are wired to the faceplate). The next junction from there is somewhere at the top of our drive at the top of a telephone pole (BT property).

Thanks

O.k well the bad news is that as long as the voice side of things is o.k (dial a single digit, and listen, there should just be a low hiss) then BT/Openreach would not replace the overhead line from the pole to your home for free, If you phone is at all noisy, then report this to whoever you pay your line rental to. For poor BB performance, contact your ISP who would contact Openreach if it is a line problem.

The problem with Broadband is that it is a "best effort" service and there may be nothing wrong with your line, but it will not support the speed you think it should, if the voice side of things is good, then contact Sky about BB

Thanks

The voice side of things is fine unfortunately. If I contact sky and they contact openreach would I end up having to pay for any work they do (I hear they can be very expensive)? Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Yes, If voice is fine and you are sure about the test socket and other extensions, alarm panels,sky boxes etc having no dial tone, then you need to contact sky. If they say there is not a problem but you would still like the overhead replaced, then you pay. If sky can detect a line problem, then they will contact Openreach and you dont pay, but if your problem is just low speed for your attenuation i dont think Sky would contact Openreach.
      The cost of an overhead replacement would depend on the individual job, but would be well into 3 figures

Thanks

I emailed sky today (the contact form hasn't been working for the last few days) and my router just resynced at 14887 kbps! I have a noise margin of 7.4dB (the same as before?) and a higher attenuation of 32.4dB (somehow).
      I hav'nt got a clue how I now have a much higher speed with the same noise margin (ADSL2+ vs G.DMT?) but whatever I am happy now haha. I wonder why I was put on G.DMT in the first place...