Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help in resolving noisy line for good

This is a discussion on Help in resolving noisy line for good within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Noise is back (intermitant as before) even whilst plugged in to the master socket....

Lemmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Entanet via Adsl24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help in resolving noisy line for good

Noise is back (intermitant as before) even whilst plugged in to the master socket.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Do you mean the master or the test socket, the test socket is the only one hat rules out the rest of the internal wiring.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Excuse me, I meant test socket. My isp have said BT say its electrical interference, which I dont believe, they havent physically checked any line to the exchange or the equipment within it, which is where I believe the problem lies. I'm not paying for a REIN engineer to come out before they've explored those avenues. Can I say that?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

they havent physically checked any line to the exchange or the equipment within it, which is where I believe the problem lies
      I would think it was standard practise to check your line after fitting a new master socket. I don't think it would be possible to actually physically check your line back to the exchange, the BT engineers have equipment to do this.

You did not say previously that the noise was intermittent or I think we would have advised running it in the Test socket for at least 24 hours, to be sure the noise had gone. The fact remains, if you have noise on your external line it is up to BT to fix it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

As isitme says if the noise is present on the line when in the test socket(& you have made sure all extensions go dead when this is revealed), all you can do is check the modem/router/adsl filters/telephone on a known working line, if they check out OK it's a BT fault.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

UPDATE:
      Had two clear days of no noise on the line,typical!!!! So no noise on the line whilst BT guy visited

Had BT engineer out yesterday. First thing he did was to secure my drop line to a proper bracket and put a coil around the drop line, He said someone had moved the line at some point previously and not secured it properly (there was a slight amount of slack I'd already noticed but didnt think it was to relevant).

Next he went up the pole opened the box up and the wiring came free just buy gently pulling, which he said could have created a bad connection. He semed quite knowledgable and wad pretty helpful. Said that we do have have problems with REIN in my area (North Wales) but he didnt think it was that that was causing my noise on the line as I wouldnt be able to hear REIN as audilbe noise on my line. I dont think he thought he had fixed the fault and we both reckon this is a HR fault.

So now three days without noise on the line. I reckon todays the day for it come back. Will have to see how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12