Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL extension from NTE 2005e master plate

This is a discussion on ADSL extension from NTE 2005e master plate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I intend to run an ADSL cable from my BT master (which has the ADSL nation faceplate fitted ) to ...

dubbsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ADSL extension from NTE 2005e master plate

I intend to run an ADSL cable from my BT master (which has the ADSL nation faceplate fitted ) to another room so that I can place my router next to the PC. distance is approx 20 meters.
      I dont have any extenstion boxes in the house, just a nice new BT master
      A few of questions that i need to be sure of before i start....

1. What is the best cable option, I see shielded highspeep adsl, I see Cat 5 e and CW1008 ?. off course I don't want to loose any performance

2. Should I plug directly into the adsl port on the faceplate or hardwire into A & B inside on the faceplate?

3. Can I buy the cable not terminated and add the connectors myself as these will interfere runing through a couple of small holes?

4. This line is soley for my BB , can you advise what wires in the prefered cable I should be terminating?

P.S I know i could use home plugs , but want to have hard wiring in place,

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ADSL extension from NTE 2005e master plate

Quote Originally Posted by dubbsy View Post
      I intend to run an ADSL cable from my BT master (which has the ADSL nation faceplate fitted ) to another room so that I can place my router next to the PC. distance is approx 20 meters.
      I dont have any extenstion boxes in the house, just a nice new BT master
      A few of questions that i need to be sure of before i start....

1. What is the best cable option, I see shielded highspeep adsl, I see Cat 5 e and CW1008 ?. off course I don't want to loose any performance
      Cat5e will be fine.
      2. Should I plug directly into the adsl port on the faceplate or hardwire into A & B inside on the faceplate?
      A&B in the faceplate
      3. Can I buy the cable not terminated and add the connectors myself as these will interfere runing through a couple of small holes?
      Yep
      4. This line is soley for my BB , can you advise what wires in the prefered cable I should be terminating?
      Any of the pairs will do just make sure you dont mix them up at either end
      Last edited by dholdi; 16-05-09 at 09:35 PM.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would suggest that rather than putting an RJ11 connector on the end you simply use the bare cable and put a filtered telephone socket on the end because standard CW1308 or CAT5 cable is solid core that should be installed in a permanent way. Flexing that would occur to the end of the cable each time your modem gets moved would eventually cause the wire to break.

So if you connect the extension wire to the IDC terminals on the rear and then terminate with a filtered socket then you would use a short ready made flexible RJ11 cable to connect your modem to the ADSL out let and have a spare phone connector should you at any time want to connect a phone, dial-up modem, sky box etc to it.
      adslnation

Thanks

^^^^ Yep, should have mentioned that as thats exactly the way I did mine with cat5e, cheers adsl.

dubbsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks all, so just to confirm as I am new to all this

Use Cat 5 instead of any of the listed high speed ADSL cable I have seen, connect to the master BT via the ADSL nation faceplate behind at the A&B connectors.
      Then run the cable to a filtered phone socket, -
      I have a spare master socket that NTL left behind, could I use this and add a ADSL nation 2005 faceplate to it wire the Cat 5 cable to the A& B then run a short flexi adsl cable to the modem ?
      Does it matter that I will have 2 filters , one at the master and one at the modem end ?

Thanks

Yes that should be fine, tho you wont need filters if using filtered faceplates.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all, so just to confirm as I am new to all this

Use Cat 5 instead of any of the listed high speed ADSL cable I have seen, connect to the master BT via the ADSL nation faceplate behind at the A&B connectors.
      Then run the cable to a filtered phone socket, -
      I have a spare master socket that NTL left behind, could I use this and add a ADSL nation 2005 faceplate to it wire the Cat 5 cable to the A& B then run a short flexi adsl cable to the modem ?
      Does it matter that I will have 2 filters , one at the master and one at the modem end ?
      Yes, by connecting your extension to the A&B terminals on your XTE-2005 the extension will carry the unfiltered signal containing both ADSL & Voice signals.

You could use the NTL master socket if you like but I wouldn't bother fitting an XTE-2005 to an extension. The point of a filtered faceplate is to allow you to fit a filter to your master while staying within the terms and conditions of supply. It is an unnecessary expense for an extension, instead you could use an XTF socket that is the complete box and costs less than a master faceplate. Having 2 filters is fine as the first one is effectively being bypassed.
      adslnation