Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to wire master socket to Netgear router

This is a discussion on Best way to wire master socket to Netgear router within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I need to connect my Netgear router to the master socket but the problem I have is that I cannot ...

windsor-tg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Best way to wire master socket to Netgear router

I need to connect my Netgear router to the master socket but the problem I have is that I cannot have my router near the master socket. My Netgear router is in my downstairs study and the master socket is under the stairs (hallway). The Netgear router needs to stay in the study.

I have been using an extension cable & socket to connect the router to the master socket but I have found this to cause the speed to drop compared to when I plug the router into the test socket within the master socket.

To complicate matters, I have extension cables running into the back of the NTE5 master socket but I cannot see these wires. I can only see two wires (orange & blue) that are connected to the back of the removable faceplate.

So, am I best to use a long RJ11 cable (one end connected to the filter which will be plugged into the master socket and the other end connected to the router in the study) or to run another cable/extension from the master socket to the router.

Please help.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Best way to wire master socket to Netgear router

Why can you not leave the router by the main socket and just run a long ethernet cable to the PC?

Thanks

I do not have an electrical socket nearby my master socket.

Also, I need to connect my work router to the Netgear router as well as some PCs (all in the study) so I really cannot have my Netgear router near the master socket.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you have other extensions in the house then it would make sense to filter these first, then run a dedicated ADSL extension to where the router is using a quality BT NTE2000 extension kit. Will the extension to the router need a phone point there too?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

One extension is at the other end of the house (kitchen) and the second extension is in the upstairs bedroom.

My master socket is a new NTE5 that contains an inductor. My understanding is that a BT NTE2000 extension kit can only be used if the master socket has a NTE2000 ADSL Front Plate. Mine does not.

Can I not use a normal ADSL extension from the master socket or is there a better alternative?

I do have a fax machine in the study where the router needs to be situated so ideally there needs to be a phone point to, to connect the fax.

What about the idea of a long RJ11 cable?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, personally i'd fit a filtered faceplate so the two current extensions are filtered (BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005)), then run some CW1308 to where the router/fax machine will go and fit one of these :-

BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11

You could run a long RJJ11 cable but you then wouldn't be able to have the fax machine off the same cable.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Runit's suggestion is the best, fit a filtered faceplate to the master to isolate your exitisting extensions, run the extension from the A-B terminals on the faceplate to your router position. Either use a filtered faceplate or a standard one or use a good quality plug in filter to connect your fax and router. Runitdirect will supply all the quality parts you need and give you a discount.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Isitme!

Just to clarify, the recommendation is to:

1. fit a filtered NTE2005 faceplate to the master NTE5 socket (as suggested by RUNITDIRECT
      2. use CW1308 cable from the filtered faceplate (NTE2005) to where the fax/router are in the study (the CW1308 will be wired to the A-B terminals of the filtered faceplate)
      3. Connect the other end of the CW1308 cable to either use a filtered BT socket or a standard one or a good quality plug in filter to connect my fax and router. What do you mean 'or a good quality plug in filter'?
      4. I can then use an RJ11 cable between the router and the filtered BT socket and an RJ45 cable between the fax and the filtered BT socket. Is that correct?

However:

1. where do I connect the existing two wires (solid blue & solid orange) that are attached to the NTE5 faceplate? These were wired by a BT engineer. I think what he done was he got all the extension cables that run at the back of the master socket and grouped them up so that they go into 2 & 5 on the faceplate (I hope I'm not wrong here!).
      2. Is anything connected to the front of the filtered faceplate (NTE2005)?
      3. Why cannot I run an ADSL extension cable from my existing master socket to where the router is in the study?
      4. What is the downside of running a long RJ11 cable (apart from not being able to connect the fax)?

Would

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by windsor-tg View Post
      Thanks Isitme!

1. where do I connect the existing two wires (solid blue & solid orange) that are attached to the NTE5 faceplate? These were wired by a BT engineer. I think what he done was he got all the extension cables that run at the back of the master socket and grouped them up so that they go into 2 & 5 on the faceplate (I hope I'm not wrong here!). Whatever is terminated to 2 & 5 on the NTE5 will disconnect & reconnect to 2 & 5 on the new filtered faceplate.2. Is anything connected to the front of the filtered faceplate (NTE2005)? You can plug a phone in or ADSL equipment if you want.3. Why cannot I run an ADSL extension cable from my existing master socket to where the router is in the study? You are then having all extensions with ADSL-not good for performance.
      4. What is the downside of running a long RJ11 cable (apart from not being able to connect the fax)?
      Again, you haven't sorted out all the extensions.Would
      Answers above.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies. I still have not got round to connecting my router correctly as I am in the middle of decorating!

I have read various posts about which is the best ADSL faceplate filter to have. Can someone please advise which is the best one I should go for?

The ones I have heard about are the XTE-2005 master faceplate (from ADSL Nation), the NTE2005 linebox 6-way version (from run-it-direct) and the Faceplate filter (from Tamar). Is there any difference between an XTE-2005 and an NTE2005?

Just to recap, my router is in my study. It is not possible to place the router near the NTE5 master socket in the hall as there is no convenient power socket there. I have extension wires that are all combined in the back of the master socket (done by a BT engineer) and then there are 2 wires (sold blue and solid orange) that come from all of these combined wires and are connected in slots 2 and 5 on the back of the existing NTE5 faceplate. I therefore want to run a 15m cable from the A-B connection on the back of the new faceplate filter to a new socket in the study.

Am I best to use a cat5 cable for this or a CW1308 cable? What type of socket do I need to use in the study? I want to connect my fax machine to this new socket in the study. Do I need to connect any more wires on the back of the new faceplate filter as well as the new socket study?

I assume I need to disconnect the 2 wires going into the back of the existing faceplate and connect these to slots 2 and 5 on the back of the new faceplate filter?

Finally, should I replace the standard RJ11 cable that came with my Netgear router with a better one?

Sorry for the 101 questions but I just want to get it right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast