Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NTE5 installation and some cabling questions

This is a discussion on NTE5 installation and some cabling questions within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. This forum has been a big help for research and has a very knowlegdeable member base. I just ...

ZeroAA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

NTE5 installation and some cabling questions

Hi everyone. This forum has been a big help for research and has a very knowlegdeable member base. I just wanted to ask you some questions.

I have currently signed up for Sky BB (Max), Talk and TV. Just got my router, and the line is to be activated some time in the coming week.

I have a master socket, but I believe it is the LJ type. I want to get the most from my broadband, so I am thinking of adding a newer NTE5 socket after the current master socket, by taking the "2 and 5" wires and connecting them to the "A and B" points on the NTE5.

Now, from here, I need to get my ADSL line upstairs to where I would like to keep modem router. Please can you advise me on what the correct method to do this would be?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: NTE5 installation and some cabling questions

What you would be best doing is replacing the existing master socket with the NTE5, its a simple job of just removing it and then fitting the NTE5 socket with the incoming cables to A & B (it doesn't matter which way around).

From here, if this is the only socket in the house I would fit a filter and the router and then run from the router with either a length of ethernet to the PC or use homeplugs (which is what I have).

If you must have the router upstairs then you could fit a filtered faceplate to the new NTE5 socket and then run an ADSL only sockt upstairs from it using good quality cable. Remember, if you do this it is only for ADSL not phone and you would also noeed NO extra filters as it is already filtered by the faceplate.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Ok, new NTE5 :-BT Socket, Master, NTE5 Type

It would make sense to fit a filtered faceplate :-BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005)
      If you are planning on extensions for phones this will filter them, if not then your master socket will be filtered for a phone to plug straight in.

For the ADSL extension you have a choice, for a dedicated ADSL ONLY extension BT have these high quality kits :-NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 30M
      If you'd rather a phone point where your ADSL modem/router will be then you could just use CW1308 cable and fit one of these :-BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

Smithy99, I was just thinking of putting a new NTE5 next to the current master socket, and using that as the "new" master socket. Is is not recommended to do it this way? Its not a problem for me to replace the current master socket if needed, however.

RUNITDIRECT, I too was thinking of using an extension and just an ADSL linbox. I only need a phone connection downstairs. Can I just make an extension myself using Cat5e cable and a linbox??

Also, about the filtered faceplate for the NTE5. Would I gain a big speed boost using it, or would having just the NTE5 and running an extension of there with a filtered linebox at the end suffice?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ideally you want the NTE5 to replace what you have(officially not supposed to but many people do!), do you plan to plug your phone into the NTE5 or will you be running extensions?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would like to use the phone at the NTE5 point, and run an extension to the router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, here is what i would do. Replace what you have with an NTE5A, to this fit a 6 way faceplate(NTE2005), you then have the bext possible filtering and can happily plug your phone into the master socket. For the ADSL extension either use the kit i suggested, CW1308 cable with the socket i suggested OR CW1308 cable with a surface mount RJ11 socket(that we also sell).(if you have your own CAt5e cable that will be fine too). If an external run is easier then we do external grade CAT5e.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I think thats what i will do. I have quite some Cat5e lying around, of the solid and shielded type i think, so I will use that with a RJ11 socket that I'll get from somewhere. Thanks again for the help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wouldn't use shielded cable-there is no ground connection on the faceplate and without a shielded RJ11 socket it would make no difference at all, infact without proper grounding shielded cable can cause problems!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I see. Ah well, I'll get some solid Cat5e from somewhere. I don't need lots of it, around 7 metres I believe.

EDIT: Just a quick question. When wiring up the RJ11 socket, I would use the unfiltered connections on the faceplate. But if these are unfiltered, what is the face plate's job?? Or does it filter out the rubbish and then provide a nice clean unfiltered line?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast