Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Question about RJ11 cables.

This is a discussion on Question about RJ11 cables. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is the RJ11 cable that sky provide with the router and standard quality cable or are there better quality cables, ...

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question about RJ11 cables.

Is the RJ11 cable that sky provide with the router and standard quality cable or are there better quality cables, and do the higher quality RJ11 cables help the connection in anyway.

Any comments welcome.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Question about RJ11 cables.

The RJ11 cable supplied with the router is not of a very high quality, although in most cases it is quite adequate. Higher quality cables are available and should always be used when you are placing the router more than a couple of metres from the phone socket. These are shielded and are less liable to pick up interference.

Changing the RJ11 is one of the recommended procedures when you are having connection difficulties. Belkin make good quality ADSL cables, but don't buy from the likes of PCWorld or Currys etc. Online stores are usually a good bit cheaper for the same item. eg -
      Belkin Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11M-M 7.6M: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice on RJ11 cables and the quality of them.

malcolmgb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283 EMBUR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ADSL Nation do a quality one called Pro+ in a variety of lengths with prices to match, been looking at them myself today.
      Sync at 11194Kbps

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I'm not sure I understand this. How come the signal can come all the way from the exchange to my house through a standard pair of unshielded copper wires yet suddenly the last few feet becomes more critical?

Thanks

That is one of the great mysteries of life and ADSL
      Cheap RJ11 cables which are parallel wired with no sheathing, act like an aerial picking up interference more readily.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marrtin View Post
      I'm not sure I understand this. How come the signal can come all the way from the exchange to my house through a standard pair of unshielded copper wires yet suddenly the last few feet becomes more critical?
      Indeed, does seem odd doesn't it, there are a number of factors that cause problems with ADSL in the house.

The first is the type of cable used, the cable that comes from the exchange is twisted pair where as the cable used in the home is commonly straight cable that is not twisted pair. A cable that is not twisted pair has no immunity to interference.

Secondly cables often run in close proximity to highly noisy devices, TV's, computers, sky boxes, etc all create a lot of RF interference, try not to have your cables to close to power supplies to your electrical equipment.

Third the telephone wiring scheme changes from a 2 wire system to a 3 wire system at the master socket. The third wire causes an imbalance on the wiring reducing the effectiveness of twisted pair wiring. This is why fitting an i-plate or filtered faceplate can make significant gains as it corrects this imbalance. Equally you can just remove the ring wire (terminal 3) an achieve some gains.
      adslnation

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I'm even more confused now.

As far as I know, BT lines to a property are not a "twisted pair", but an ordinary flat "side by side" cable. I used to do a lot of telecomms wiring, ok, before computers, but even so the same cable is used now.

In fact, the only twisted cable used is multicore, and that is only to help identify pairs when multiple white wires are used.

If the RJ11 lead is important, I assume it is because it is upstream of the filter??

Thanks

I am afraid you are wrong. Most of the wiring back to the exchange is twisted core. The only flat twin you will find on the line is the drop from the pole to the house. In many cases even this is TP. Next time you see a cabinet open, have a look at the wires the engineer is working with. You will not see any flat twin.
      The RJ11 cable is not filtered really, it is the phone side that is filtered from the ADSL. In fact if you are not using a phone or any other appliance you do not even need a filter. It is there to prevent 'cross talk' between the ADSL signal and your appliances.

TomD

Useful Utilites