Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cowboy wiring on house - advice required on fixing...

This is a discussion on Cowboy wiring on house - advice required on fixing... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Afternoon all, Need some advice on how best to resolve what mainly appears to be a cabling issue to my ...

Samba123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horndean
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cowboy wiring on house - advice required on fixing...

Afternoon all,

Need some advice on how best to resolve what mainly appears to be a cabling issue to my house. The previous owner of the house we bought about a year ago appears to have run some amateur cabling and it appears to be causing some issues. I basically want to rip it all out and start again.

I have an attenuation of 43 but my SNR is atrocious and I suffer constant drops and errors on the line. Often I can only connect at 2.5 meg when realistically I should be able to get over 5 meg on GDMT and over 10 meg on ADSL based on my router stats.

From the master BT junction box I can see 3 cables routing out - 2 go outside the house up to the spare room and 1 goes the other way through the garage.

The first pair of cables route to a socket in the spare bedroom - from that socket they both go to another socket in my home office. 1 appears to connect to the master socket / the other the test socket. Both sockets in the spare room and home office appear to be of the master socket type which is confusing in itself.

The other cable routes through the garage and then splits into 2 extensions - 1 routed outside the house around to the back bedroom and 1 then which goes into a extension socket in the kitchen and then a further extension socket in the lounge. All the cable appears to be internal phone cable

This all seems to be DIY wiring so what I'd like do is to run cat5e external cable from the BT junction box and replace the master socket in my home office (or get a professional to do it!) and dump every other cable. I have no need for it because we have cordless phones so a single socket is all I'd need.

Appreciate all thoughts and comments - it would appear I'm left tidying up someone else's crappy work but it would appear to be negatively impacting my own broadband...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Cowboy wiring on house - advice required on fixing...

Some photos of the boxes with the front plates removed would be helpful. Your idea of dispensing with the redundant sockets is a good one. The less wiring you have running around the better. I am not sure using Cat5e is the best way, to replace the wiring, TP phone cable may be better.

If your wiring has been done properly, removing the faceplate of the Master socket should disconnect the other sockets, but as your wiring was done by one of John Wayne's sidekicks, this might not be so in your case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

you won't see 10Mbps on an attenuation of 43...this'll go up to 46ish on adsl2+ so best you'd get is about 8Mbps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You first need to establish where the main BT cable enters the house, this is where you should put the master. Fit a filtered faceplate to it and then run the router from it. You can then run all the extensions you need off the master without affecting the ADSL.

Use some homeplugs to connect the router and PC up and just keep adding to them as needed, no extra wiring for the ADSL will be needed.

Samba123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horndean
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You first need to establish where the main BT cable enters the house, this is where you should put the master. Fit a filtered faceplate to it and then run the router from it. You can then run all the extensions you need off the master without affecting the ADSL.

Use some homeplugs to connect the router and PC up and just keep adding to them as needed, no extra wiring for the ADSL will be needed.
      The problem is it doesn't appear to enter the house any place apart from where I've indicated - somebody has run the cable all round the outside from the BT junction box on the exterior of the house and through the garage so the places it enters is where I've indicated in my post which doesn't appear correct.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy
      you won't see 10Mbps on an attenuation of 43...this'll go up to 46ish on adsl2+ so best you'd get is about 8Mbps...
      Still a lot better than 2.5meg!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      Some photos of the boxes with the front plates removed would be helpful. Your idea of dispensing with the redundant sockets is a good one. The less wiring you have running around the better. I am not sure using Cat5e is the best way, to replace the wiring, TP phone cable may be better.

If your wiring has been done properly, removing the faceplate of the Master socket should disconnect the other sockets, but as your wiring was done by one of John Wayne's sidekicks, this might not be so in your case.
      I'll get some photos and post em up showing the wiring etc. My reason for cat5e was I assumed I was likely to have to put a straight run of cable externally from the junction box on the outside of the house to my home office and I wanted higher quality cable to reduce interference. I'm only a matter of metres from a street light as well so there could be a number of factors in play here - not least the wiring...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As you have cordless phones all we need to worry about is cutting out the wiring.

The best way is ALWAYS to fit an NTE5 with filtered faceplate as close to the incoming BT cable as possible. Ideally plug the router in there, if you can't do that then run a dedicated ADSL extension.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.