Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Microfilter Blues

This is a discussion on Microfilter Blues within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Problem in summary: I have 3 microfilters that were provided by sky, and one that I owned previously. ...

ChemHazMat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Metheringham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Microfilter Blues

Hi all,

Problem in summary:

I have 3 microfilters that were provided by sky, and one that I owned previously. The only microfilter that works is my old microfilter. None of the sky microfilters work with my kit.

History:

In July I moved to a house that is right on the edge of the 6 km maximum exchange distance, consequently I got lumped with the Sky Connect service. Over the last 6 months my connection has been a steady 320 kbps up and 320 kbps down, which is pretty crappy but functional and reliable.

I have 3 telephone sockets in the house so this week I decided to have a play around. The Line comes out of the ground at the front of the house but before it enters it runs under a grey cover then splits into 3 lines.

One lines goes left into the lounge about 2.5 meters and is terminated by a standard phone socket.

One line goes into the house under the stairs about 2 meters and is terminated by a standard phone socket.

One lines goes right, right around the external walls of the house over a distance of what must be 20 meters into the dining room back wall and is terminated by what appears to be a BT master socket.

Until today the router was connected to this master socket in the dinning room.

So ... I plugged the router into the socket under the stairs and immediately connected at 640 kbps down, 448 kbps up. Great I thought, but as soon as I plug a 2nd (sky) microfilter into any other socket for my phone I loose Broadband.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Microfilter Blues

You have star wired telephone sockets (all the sockets are wired back to the external spilt, any one of them could have been the master) this works fine for normal phone use, but combined with your long line, is very poor for broadband. What can be done about this depends on you.

(1) You could call Openreach (BT) and have them rewired (expensive 150+)

(2) How do you feel about tackling this yourself?

i am assuming that your master socket has a split front with a test socket inside? If it has when you remove the faceplate to expose the test socket, do you loose the dial tone at the extensions?

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChemHazMat View Post
      The Line comes out of the ground at the front of the house but before it enters it runs under a grey cover then splits into 3 lines.

One lines goes right, right around the external walls of the house over a distance of what must be 20 meters into the dining room back wall and is terminated by what appears to be a BT master socket.
      If the first comment is right then you do not have a master socket ,
      Sounds more like you have a distrubation box and this is never a good thing when it comes to broadband ,

I would get on the phone to Sky and get them to log a fault off to BT ,
      It will come to the stage where BT will ask that they send some one out ,
      And my guess would be that they will remove the distrubation box and fit a NTE5.

Make sure when you call sky and get passed to cst than you infrom them you do not have a test socket as you have a distrubation box .

Ragards
      Steven

Thanks

There is a master socket, but it may not be wired in the way you are familiar with. A master socket is only a normal socket with a ring capacitor and a few other bits inside, it could be fitted on any one of the spurs from the external point. That is why I always want to make sure the extensions are dead with the test socket exposed, it is quite possible to wire telephones where this is not the case.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

As Brian has mentioned some rewiring could certainly yield improvements, with ADSL you want(ideally) the router to be plugged in as close to where the BT wiring enters the building as possible, then wire extension off this. Two choices-Openreach() or DIY-we can certainly help with the latter!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Hi all and thanks for your replies. What are the legalities of doing this myself and where would I need to alter the line? In conventional installations I believe BT own the line upto the master socket but as I don't appear to have a master socket, is it where the line splits?

Furthermore, how much is a DIY solution likely to cost?

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks

Need more info first.

(1) What sort of master do you have at the moment?

(2) If it is a NTE-5, when you remove the faceplate, do you loose the dial tone at the other sockets.?

Thanks

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't tell you what type of master socket it is. Is there an easy way to tell?

My router was plugged directly into the master socket (at the end of the 20m external wire terminating in the dining room). The lower section of the faceplate was removed and the router was plugged directly into the internal test socket via a microfilter. My telephone was plugged into the same microfilter and my skybox was connected to the socket in the lounge via a standard sky microfilter.

Oddly (perhaps I need to mention it?) when I connected the router to the socket under the stairs and got the 640 kbps connection, my router firmware automatically updated after about 10 minutes. I've not seen it do this before but it may have just been coincidence?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi all and thanks for your replies. What are the legalities of doing this myself and where would I need to alter the line? In conventional installations I believe BT own the line upto the master socket but as I don't appear to have a master socket, is it where the line splits?

Furthermore, how much is a DIY solution likely to cost?

Thanks again for your advice.
      It's not illegal to fit an NTE5-, it's against BT's T&C's although if you look at some of my previous posts you'll see BT call center staff are now saying customers can fit whatever they like as all internal wiring is nothing to do with BT! Assuming you need an NTE5, some cable and a filtered faceplate you'll be looking at around 45. If you can let us know what you really want in terms of router placement & extensions i can give you a firm price.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't tell you what type of master socket it is. Is there an easy way to tell?

My router was plugged directly into the master socket (at the end of the 20m external wire terminating in the dining room). The lower section of the faceplate was removed and the router was plugged directly into the internal test socket via a microfilter. My telephone was plugged into the same microfilter and my skybox was connected to the socket in the lounge via a standard sky microfilter.

Oddly (perhaps I need to mention it?) when I connected the router to the socket under the stairs and got the 640 kbps connection, my router firmware automatically updated after about 10 minutes. I've not seen it do this before but it may have just been coincidence?
      You have an NTE5. What you ideally want is :-

NTE5 with filtered faceplate fitted where the BT cable enters the building, existing extensions for phones can then attach to the filtered connections on the new plate so no more filters around the house, for the router ideally plug directly in here, if not possible then the extension under the stairs can be made an ADSL extension-plug router in here.

You could move the existing NTE5 to the new location so all you'd need is a faceplate :-

BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005)

& a secondary outlet to replace where the NTE5 was :-

BT Socket, Secondary

If you must have the router under the stairs then use one of these converters :-

BT Male to RJ11 Female Converter

I think that's it but will re-read your post!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast