Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Microfilter Blues

This is a discussion on Microfilter Blues within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes the run-it direct would be fine, and if you want to replace the socket in the dinning room for ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Microfilter Blues

Yes the run-it direct would be fine, and if you want to replace the socket in the dinning room for a normal extension one, order an 85 x 85mm one at the same time. Its just a direct replacement, the wires connect to 2 and 5 on the new extension socket. You will need a disposible IDC insertion tool at the same time for connecting the extension wiring to the filter faceplate. Dont worry, they come with full instructions and Dave at Run-It -Direct is very helpful.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think Run-it-Direct give a discount to SkyUsers and possibly throw in a free IDC tool

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ChemHazMat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Metheringham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Ok thx for the advice, I really do appreciate it ... but before I part with cash, no one has commented on the fact that the sky microfilters do not work on my line.

Any thoughts on that issue? The filtered faceplate going to work or am I going to have filter issues?

....... And also ........ will I be able to use LINE 2 socket after applying the advice or will I need to buy an Extention Kit in order to use the phone and ADSL together on the same line??

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

A filter face plate will work on your line. As to why you had problems with the Sky filters, I cannot say.
      With a fiter faceplate at the line one socket, you would only be able to access broadband there and not on any of the other sockets, they would operate for telephony only.

Thanks

Thanks Brian (and everyone else) for your help. I'll be placing my order for a filtered faceplate today.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Brian We do offer discount to forum members-drop me a PM with your receipt number, i'll chuck in an IDC tool FOC too We have a new cart system coming online in the next month or so which will mean you will be able to request the discount code & apply it yourself. Until that is live we manaully credit your account back the 10%. With regard to your filters,they could just be faulty, i've not read back through the thread(only online trying to find some info!) but do they work if directly plugged into the test socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Hi all,

Just to give closure to this thread I want to let you know that I installed a filtered faceplate this evening on my stairs master socket (line 1) and:

a. Immediately connected at a rock solid 704 kbps up and 448 down.

b. My 2 other extension sockets work fine (Sky HD box is in the Lounge (line 2) and my Landline is in the Dining Room (line 3).

Everything appears to be working together and I have doubled my line speed in the space of 2 weeks so, considering my location (6 km from exchange) I'm reasonably chuffed.

Thanks to all who contributed and helped me out. RUN-IT, soz I didn't order from you mate - I found your postage a bit steep.

Cheers,

ChemHazMat

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try a BT Performance test, go to BT Performance Tester enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the LAN MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.

The way Connect works it could take a few days before you notice any actual difference in your download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The test reports the following results - I try it again in a couple of days to see if there is any difference:

--------------

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 704 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 456 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123