Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Microfilter Blues

This is a discussion on Microfilter Blues within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just noticed this in your first post - So ... I plugged the router into the socket under the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Microfilter Blues

I just noticed this in your first post -
      So ... I plugged the router into the socket under the stairs and immediately connected at 640 kbps down, 448 kbps
      Firstly, this figure normally indicates a Connect line. Are you sure you are on Mid. It could be a coincidence, but.....
      Secondly it would be very unusual to get a better result from an extension than from the Test socket. This suggests to me that you may be star-wired from the junction. Do as Brian says and check all your sockets for dial tone when the faceplate is removed from the NTE5. If you still have dial tone at some or all of them, Brian will let you know what to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I just noticed this in your first post -

Firstly, this figure normally indicates a Connect line. Are you sure you are on Mid. It could be a coincidence, but.....
      Secondly it would be very unusual to get a better result from an extension than from the Test socket. This suggests to me that you may be star-wired from the junction. Do as Brian says and check all your sockets for dial tone when the faceplate is removed from the NTE5. If you still have dial tone at some or all of them, Brian will let you know what to do.
      I read it as follows :-

Junction box where cable enters the building-extensions etc are star wired off here, the NTE5 with test socket happens to be on the longest cable run hence not the best speed?? Obviously we can verify this by removing the NTE5's front plate(do all other points go dead as Brian asked?)
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

ChemHazMat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Metheringham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thx again for your replies.

When I get home on Friday, I'll try all 3 phone sockets for dialing tone, with and without the faceplate on the master socket.

Cheers

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      I read it as follows :-

Junction box where cable enters the building-extensions etc are star wired off here, the NTE5 with test socket happens to be on the longest cable run hence not the best speed?? Obviously we can verify this by removing the NTE5's front plate(do all other points go dead as Brian asked?)

The OP says "before the line enters the house it splits" so my reading is

(1) Underground line, and the usually "jellycrimp rats nest" affair in which all the lines are paralled off, the giveaway will be just an orange line on 3 on the faceplate master and the extensions remaining connected.

(2) With a bit of luck, the line will be fed to the master and then backfeed over the same cable and then paralled to the other sockets.

We will see on Friday

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChemHazMat View Post
      Thx again for your replies.

When I get home on Friday, I'll try all 3 phone sockets for dialing tone, with and without the faceplate on the master socket.

Cheers
      If you can take some pics of all sockets, joints etc & post them up too
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Hi all,

I thought I posted this last night but I must have bodged it up (Probably something to do with the Old Speckled Hen Hic!).

First of all, here is a pic of the line outside the front of the house and labled accordingly:

So ... LINE 1 (stairs) terminates in a Master Socket as shown (a fact I was oblivious to before). Here are pics of the socket with faceplate on and off. This is where my ADSL router and Telephone are currently connected. I tested the other sockets and you were correct, when the faceplate is removed from the LINE 1 (stairs) Master Socket, I loose dialing tone at the other 2 sockets. Note the microfilter - It is one I bought about 6 years ago - none of the 3 supplied by sky appear to work. I am currently connected (Sky CONNECT service) at:

DownStream Connection Speed 608 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

Next ... LINE 2 (lounge) terminates in a standard telephone socket. Please excuse the cobwebs!! This is where I would like my telephone and skyHDbox connected but when I use this socket (with a microfilter), i loose my ADSL connection. The NTL box is a legacy item left by a previous occupant and has no relevance (that I'm aware of!).

Finally ... LINE 3 (dining room) terminates in a Master Socket. Sorry about the lack of focus - this was the best of about 4 attempts. You can see that this socket is the same type as the one at the end of LINE 1. I also note that the face plate is NOT hard wired to the socket. Thinking that this was the one and only master socket in the house, this is where I had the telephone and router plugged in for the last 7 months.

Hopefully this helps?

Thanks

"I loose the dial tone at the other two sockets" Thank the lord for that!! The solution is easy.
      Get a filter faceplate and fit it at line one socket using the instructions that come with it. You can then get rid of all your other filters.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Brian, should he have two master sockets? I thought that could cause issues.

Still I suppose the filtered faceplate will stop that anyway.

Thanks

No not reaily but the filter faceplate will solve any problems. Still it would not be a bad idea to replace the socket in the dinning room with a normal extension socket.

Thanks

Thx for your response Brian. Would the run-it-direct faceplate meet my requirements? Would you recommend another brand / vendor? Would appreciate your guidance.

Thx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast