Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT Wiring/ADSL Connection

This is a discussion on BT Wiring/ADSL Connection within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, this is my first post (new to sky services), and would you believe it, its a problem i ...

Los7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harlow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT Wiring/ADSL Connection

Hello everyone, this is my first post (new to sky services), and would you believe it, its a problem i need help with. I'll try to keep it short but add all the info i can.
      First off, i'm on Sky Max. I spoke to CS this morning (CS are great by the way *rolls eyes*) and the DLM has finished on my line and apparently there is no cap. My stats for my line are as follows: Connection Speed - 4091kb - 796kb
      Line Attenuation 42db - 26db
      Noise Margin - 15db - 17db
      Does this sound about right? I've checked on the various sites on here you guys talk about and it says i should expect aound 8Mb. It always connects at 4091kb, its never different, not even by 1kb, why does it do that if its not caped?
      Thats 1 part of my question, now its on to the wiring.

The above stats are from the BT line in my front room, which i believe is meant to be the master, but it doesn't really look like it (pics below will explain all). The stats in the bedroom which is where the router is kept and my PC is, are roughly the same apart from the downstream Noise Margin is around 7 to about 10. (plugged router into front room to see if it made any difference to connection).
      Here are my wiring woes

In this picture, you see where the cable comes into the flat(cable at top of picture). All that wiring was wrapped around each other and covered with electrical tape.

Question for that picture (above) Can i make this better?

The next picture in the box in the front room

There is no test socket, and the wiring dont look to great. Can i make this better? And is it the master?

The next piture is the box in the bedroom (sorry for bad pic, was hard to get to) It has the capacitor in this one, i thought this was meant to be in the master (front room)

Any help on anything i have mentioned would be great. If you need to know anything else, ask me and i'll post it when i can
      Thanks in advance, Steve

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: BT Wiring/ADSL Connection

I will leave the line stats for now (you are capped after DLM training) and concentrate on the wiring (which is prob the reason DLM has dropped your speed.
      Am I right in thinking that you would like the master socket in the sitting room and the extension in the bedroon (the reverse of now)? If so prooceed as follows.
      (1) Please read and understand everthing first before you start as you will be disconnecting your line and will loose your BB connection for a short time.

(2) Disconnect both sockets and take the one with the capacitor (this is the master socket) to the sitting room.

(3) Cut the orange and blue wires and connect them to 5 and 2 on the master socket (you will need a IDC insertion tool for this)

(4) You will now have a dial tone at the master and can get back on line. If you do not require the extension in the bedroom then you'er done

(5) If you do require the extension socket, connect the wire to the bedroom to the master socket, Blue with white rings to 2 white with blue rings to 5 connect the extension socket in the bedroom in the same way.

You will then need to contact Sky and get them to remove your capp.

Sorry I have just realised that the cable joint is not at a socket (it's been a long day!!) In that case just swap the sockets over but only connect the wires to 2 and 5
      Last edited by Brian69; 06-02-09 at 04:12 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Brian it looks like the master has been removed from the wires in the first picture. The wires have then been joined to what would have been the extension and the master stuck on to the end. If it would suit, would it be an idea to fit an NTE5 linebox to the incoming wire and connect the extensions properly. Roy Rodgers or one of his sidekicks has obviously been at work here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for incredibly speedy reply. I thought i was being capped, he told me i wasn't. Like you said, it doesn't matter for now, as i'd like to get the wiring sorted. You are correct, i'd like the master in the front room and the other one in here (i'm back in the bedroom/PC room now). Why would they have put the master in the bedroom just out of interest? Also, in the first picture you see where the BT line meets the house line. Do i need all those wires hanging out all over the place, or can i just simply chop it all off and connect them properly (just the 2 wires i need) with a soldering iron/connector block?
      Last but not least, would i benefit from buying a new face plate, like one of these fancy ones i've seen floating around on here before i start this epic adventure?
      Thanks again in advance, Steve

Thanks

First off Ive no idea why the master is in the bedroom, but there you go!!
      For a Rolls Royce job Proceed as follows, as before read all before you start.

(1) Yes sort that joint out (I would solder and insulate with heat shrink but tape would be o.k) the connections are correct so you can trim off the other wires.

(2) Buy a NTE-5 master and filter faceplate (Run-it-direct or adsl nation) and fit this in the sitting room, connect the incomming line to A and B of the master this will give you a dial tone at the test sockey of the new master.

(3) connect the extension to the bedroom using the filter faceplate and the instructions that come with it

Thanks

Excellent. I shall get ordering. I'll post back when i've fitted/fixed everything and see if there is any difference. Thanks for your help.
      Steve

Thanks

Why would they have put the master in the bedroom just out of interest?
      As I said earlier, they have taken the Master from where the wires are joined and instead of replacing the extension socket with it, they have put in another wire to the bedroom and stuck the master box there. They should have done what Brian has advised, removed the extension, replaced it with the Master and put the extension in the bedroom. As I said, a Roy Rodgers job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Brian it looks like the master has been removed from the wires in the first picture. The wires have then been joined to what would have been the extension and the master stuck on to the end. If it would suit, would it be an idea to fit an NTE5 linebox to the incoming wire and connect the extensions properly. Roy Rodgers or one of his sidekicks has obviously been at work here.
      In a word Tom Yes Why anyone would want to go to all this trouble to put a master in the bedroom i dont know. Anyway I'm off to round up the herd!!

Thanks

I don't think it has been a case of wanting to put the master in the bedroom, more wanting an extension in the bedroom and instead of buying another box, decided to do it on the cheap and use a box which was not being used. They probably did not even realize there was a difference between the boxes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Steve.
      I assume that the wire that enters your flat (the orange and blue) comes in from the hallway outside? and not from another junction within your flat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast