Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confusion regarding test socket

This is a discussion on Confusion regarding test socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Whilst troubleshooting a sky bb problem, I took the faceplate off the NTE5 master socket and I've got an actual ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Confusion regarding test socket

Whilst troubleshooting a sky bb problem, I took the faceplate off the NTE5 master socket and I've got an actual connection that is connected on the faceplate itself that runs into my test socket whilst the faceplate is in position.

This has probably been done to death, but I couldn't find much upon searching, so I hope this all makes sense. The reason for the confusion is that my understanding of the faceplate was that it would come right off (which mine does not) and reveal a test socket which isn't being 'used' whilst the faceplate is connected like mine is at the moment.

I confirm that whilst the faceplate is removed and a microfilter with the ADSL cable connected into the test socket, that I do not get a dial tone on the phones in the extension sockets throughout the house.

Wrong wiring or can someone give me some insight? The picture below is the closest I can get to explaining how my test socket looks:

* Note: My socket does have a BT logo, but the main purpose of the image is to show that there is a connection running into the test socket whilst the faceplate is fitted.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Truescotsman83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Confusion regarding test socket

What you ve highlighted in the picture is the test socket, the test socket is a seperate line from your master socket and extentsions. The master sockets is a junction box for any internal wiring to connect to, so when you disconnect the faceplate you shouldnt be able to get a dial tone on any extentsions, The test socket is what it says it is ,for tests but if your master socket is faulty then you can use the test socket for a long as you need to.

what is the problem your having ?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Picture 1 is your master socket

Picture 2 is your test socket on the back bit

The wiring on the bit in your hand is to your extensions. (so if that is out of the test socket, then no other phones should work) So if you plug your modem into the socket on the master socket (not the one in your hand) and then copy and paste your stats.

How to get your router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

And then do it again with the bit in your hands plugged back into the test socket and the router plugged into that, we should be able to see if any difference between the two.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post

I confirm that whilst the faceplate is removed and a microfilter with the ADSL cable connected into the test socket, that I do not get a dial tone on the phones in the extension sockets throughout the house.
      That is correct, you should get dial tone at the test socket though?
      Last edited by RUNITDIRECT; 22-01-09 at 11:40 AM.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the OP is confused by not finding another Test socket in the line box. There is not one, the socket the faceplate plugs into is the 'Test' socket, also sometimes referred to as the 'Engineers' socket.

If you do not intend to fit a filtered faceplate, remove the wire from terminal 3 on the faceplate. This is the Ring wire and serves no useful purpose with modern phones. It can act as an aerial, cause interference and degrade the ADSL signal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Appreciate the quick replies here, guys. I'm simply confused in that any test socket that I've dealt with when I've been on the phone to people whilst in tier 1, they do not have a connection from the faceplate into the test socket, but simply the faceplate is just covering 'the bottom half'. Whereas mine is actually connected into the test socket whilst the faceplate is screwed in.

I was just having drop out problems, which seem to be linked to my SNR dropping. If it drops anywhere below 12, then my internet becomes so unbareably slow that you'd mistake it for simply not being connected. I'm talking about so slow that it basically times out. Sometimes I come home and it works a charm for an hour or two before the SNR drops and other times I just cannot use it because it's already too low.

I've had a replacement router (which the replacement is error code 300'ing in the master socket, but is getting an internet light in the test socket). I believe DLM has just finished yesterday, also. Replaced all the microfilters and also the leads from the router (using my old router atm because I can't get a dial tone whilst I have the router plugged into the test socket, so my family cannot use the phone obviously). So, at the moment, I'm in the master socket.

Quite a few pics here of my stats:

In test socket (it was at 22 db at one point, so I think 16db is one of the lower readings the downstream noise gave):

Master socket:

I even tried an extension socket and it seems to give basically the same stats? Erm..

A little bit later in the extension socket, note the SNR and up time:

Here's the master socket whilst the SNR dropped *note the up time again:

I rang tech support last night and thankfully got through to someone who was ex-CST, but chordiant was down. Anyone any ideas whether it's a matter of configuring via lama or faulty wiring?
      Last edited by User05; 22-01-09 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks

Whereas mine is actually connected into the test socket whilst the faceplate is screwed in.
      You are not connected into the socket, as explained above that is the wire going back to your extension. You obviously did not really understand what you were asking people to do when you were on Tier 1. A faceplate with no extensions connected to it will not have any wires going back into the box. In such cases there is little point in trying the Test socket. In a few cases, where extensions are incorrectly fixed to the A-B terminals of the line box, using the Test socket will give the same results as the Master socket. That is why you are asked to confirm that your extension sockets are dead with the faceplate removed.

Have you removed the wire from terminal 3? You may find that that alone makes a big difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are not connected into the socket, as explained above that is the wire going back to your extension. You obviously did not really understand what you were asking people to do when you were on Tier 1. A faceplate with no extensions connected to it will not have any wires going back into the box. In such cases there is little point in trying the Test socket. In a few cases, where extensions are incorrectly fixed to the A-B terminals of the line box, using the Test socket will give the same results as the Master socket. That is why you are asked to confirm that your extension sockets are dead with the faceplate removed.

Have you removed the wire from terminal 3? You may find that that alone makes a big difference.
      We've had a few customers with duff front faceplates-in these cases the bad joint between the faceplate and test socket causes a 2mb drop off! Better to get a later NTE5 with bell wire filter over removing the ring wire tbh.

Thanks

Better to get a later NTE5 with bell wire filter over removing the ring wire tbh.
      Being 'in the trade' you would say that But I am sure you are aware that removing the ring wire does no harm and has been done by thousands of users, who were pleased to find a vast improvement in the speed. It is for many, the only free way to improve their speed and may be the only free 'magic bullet' for faster broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Of course we advise to keep things as specified. If ALL phones had a ring cap there wouldn't be an issue! Filtered NTE5 or I Plate is ideal, if not then go the free route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast