Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speeds, suspect dodgy cabling/line - help

This is a discussion on Slow speeds, suspect dodgy cabling/line - help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I've noticed by BB speeds are pretty slow - down to 1.5meg, and given where I am I'd ...

landwomble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161429
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speeds, suspect dodgy cabling/line - help

Hi All,
      I've noticed by BB speeds are pretty slow - down to 1.5meg, and given where I am I'd expect faster. The router stats suggest that the line's noisy - 7db on the downstream - and I've swapped sockets/microfilters/RJ11 cables.

I've a call in to Sky where they confirmed the speed and that I should be looking at 3.5-4MB. I got sick of being on hold after an hour and called back today only to be told that technical won't speak to me if I'm not in front of the PC - I'm at work.

I've checked the house, and I don't have the line socket master BT thing that I'd expect - the first socket in the house doesn't have a removeable plate with a socket behind it, so I can't bypass my internal extensions.

What I'd like is for Sky to trigger BT coming out and maybe fitting a new master socket with appropriate quality of cabling (it's a very old house).

What are the odds on this happening? Anything I can do to speed things up?

Ric

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow speeds, suspect dodgy cabling/line - help

Quote Originally Posted by landwomble View Post
      The router stats suggest that the line's noisy - 7db on the downstream
      The default noise margin is 6.9 db, also, I think maybe you're confusing noise margin with noise. Have a read of the first sticky in my signature for a more detailed explanation.

When you've done that, please post your router stats (attenuation, sync and noise margin).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The default noise margin is 6.9 db, also, I think maybe you're confusing noise margin with noise. Have a read of the first sticky in my signature for a more detailed explanation.

When you've done that, please post your router stats (attenuation, sync and noise margin).
      Hi,
      Thanks - router stats below - this is where I got the 6.5-7db figure from:
      System Up Time 00:01:24
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 249 155 0 5465 2358 00:00:25
      LAN 10M/100M 342 479 0 1718 2126 00:01:21
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 71 30 0 155 120 00:01:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1534 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.7 db 22.5 db

I thought the Noise Margin section was the S/N ratio, i.e. 6.7db more signal than noise.
      Last edited by landwomble; 17-12-08 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

looking at your attenuation your line should be getting at least 8meg/sec (I had 36 on Sky and got anywhere between 9-11).

I thought if you didn't have a test socket that BT should come out and fit one freee of charge, although I may be wrong.

When you use the phone is it noisy with hiss, pops and cracklring? as if so you can call who you pay your line rental to (DON'T mention BB) and they can send out an engineer to have a look at the line. (and as you don't have a test socket they should fit one to test it as well)
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT wont come out and just fit a master socket because you don't have one, also they wont accept a slow speed on broadband as a fault either, they will just refer you back to your ISP.

You really have a couple of choices, ring BT and complain of noise on the line, as mentioned above, do not mention ADSL, just voice line, maybe it is worse when it rains etc, who knows?

Or

Buy yourself an NTE5 master socket and filtered faceplate and replace the existing one for the new one. This will give you a best case senario with regards to the internal wiring.

It's up to you but it really should be a case of swapping out a couple of wires, take a photo of it before you remove any wires to refer to. Remember to get an insertion tool, there only a couple of 's.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks guys. I've just found a local phone engineer who's coming round tonight to have a look and probably fit a new ADSL-equipped master socket and redo the one extension upstairs if needed. I could probably have a go at this myself I guess but with 2 small children the only time I have to do this kind of thing is late at night and I don't fancy running extensions upstairs in the dead of night - it was bad enough trying to drill holes in the floorboards to run ethernet at 11pm last week!

i'll post back the results, anyway.

Ric

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by landwomble View Post
      I thought the Noise Margin section was the S/N ratio, i.e. 6.7db more signal than noise.
      Pretty much. But a particular noise margin can give you no indication of how noisy your line is which is what I read your first post as saying. A big swing e.g. 3db to 10db through the day would tell you something though.

As Adrian has said, the big thing showing in your stats is the very low sync for your attenuation. That certainly shows you have a great deal of line noise. The problem is, without a NTE5 master/test socket, it's going to be hard to tell whether it is in your home wiring or your BT line.

What I suggest is that you remove your phone, digibox etc on any extensions and plug your router directly into your master using just a filter and the supplied router cable. See what difference that makes to the stats. If things improve dramatically either in sync or noise margin then you know the problem is something your side.

Then see if you have a ring wire attached inside your master (usually orange/white and connected to terminal 3) and if so disconnect it. See what that does to improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I thought if you didn't have a test socket that BT should come out and fit one freee of charge
      Sadly not. They won't come out to fit one but if they come out to investigate a noisy (voice) line then the engineer may well fit one then - especially with a bit of "persuasion".