Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

External filter or filtered face plate?

This is a discussion on External filter or filtered face plate? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, my first post. I have been reading some of the information in this forum with much interest. Lately ...

davetimms is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wimborne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

External filter or filtered face plate?

Hi there, my first post.

I have been reading some of the information in this forum with much interest. Lately our broadband speed has noticeably deteriorated to the point of being ridiculous. In response, I have identified “noise” in our set up as a possible culprit, as well as some dodgy/dangerous looking connections hanging out the back of our master socket.

Assuming I (or BT) fix this wiring problem, I was also considering fitting a split ADSL faceplate. However, in our current set-up, the first connection to the phone line is an ADSL splitter which connects directly to the broadband router. We have no hard-wired extension wiring, and therefore any extensions come through the voice filter on the external ADSL splitter. It is likely that an ADSL faceplate would be worth fitting?

Thanks!
      Dave
      Last edited by davetimms; 11-12-08 at 06:01 PM. Reason: fix some typos

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: External filter or filtered face plate?

In practice no, you may no see much differance. However IMO they have a much neater apperance and should always be used. Do sort out you master first, as this may well be a cause of problems if the wiring is all hanging out

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Depends on the quality of the existing filter to be honest, we've had customers see an improvement of 1.5mb by fitting the Pressac faceplate that BT use! It always makes sense even from a neatness POV to have a filtered faceplate.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

There is also the added advantage that if you ever get proper extensions fitted you'll be all set with a filter faceplate

Exchange:
      Thanks

Absolutely! The only thing to consider is whether you will ever run an extension for the modem/router, in which case get the 6 way version. If the modem/router will always plug into the master socket then get the 3 way version, as Brian says any extensions then run off this socket will be filtered so no need for extra plug in filters.

Thanks

Thanks for your comments guys, I think this forum's great and I've already learnt loads in a few days!

I had a look at the wiring last night, good news was that the connections are all good, the straggling wires were just the unused cables from the drop cable. I just neatened it up a bit for my own sake. I'm going to get BT to install a new master socket and upgrade the cable from outside.

It was last Saturday that I finally became peed off enough with the speed to do something about it. After some tidying up, a few calls to sky and a few late nights we've gone from 761kbps with 48db att and 10.5db nr (down to 512kb/s after the first sky phone call!) to 5120/43/15 and I'm going to try today to go even better since our noise has improved so much.

How did I do this? Well, I discovered it was the splitter that was at fault.. I swapped it with a spare. I don't think I saw this tip in any of the fault finding guides.. but if anyone else is having problems, try doing this!

Thanks

Just a little note of caution here. When you say that you are going to get BT/Openreach to change your socket and outside cable, do bear in mind that if your phone is running noise free, and there is no fault with the socket or cable, they will not do this for free!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

In other words, it may be DIY time

Thanks

I'm not sure I need to touch anything now - In two days I've gone from being borderline ready to leave Sky to being so happy I could kiss the next Sky guy I see...

Gave Sky a ring and got talking to the guy, who turned out to be the same guy I spoke to at the start of the week. He's lowered my ping (substantially), converted my line to ADSL2, played around with the speed over a 20 minute period and called me back. At this point my stats were 6462 (att 47, nr 9.1). 3 hrs later, I'm back from shopping, my router is connected at 7328 (att 43, nr 7.3).

I've gone from 761 (47.5, 11.4) last saturday to 7328 (43, 7.3), almost a 10x improvement. I'm amazed, I got told today my line was 3.9km yet I have almost the full 8mb connection.

Am I allowed to post my findings in the "get better results" forum as well as here? I feel like anyone who was in the same situation as me should know that there's definitely hope if you're willing to sit on the phone for a bit!

All thanks to all the info at skyuser!