Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do I need a XTF 68 or 85 faceplate for my set up?

This is a discussion on Do I need a XTF 68 or 85 faceplate for my set up? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am thinking of buying an XTE 2005 to replace my master socket equivalent but want to know if it's ...

eggman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01347
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do I need a XTF 68 or 85 faceplate for my set up?

I am thinking of buying an XTE 2005 to replace my master socket equivalent but want to know if it's worth my while also buying a XTF 68/85 faceplate for the one and only extension to be used solely for my ADSL router (no phone connection required).

I have 4 digital phones but only one is actually connected to the BT line (via the master socket). I have already disconnected the internal phone wires in my house at the master socket end with the exception of one black cable which BT fitted a few years ago. This extension lead runs to the now only working extension socket in my house which currently has a BT master socket fitted and is to be used solely for my ADSL router (no phone required). Is there likely to be any improvement in Broadband speed if I were to replace the BT master socket at the end of the (only) extension with a XTF 68/85? Would there also be any likely improvement in speed if I replaced the BT fitted cable lead (think this may be known as CW1308?) running on the outside of the house with Pro Plus Cable?

As you probably have guesed by now I'm trying to get the most out of my ADSL connection which is at best around 1.5Mbps as I live some 3 miles away from local unbundled BT exchange in a rural area.

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Do I need a XTF 68 or 85 faceplate for my set up?

The purpose of a filter is to remove the ADSL signal from the telephone equipment. So assuming that your phone is connected at the master then the XTE-2005 would be the correct thing to have.

Then your dedicated extension for ADSL should be over twisted pair cable, if it isn't then replacing it with a twisted cable would be a good plan. It does sound however like the correct cable has been used.

Now at the end of this extension if you never intend to use a phone/fax/dial-up modem then there is no need to put an XTF on the end. You can simply connect the modem to the socket on the end of the extension. Fitting an XTF would just give you the flexibility to use the extension for a telephone device in the future.
      adslnation

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Remember if you fit a filtered plate to the Master socket, your existing extension would be connected to the A-B terminals behind the plate, not the 2 and 5 terminals as you would for a normal extension.

It is probably worth getting the router stats from your present position on the extension and from the Test socket, to see if what you propose is worthwhile.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eggman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01347
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thanks ADSLNATION and ISITME for your replies.

ADSLNATION - not quite sure what you mean by twisted cable - the (black) cable which runs between the master socket and the extension (to be used for sole use with a router was fitted a few years ago by BT as an extension. It has the usual BT phone wires in but only the White/Blue ring and Blue/White ring wires have been used (to connect to the master socket end - guess that must be the same at the extension socket end as well?).
      I'm still not sure if by replacing this with ADSLNation's White PRO cable will improve my Broadband speed? It will be fairly simple to do as the exisiting black BT cable runs from 2 and 5 of the existing master socket (soon to be A and B on the new XTE 2005 I am about to buy) up to the loft, over it then back down to upstairs study to second master socket extension socket (for ADSL rouer only) but will the extra effort (and expense) be worth it I wonder?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

O.k Lets start at the beginning with this so you cover all the bases and get the best speeds your line can support.

(1) With the test socket exposed, check that all your existing sockets are dead. (I know you have said you have disconnected all you internal wiring, but check anyway, it only takes a sec)

(2) Using the black extension cable already fitted (I don't think there is much to be gained by replacing it, so long as it is not damaged in any way), connect the blue pair to the A and B terminals of the XTE 2005 filter faceplate as follows.
      white with blue rings to A

blue with white rings to B.

(3) At the extension end of the black cable, connect the XTF 68 or 85 (the number indicates the size of the socket plate, both do the same job) as follows.

white with blue rings to line input A

blue with white rings to line input B.

Once this is done you will have an extension which will take a phone and the router, and at the master socket a phone and router socket.
      Remember you can only use one router socket at a time, you cannot connect two routers to the same line.

If you do not intend to use the master socket at all, no phone or router or anything else, then you do not need the filter faceplate (XTE2005) you could connect the blue pair of the black cable to the existing faceplate of the master, but this is not a good idea as at some point you may need this socket and the filter faceplate gives maximum flexablity to your set-up

If you do not need a phone socket at the extension, just a router connection, then a single RJ11 socket connected to the black cable at the extension end will do (you do not need the XTF-68/85) but again, this reduces flexablity and you may regreat it later.
      Last edited by Brian69; 24-11-08 at 07:35 AM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If the extension is dedicated ADSL then you could install the kit that BT fit :-NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 30M
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You shouldn't replace your cable as it runs outside. It sounds like the extension is using the correct external grade cable. External grade cable will not break down, if you use normal internal cable it will soon deteriorate in the outdoor environment.

Twisted pair cable means that the the wires are twisted around each other the blue/white wire is twisted around the white/blue to reduce interference. As the extension was installed by BT it will be the correct grade of cable.

This all makes your life much easier. Just replace the current faceplate with the XTE-2005 and connect the existing blue/white white/blue wires to the A&B terminals on the XTE-2005. You can simply connect your modem to the existing extension socket. Either use some sort of adaptor or an filter to connect the RJ11 cable or simply use an RJ11 to BT plug cable to plug your modem in. Most people have an old dial-up modem cable with RJ11 on one end and BT plug on the other.
      adslnation