Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master Socket

This is a discussion on Master Socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Master socket is quite old, when I remove the face panel there is no engineers test socket, also removing ...

Dante_Heaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Master Socket

My Master socket is quite old, when I remove the face panel there is no engineers test socket, also removing the face panel I still have a dial tone on all of my phones, is this right?

Is this my master socket, I presume so. Also does it look right?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Master Socket-dsc00207.jpg   Master Socket-dsc00206.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Master Socket

It is a Master faceplate, but whether it is the Master socket is not so clear. I would expect to see the drop line from the main line and extension wires going out to your extensions in the Master. There only appears to be one wire going into the box. Can you trace the main line into the house and see which socket it goes to first, this should be the Master. You might also want to remove the faceplates on your other boxes and see what they look like.

It would be normal for the extensions to be active with that type of faceplate. The NTE5's face plate plugs into the Test/Main socket, when it is removed, the extensions should be dead. Yours is a LJU2/1A Master, like This which does not disconnect the extensions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Need to trace that cable back to where it enters the building & where it goes. That's a master socket but whether that is the first socket on the line we do not know.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

the back box looks newish and the wire look recent to me so it is nost proboably not a master because im sure master one bt put in has screw connections and dont connect the green and some didnt connect the orange

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skypaulusplus View Post
      the back box looks newish and the wire look recent to me so it is nost proboably not a master because im sure master one bt put in has screw connections and dont connect the green and some didnt connect the orange
      BT have used all types over the years. To the OP-what is it you are trying to acheive? I'm guessing you want an NTE5 connected directly to BT's network so you can see if your extension wiring is slowing things down?

If that is the only master it looks like BT have used one cable as there are no other wires terminated to the IDC block? So that cable must run elsewhere if you also have extensions?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think there are 2 possibilities, the box shown is the last extension on a 'daisy chain' from the Master or all the extensions have been wired 'spider wise' from a junction box. Few engineers would bother connecting, 1,4 and 6 terminals, as they have no use on a domestic installation. Older 'heads' may do it for the sake of a tidy finish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, nail & head We need to clarify what the OP is trying to acheive though.