Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Crackling Line

This is a discussion on Crackling Line within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just had an Openreach guy visit my property after reporting a really noisy line to Sky. While in the ...

uncletupelo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Crackling Line

I've just had an Openreach guy visit my property after reporting a really noisy line to Sky. While in the house he said he couldn't hear anything wrong however when he called out to another Openreach tech (not sure where he was) he was told that a fault had showed up. The guy in my home said he couldn't see anything wrong 'in house' but he would now have to go the junction box then the exchange. He called a little while a go to see if I had noticed any improvement...I did, it was much clearer. He said ok and that he would be in touch. My broadband which had been disconnecting due to the line noise is now fine and the sync has increased by approx 2MB.

My concern is that I will be charged by Sky (passing on an Openreach charge). I 'm hoping the guy calls me back and I will ask him directly about any charges but if i don't hear from him again what will I do?

Would Sky simply add a charge to my bill or would they call me first to say I have been charged? I don't want to wait for a direct debit to come off which may include a charge.

There shouldn't be a charge as there was clearly a fault and the Openreach tech on the other end of the phone to the one in my home said as much, the guy in my house said that to myself and my father who was in at the time. However I have read so many stories of Openreach techs just listing things as not fault found.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Crackling Line

As long as Sky called out BTO you have nothing to worry about, Sky will meet the cost of any charges. It is only when you call out BTO yourself you are liable if no fault is found.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In any case, because the fault was found Sky would have not been charge for it anyway. I assume that your line rental is with Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

^^^^
      That's a bit different, if the rental is with Sky and a fault is reported to them (Sky) and no fault is found, then you would be liable to be charged. As it is, a fault was found so Sky, as the rental provider, would have to pay BTO to fix it. Still no charge to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

uncletupelo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ^^^^
      That's a bit different, if the rental is with Sky and a fault is reported to them (Sky) and no fault is found, then you would be liable to be charged. As it is, a fault was found so Sky, as the rental provider, would have to pay BTO to fix it. Still no charge to you.
      The rental is with Sky. My main concern is that its entirely down to how the Openreach guy logs it.