Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

adsl cable length?

This is a discussion on adsl cable length? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi peeps, new to site, learnt a hell of alot in 15mins, 1 quickie tho' - for a quick fix ...

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

adsl cable length?

hi peeps, new to site, learnt a hell of alot in 15mins, 1 quickie tho' - for a quick fix for me (before i take the plunge n replace faceplate etc... - in few weeks not yet tho') - anyway had tiscali broadband for 3 yrs using a 10m adsl cable from the master socket downstairs running under carpet to dodgy usb broadband modem, recently changed over to sky broadband max, originally thought this cable would still do the job with the new sky broadband modem, but i cant even get a signal? had no probs at all when on tiscali in 3 yrs.

anyone have a clue?

i will eventually get an ethernet cable to run from modem downstairs, just wondered why i cant get a signal now? any help appreciated....thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: adsl cable length?

The extension cable is prob damaged where it runs under the carpet. Don't mess about replacing it, do the following.

(1) Get a filter faceplate (ADSl Nation XTE-2005 or a BT one from Run-It -Direct)

(2) With the test socket exposed, check that any extension sockets are dead (no dial tone)

(3) Place your router as close to the faceplate filter as possible and replace the ADSL extension you have now, with network cable from the router to your computer.
      Try to run the cable where it will not get damaged.

Thanks

cheers for replying,
      the cables ok, i think anyway, when we got rid of tiscali, we had a couple of days without internet, so i found a dodgy dial up company and we used that now and again till our broadband was active, so i know that cable works?
      i'm so glad i come on this site, i've been on it before, but its come on leaps n bounds by the looks, fingers crossed my tinternet speeds increase after a bit of fiddling.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If your getting dial tone then there is no reason why the cable shouldn't work? Do you get connection if you plug into the master socket? ie, are you sure the BB is active? Brians advice is the best way to go eventually.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

yeah we get a dial tone through the onboard modem on the comp upstairs, it dials up 1st time each time, when i plug into broadband modem upstairs we dont get the broadband light on the modem? but when we use a small adsl cable downstairs the sky broadband modem works a treat? thats what i couldnt understand in the 1st place, like you said i am going to sort out the faceplate etc... when i can properly (providing the one on wall now does accept this faceplate), but i thought for now i'd try the longer adsl cable as it worked for the usb modem??? very weird???

Exchange:
      Thanks

If your master socket isn't an NTE5 technically you shouldn't change it but i can assure you plenty do! Then you can fit a filtered faceplate. So dial up works fine but you can't get ADSL? Sounds like the cable must be at fault or you haven't got a filter somewhere? You aren't using a plug in filter at the main socket THEN plugging the extension lead into that are you?

Thanks

yeah defo dialup works fine with 10m cable, just no adsl signal from it.
      defo got a filter plugged into master socket downstairs.
      tried the 10m cable and old tiscali modem also when i was messing about last night, couldnt get a signal on that either - but 2-3 wks ago when on tiscali the 10m cable was fine on BB.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No filter upstairs? You should plug the extension into the socket then plug the filter in to that for downstairs, upstairs you need to plug another filter in. This is one of those double adaptor extensions not hard wired?

Thanks

sorry wasnt making it clear.
      this was our setup for tiscali (before hand):
      master socket - adsl filter (for 1 end of 10m adsl cable & the phone downstairs) - then opposite end of 10m adsl cable went into usb modem then usb went into PC.
      so basically i though the cable would still work for our sky BB like below:
      master socket - adsl filter (for 1 end of 10m adsl cable & the phone downstairs) - then opposite end of 10m adsl cable goes into sky BB router then ethernet into PC.
      dont worry bout it, it sounds like it wont work, will just sort the amendments like brian69 mentioned above....
      ta for helping anyway mate, much obliged..........!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is nothing wrong with using a 10m RJ11 cable, in fact you could go a bit more if you wanted to. I think the one you have is faulty. If you think about it, the phone line is coming maybe 3K from the exchange, provided the cable is good quality, what difference is a few extra metres going to make? In many cases it is more convenient than using a RJ45, as you can place the router exactly where you want it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast