Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

adsl cable length?

This is a discussion on adsl cable length? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There is an alternative to replacing your existing Master socket and that is fitting an NTE5 next to it. If ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: adsl cable length?

There is an alternative to replacing your existing Master socket and that is fitting an NTE5 next to it. If your existing extension wiring is exposed, this would be quite simple and a lot cheaper than getting BTO in. It might not be an option if all your wiring is buried in your walls.
      A short tutorial on how to do this can be found here-
      Clarity UK - ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate
      Where BTO's responsibility ends with the older type socket seems to be a bit of a grey area. Maybe Brian and RiDs opinions on this would help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok, what you need is the following :-

NTE5 with free tool BT IPlate (Interstitial Plate) Alternative
      ADSL Faceplate (this is the 6 way version so if in future you want to run an ADSL extension you can) BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005)

We've got 10m of CAT5e here CAT5e Cable, Internal , as your a forum member i can get this terminated with the RJ45 plugs FOC for you (you'll also get a discount on the above products). Only thing we could do with verifying is the type of cable you have coming in from BT? Is it the old type which looks like doorbell wire or the newer type that is similar to internal wiring?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is an alternative to replacing your existing Master socket and that is fitting an NTE5 next to it. If your existing extension wiring is exposed, this would be quite simple and a lot cheaper than getting BTO in. It might not be an option if all your wiring is buried in your walls.
      A short tutorial on how to do this can be found here-
      Clarity UK - ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate
      Where BTO's responsibility ends with the older type socket seems to be a bit of a grey area. Maybe Brian and RiDs opinions on this would help.
      To be honest our take on it is to do the job the right way & replace what you have. Obviously we have to advise the legalities of this but i've never heard of anyone getting into trouble, have you Brian?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

The only time BT/Openreach get upset is.

(1) If any attempt is made to connect the phone wiring to mains supply (Lord knows why anyone would want to do this)

(2) If you disconnect the line to another customer. This is very unlikely on domestic lines.

If you make a mess of any wiring alterations on the network side and have to call in Openreach to sort it out, just be honest with the Openreach tech, and explane what you were trying to acheive. The bill might not be as large as you think!

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

thanks chaps, i will have a look tonight when i get home from work and either take a pic of the wire to see if its the old doorbell type wire or the newer internal looking wiring, will post back online then. can i order the goods online then tonight/tomorrow night or best to ring? i prob wont get around to doing this mod for a couple of wks, already got a few other odd jobs started i need to finish, dont think the wife will be too pleased me starting more....u know wot they're like........

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

just messed about with signature and pic, just testing.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughesey View Post
      thanks chaps, i will have a look tonight when i get home from work and either take a pic of the wire to see if its the old doorbell type wire or the newer internal looking wiring, will post back online then. can i order the goods online then tonight/tomorrow night or best to ring? i prob wont get around to doing this mod for a couple of wks, already got a few other odd jobs started i need to finish, dont think the wife will be too pleased me starting more....u know wot they're like........

Order online is best, if you do drop me a PM on here & i'll make sure you get the discount etc. Any problems post away or drop us an email!

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

One other cause may just be interference from another product which is giving off electrical noise. Check that you don't have anything that has a motor, light saving bulb, power suppliers running right next to or over the cable. I Dial-up signal would get across the cable whereas the higher frequencies of BB signal would not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234