Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

adsl cable length?

This is a discussion on adsl cable length? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; it was working fine tho'? and it still works fine using dialup? what else can it be then?...

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: adsl cable length?

it was working fine tho'?
      and it still works fine using dialup?
      what else can it be then?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have a 10m cable on mine which I put on when I was having my office renovated and had to shift the router. I don't need it now, but I have never bothered changing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I use an extension as well, I would agree that filters are the most likely cause of the fault. As mentioned earlier, you should have the spliiter into the master socket, then filter the phone line, run the extension unfiltered, and filter this just before it joins the router. You also need a filter on your sky TV box(es) where they plug into any extension cables. The filters can break, so it would be worth replacing any that are already in use to rule this out.

Thanks

i'm lost now.
      when my tiscali worked, i just had the master socket, then a y splitter filter thing with normal BT plug that goes into master socket, then other end is two sockets 1 for adsl and other for another bt plug, these come with tiscali (same as what has come with sky broadband package), i've got 2 cables, 1 being 10m, and the other is 1m, the 1m one works fine, the 10m one doesnt get a signal, our sky+ HD box is never plugged in, unless we wanna watch sumat from box office.
      so should a 10m adsl cable work? totally lost now?!!!?
      sorry for repeating my self over n over, my fault for not explaining properly in 1st place.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think your cable is faulty. I think the Dial up uses different wires from ADSL. This would account for it working and ADSL not. Runit' has a better understanding of these and may be able to tell you for sure. All I can say is that there is no reason why a 10m or longer RJ11 cable should not work with ADSL.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

So you're plugging the 10m cable into the adsl side of the filter, if you haven't already, try another filter. I have changed mine (twice I think) as they do seem to break down. The best advice seems to be a new face plate, but I can't comment on that as I haven't tried it. As the cable seems to be working if you plug it into you're modem this would seem to rule out the cable. I have used a standard splitter at the master socket, then filtered this for the phone line, and again by the router for the adsl line. I get a good 6-7mb this way.

Thanks

i'll have a mess tonight, got loads of filters to use.
      yeah what i couldnt understand was why it worked for broadband for 3 yrs, then when we changed providers, we was out net for few days so went onto freeola dialup for a bit then tried to resume back with sky's BB and it never worked?
      weird.
      will try like i say.
      thanks for helping chaps...........

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is actually quite a common situation.

Old USB modems have been known to work were a router will not. It is incredibly annoying as BT OpenReach engineers turn up with their USB modem and tell you your equipment is at fault because their USB modem works.

Now USB modems are rubbish in terms of performance and reliability of drivers etc. But their simplicity is also why they work where other modems won't. They do not limit their power output to within the required limits and therefore will put out a higher power signal than is actually approved on the BT network.

You will probably find everything will be find once you have a decent faceplate and swap out that old flat cable with a proper twisted pair one.
      adslnation

Thanks

nice one, thanks. i will post when its all done and let you all know the new speeds etc... it would be mint if it went up even a bit.....ta to all......

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughesey View Post
      i'm lost now.
      when my tiscali worked, i just had the master socket, then a y splitter filter thing with normal BT plug that goes into master socket, then other end is two sockets 1 for adsl and other for another bt plug, these come with tiscali (same as what has come with sky broadband package), i've got 2 cables, 1 being 10m, and the other is 1m, the 1m one works fine, the 10m one doesnt get a signal, our sky+ HD box is never plugged in, unless we wanna watch sumat from box office.
      so should a 10m adsl cable work? totally lost now?!!!?
      sorry for repeating my self over n over, my fault for not explaining properly in 1st place.
      I've not come accross these but basically sounds like an ADSL filter on a long fly lead? The ADSL uses the same pair as voice, as the dial up (voice) works it's probably just the RJ11 socket itself or maybe the solder on the PCB. I doubt it will be the cable itself unless it is crackling when you have a phone plugged in? You could just chop the filter off the cable and terminate a BT socket in there, plug in a standard filter and see what happens. Of course by the time you have done that you could have got the proper cable (CW1308) and a nice Openreach filtered faceplate. 10M of cable be it alarm cable or whatever is unlikely to stop you syncing at all.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast