Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need to know what cable to buy

This is a discussion on Need to know what cable to buy within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry if this is a silly post, but I have spent a few hours looking this up and come back ...

evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Need to know what cable to buy

Sorry if this is a silly post, but I have spent a few hours looking this up and come back with nothing lol, probably looking for the wrong thing.....

I have a BT Mango phone (black) and it comes with 2 cables that attach to the base, one is the Power Pack (plug) and the other plugs directly into the phone line......simple so far, kids have been messing and broken the cable that plugs into the phone line, so I need to replace it, again simple so far.....but theres a problem, the cable was always too short, so I need a longer one, about 10m would be awesome.

I managed to identify this connector as a RJ11 - Standard Phone Plug Cable I bought one from ebay, and it didnt work, so I was gutted, but on closer inspection the internal connections of the RJ11 part of the cable are completely differant from the one supplied with my BT Mango, on the Mango it has 4 Gold metal prongs inside the clear casing, the one I bought from ebay, which I am now told is a standard modem cable, only has 2 gold prongs......so what cable am I looking for??

I went to B&Q and bought a Telephone Modem cable, I wasnt sure if it was right, becaus eit said modem again, but the connections was all the same, and yet again it didnt work, I borrowed a similar looking cable off a neighbour, and again it didnt work lol, but when I used my other friends cable off HIS BT Mango it worked fine???? so what cable comes with the BT Mango? the only similar looking cable I can find in the shops is modem cables!! and they wont work!

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Need to know what cable to buy

The best bet is to take your phone along with you and ask to check in the shop that it works.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If it looks like a RJ11 but isn't then it could be one of these. Use the table to determine which, though your description of 4 contacts sounds like a normal RJ11. Good luck.

Edit: reading your post again it sounds like you bought a two pin/wire modem RJ11 when you need a standard 4 pin/wire phone RJ11 like this.
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-10-08 at 09:55 PM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you can see the colours/post up macro pics of both ends we can make a cable to whatever spec you want.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Dave.
      I strongly suspect that this is a straight through cable (outer pair is the line on both plugs) but I cannot be sure.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Brian, we've got all types to be honest, straight wired, cross wired, 2 pin, 4 pin! We can make any type lead up anyway with all RJ type plugs so if we can find out the type then we can do it. Modem cables are usually centre pair to centre pair, most common phone cables are 2 pair straight or cross over.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.