Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

deteriorating Sky Talk sound quality, being batted between Sky and BT - help!

This is a discussion on deteriorating Sky Talk sound quality, being batted between Sky and BT - help! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Apologies if I am repeating a thread, I have looked but cannot find anything exactly the same. About three ...

tracey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

deteriorating Sky Talk sound quality, being batted between Sky and BT - help!

Hello,
      Apologies if I am repeating a thread, I have looked but cannot find anything exactly the same.

About three months ago the sound quality on our Sky Talk line began to deteriorate, we can hardly hear callers and they can hardly hear us.

It is not due to the phone ( works fine at neighbours)
      We have a BT master socket and Sky Broadband put in a dual plug (sorry I dont know the technical term) in to the master socket which has a broadband wire running to the computer and two sockets to plug in the phone. We have a microfilter plugged in to that and then the phone plugged into micro filter.

BT says tested signal and its fine. We also tested mastersocket with an old fashioned line phone and get better sound but not great.
      BT says it is due to poor sky wiring ( the technician stapled through the Broadband line when installing for one thing)
      BT also says that Sky should have installed an extra box and run the phone and broadband through seperate entry points instead of putting a little plug in.
      They say a BT engineer will charge a 160 call out fee and will not fix any sky wiring, but will still charge the fee.

They say the Sky plug in component has probably deteriorated and we should try to seperate the two functions into two wall sockets. I dont know where to buy a new component or how to install it.

We now have plug in internet but the wireless function was really really bad and kept cutting out and disconnecting all the time until we gave up.

Sky took 17 days to say they could not help and that it was all a BT issue.

We still can't hear people speak on the phone and only one of our computers is connected to the internet.

Any ideas of what to try next? Trying to job hunt and prospective employers cannot hear me and I am tearing my hair out.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: deteriorating Sky Talk sound quality, being batted between Sky and BT - help!

OK, do you have an NTE5 type socket?

If you do when you remove the two front screws and remove the faceplate do all extensions go dead? If they do plug a phone into the BT socket that you see on the backplate of the master socket, whats sound quality like now?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: deteriorating Sky Talk sound quality, being batted between Sky and BT - help!

Did you get anywhere with this?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HI, so sorry for delay in replying. I have been away .
      Yes that is the type of BT socket I have.
      BT have "Tested" the line from their side and say its OK. I plugged a corded phone into the test socket and the sound quality is much better, not brilliant, but better.

Dont know if this is coincidental but it seemed to get worse when my neighbour installed a sky internet package and they always seem to have a stronger signal than us when I look at my available wireless networks for the broadband connection.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If your filter is plugged into a double adaptor that has a lead going round to the sky tv then you are connected wrongly. Your filter should be first thing on the socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Amazing, I finally got a response today from someone at Sky. I think I sent the first email at the start of September! That was following phone calls to computers at BT and Sky over the summer, giving up for a while and using a cord phone plugged into the test socket, and then emailing again.

Here it is reproduced so that other skyusers can see who to contact.

The email address was: MYSKY [mysky@bskyb.com]
      " Thank you for your email with regards to problems with your Sky Talk phone line which has been passed for my attention and I will be dealing with personally.

Firstly I am sorry it has taken so long to reply to your email. Having checked your account today I can see that all your Sky Talk services are up and running and I hope you are enjoying the savings to be made with Sky Talk. I am sorry you are having a problem with you phone line and I have arranged for an engineer to attend your home to replace the wiring on your Sky boxes and broadband. This has been arranged for Wednesday xxx between 9am and 1 pm with a reference of xxxxxxxx If however this time is not suitable please give or installation team a call and they will move it to a more suitable day for you. They can be contacted on 08442 414 414.

I will give you a call once the service call has taken place to see if this has made a difference to the line. I believe the agent before ask you to speak to BT they can increase the volume on the line this would be my next avenue after we have had a look at the wiring.

If you require any further help or assistance please do not hesitate to email me at the above address quoting the case reference number in the subject field or contact our Sky Talk customer service team on 08442 41 04 99

Yours Sincerely

William Gariano
      Customer Relations"

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Jessie Lou, thanks for replying.
      Our TV comes in through a different end of the house. The BT phone box has a sky broadband plug which links to a computer in the next room and the filter is plugged into this and then the phone is plugged into the filter.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You'll need to clarify your setup, you have 2 wall telephone sockets? If so what is the first thing plugged into each and my name isn't Jessie <<<<<<<<