Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything?

This is a discussion on BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I dont think that is another feed to a second extension, but the feed from the master, and I bet ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything?

I dont think that is another feed to a second extension, but the feed from the master, and I bet there is a joint somewhere as the colours don't match. Best to start again.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I am sorry, the penny has just dropped, and I have had another look at the photos. Proceed as follows if you want to keep the extension socket.

(1) Remove the extension socket upstairs compleatly there is no need to worry about the wires pushed into 3 and 5.

(2) On the back you will find the blue and yellow wires, from the downstairs master, connected to A and B of this extension.

(3) connect these wires to a new extension socket, Blue to 5 and yellow to 2 , if there are any spairs connect the green one to 3

(4) on the new filter faceplate, connect blue to 5 and yellow to 2 and if you have connected green to 3 at the extension, connect this to 3 at the filter faceplate.

Sorry If I have mislead you.

burnley_lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I am sorry, the penny has just dropped, and I have had another look at the photos. Proceed as follows if you want to keep the extension socket.

(1) Remove the extension socket upstairs compleatly there is no need to worry about the wires pushed into 3 and 5.

(2) On the back you will find the blue and yellow wires, from the downstairs master, connected to A and B of this extension.

(3) connect these wires to a new extension socket, Blue to 5 and yellow to 2 , if there are any spairs connect the green one to 3

(4) on the new filter faceplate, connect blue to 5 and yellow to 2 and if you have connected green to 3 at the extension, connect this to 3 at the filter faceplate.

Sorry If I have mislead you.
      ah Brian, I'm so glad you posted this - I was getting a bit lost, but this latest post has made perfect sense, and you've understood perfectly my set up.

On the extension socket - there are 2 wires - 1 blue and 1 yellow - the blue one is connected to the A terminal, and the yellow one is connected to the B terminal. There isn't a green wire.

To help me with my purchase of an extension socket, can you please provide me with an example of what I should be looking for?

Just to help me understand and learn, can you please let me know what the problem is with me currently having another master socket upstairs, as opposed to having an extension socket?

Thanks

The problem with having a second master socket connected to the line is that it contains a ring capacitor (proper extension sockets do not have this).
      There should be only one ring capacitor on a line, and this is contained in the master socket (in your case the proper master downstairs) the precise effect of two masters on a line is hard to predicted, but suffice to say it will not be good.

Any proper extension socket avalible at any local shop selling phone extension stuff will work.

When I mentioned the green wire, I know it will not be connected yet, but if there is a spair wire at the extension end (any colour will do, but green is the correct colour) you can use this for the ring wire from your filter faceplate.

A thanks is due to Isitme, who post this morning got the wheels of my old and analogue brain working, thanks mate

Thanks

Any proper extension socket avalible at any local shop selling phone extension stuff will work.
      Thanks - I know what I'm looking for now - I'll purchase one this afternoon.

When I mentioned the green wire, I know it will not be connected yet, but if there is a spair wire at the extension end (any colour will do, but green is the correct colour) you can use this for the ring wire from your filter faceplate.
      I'm sorry if you've already answered this, but what does the green wire do?

I do have a few spare wires at the master and at the extension.

At the extension - there are a few colours, green being one of them. Where does this connect to on the extension socket?

At the master - I have two spare green wires - one that leads to the extension socket, and one that looks like it comes from outside. Which one should I be using, and where does this connect to on the master socket?

Thanks

Connect the green wire at the extension end to "3" connect the green wire (from the extension socket cable) to "3" of the filter faceplate. It's function is to allow some telephones to ring, when you are using a filter faceplate.

Untill you get your filter faceplate, do this

(1) Connect the new extension socket as already discussed (blue to 5 yellow to 2 and now green to 3)

(2) if you wish to use the extension socket before you fit the filter faceplate then connect blue to 5 and yellow to 2 of the existing faceplate. (leave the green lead disconnected)

(3) When you fit the filter faceplate connect blue to 5 yellow to 2 and now green to 3.

All of the above are from the cable which goes to the extension

Thanks

thanks Brian - I tried to ring you earlier, but you've answered the questions I was going to ask!

Thanks

Brian - thanks for your 'phone call earlier today - it was really appreciated.

I've had a chat with the wife, and we've agreed that we don't need the extension socket upstairs.

So - a couple of questions for you now:

1. Is it okay to leave the wiring for the extension socket disconnected - I don't intend to rip it all out, just in case we change our minds in the future and want to go back to having an extension socket upstairs. Does the bare wire need to be 'insulated'?

2. Now that we're not having an extension, does the green wire on the master socket need to be connected to anything?

Thanks

If you do not wish to use the extension, then just make sure that all the wires which go to the extension socket are disconnected at the master socket end.
      You should now have no wires at all on the faceplate of the downstars master and just the lncoming line on A and B. Don't cut any of the wires, just coil them neatly in the back of the box.

When your filter faceplate arrives, you just swap it with the existing faceplate at the master, and away you go!
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-10-08 at 04:32 PM. Reason: doting the "i's and crossing the t's

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am still puzzled by the cable coming from the face plate. If the supply to the extension socket was connected to the A-B terminals of the true master socket, concealed below the surface and the other end connected to the A-B terminals of the extension. It still leaves the rather professional looking connection to the face plate. In other words, where does the wire shown coming out of the bottom of the faceplate in Post# 1 go?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast