Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything?

This is a discussion on BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Brian69 O.K note the colours of the wires connected to 2 and 5 (they must be on ...

burnley_lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT NTE faceplate - mine's not connected to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      O.K note the colours of the wires connected to 2 and 5 (they must be on 2 and 5 or you would not have a dial tone) You are going to have to replace this socket with a proper extension socket before the switch to Sky, but you can leave it for now.
      The wires are definitely 'connected' to 3 and 5, but it's just a strip of wire, not connected to anything else.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Great. Now the last step.

(1) You should now have just one pair of wires connected to A and B of the master socket and a dial tone only at the test socket (sorry to labour this point but it is very important for your future Sky BB)

(2) You can now refit the master back in the wall box and thread the wires you removed through to the front ready to connect to the faceplate. You will now need a idc insetion tool (about 90P from a hardware shop that sells telephone extension kits)

(3) Connect the wire which connected to 5 of the extension to 5 of the faceplate, and the other one to 2.
      Now when you replace the faceplate the extension will work.

The final step is to buy a filter faceplate and use this to connect your router to the phone line and you will be all set for Sky

Thanks

You should now have just one pair of wires connected to A and B of the master socket and a dial tone only at the test socket (sorry to labour this point but it is very important for your future Sky BB)
      I do have just one pair of wires connected to A and B of the master socket and a dial tone only at the test socket.

You can now refit the master back in the wall box and thread the wires you removed through to the front ready to connect to the faceplate. You will now need a idc insetion tool (about 90P from a hardware shop that sells telephone extension kits)
      I have refit the master back in the wall box and thread the wires I removed through to the front ready to connect to the faceplate. I will purchase a idc insetion tool tomorrow.

Connect the wire which connected to 5 of the extension to 5 of the faceplate, and the other one to 2. Now when you replace the faceplate the extension will work.
      Do you mean those two strips of red/white wire that are connected to the faceplate of the extension? If so, put these onto 5 and 2 of the faceplate of the master? They are strips of wire, each about 3cm long, and don't appear to be connected to anything?

The final step is to buy a filter faceplate and use this to connect your router to the phone line and you will be all set for Sky
      I was planning to use my existing filter - would this work?

Thanks very much for your help so far Brian!

Thanks

Yes the wire which connected to 5 at the extension, connects to 5 at the master and the other one to 2 at the master, I know they look odd, and you have an odd extension socket, but it will work for now. As I have said you should replace the extension with a proper extension socket.

You can use you existing filters for Sky But ADSL2+ is very fussy about odd extensions and to work at it's best, a filter faceplate is the way to go.
      This provides a router socket and prevents any interferance from your existing wiring from causing problems with your BB

Thanks

Yes the wire which connected to 5 at the extension, connects to 5 at the master and the other one to 2 at the master, I know they look odd, and you have an odd extension socket, but it will work for now. As I have said you should replace the extension with a proper extension socket.
      ok Brian, I'll do that. it certainly does look odd! What happens to the two wires I took out of the two terminals of my master socket?

You can use you existing filters for Sky But ADSL2+ is very fussy about odd extensions and to work at it's best, a filter faceplate is the way to go. This provides a router socket and prevents any interferance from your existing wiring from causing problems with your BB
      ok, I'll do that - can you recommend a filter faceplate for me to purchase?

I'm tempted to remove the extension though to be honest, I very rarely use the telephone on that socket. My house isn't that big that I can't walk downstairs to use the telephone downstairs!

Thanks

Just to be clear, the wires which you removed from A and B of the master are the same ones you should connect to 5 and 2 of the master face plate. You can get a BT filter faceplate from RUN-IT-DIRECT and mention this site, or from ADSL Nation.
      If you don't need the extension then remove it by all means, you could always get a cordless phone. you would just plug this into the phone socket of the filter faceplate.
      Last edited by Brian69; 04-10-08 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Just to be clear, the wires which you removed from A and B of the master are the same ones you should connect to 5 and 2 of the master face plate.
      ah, I get you now! I thought you meant the two small strips of wire from the extension!

so, the two wires - one is blue, the other is yellow - which one connects to 5 and which one connects to 2?

Thanks

You can get a BT filter faceplate from RUN-IT-DIRECT and mention this site, or from ADSL Nation.
      Thanks for that, I'll take a look now.

If you don't need the extension then remove it by all means, you could always get a cordless phone. you would just plug this into the phone socket of the filter faceplate.
      This is exactly what my wife has recommended, I'll look into them now.

Thanks

Which ever was in A connects to 5 and B to 2, (I can't remember which way round but you took pics so you should be o.k.

I suspect you wish you had never started this, but it has been time well spent!! if you have a look through this site you will see loads of threads where people have been disappointed with their speeds and it has been down to internal wiring probs. Did you get your MAC over to Sky yet?

Thanks

Which ever was in A connects to 5 and B to 2, (I can't remember which way round but you took pics so you should be o.k.
      Thanks Brian. I'll refer to the photos I took earlier.

I suspect you wish you had never started this, but it has been time well spent!! if you have a look through this site you will see loads of threads where people have been disappointed with their speeds and it has been down to internal wiring probs. Did you get your MAC over to Sky yet?
      Not at all Brian! It's been a very useful two hours, I've even learnt a little bit! Thanks to you, and the clear way you explained every step of the process, I was able to do it confidently. I'm glad I mentioned this now, rather than in a few weeks time when I could have had trouble connecting to the internet using Sky broadband!

I'm still waiting for my MAC code, I have my e-mail programme set to minimized on my laptop, and have it set to check for new e-mails every 30 seconds!

I'm not expecting anything before Monday though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast