Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where to put bt line for sky+ and bb access

This is a discussion on where to put bt line for sky+ and bb access within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, i was wondering if anyone can give help/advice. Im getting sky+ (tv, bb and phone) installed soon, but first ...

zak08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

where to put bt line for sky+ and bb access

hi,

i was wondering if anyone can give help/advice.

Im getting sky+ (tv,bb and phone) installed soon, but first need bt to come reconnect the house. The house is semi dettached, and has an old, unused sky dish (from before i moved in) that i think comes in to the house via the attic.

Will sky remove/replace this, or will they use it?i assume having this already makes installation easier.

Now to a trickier part, where i think im getting myself confused. As far as i can see, the old 'master' phone socket (where the bt lines comes in from the outside) seems to be in the attic. Bt will be installing a phone line, and i have a computer room upstairs (thus close to the attic) with computers connected via ethernet. BUT the tv (thus living room) is downstairs, and i would like the phone to be downstairs too.

what do u advise (i assume bt will only install 1 phone socket)?should i get bt to install the line upstairs, near the computers, to make hooking up the sky wireless router up easier. would sky do whats neccessary to get the sky+ box connected?

thanks

zak

2. Advertisement
      skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: where to put bt line for sky+ and bb access

well bt should connect your master socket downstairs if you ask,sky shold plug it in if its down stairs,but will be fussy and youd have loads of wire if it was upstairs.
      the sky router, if the pc dont have wireless you can buy dongles cheap off ebay .
      keep the router close to the new socket and preferably out of site , but not in a cupboard because of the signal, decorate it with some wall paper maybe

to have the phone upstairs aswell you could use powerline adaptors(google it) or pay bt to install a secondary upstairs
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 03-10-08 at 03:16 PM. Reason: missed a bit

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You will only need the telephone line to the Sky+ box for the first 12 months if you are getting a discounted install. After that it is not required unless you are going to buy a lot of movies. You could easily run a flat telephone extension cable to the Sky+ box location (you must have it for the install) and thus put the master socket where you like. You can remove the extension after the first year.

Decide which is more important to you - broadband or TV and put the master socket nearest the most important.

If you put it near the tv, make sure that the new master socket is reasonably close to a power socket and not across a doorway - you will need to connect the router to both power and telephone and you won't want trailing wires across the floor. You can then use powerline adapters to get good broadband access upstairs without needing wireless.

If the telephone point is downstairs you will probably want a wireless phone to use upstairs. They are electrically noisy, so you would be best off with a filtered faceplate for the master socket.

Regards,

Felix

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'd have the master socket where you plan to have your router & get a filtered faceplate installed, then run extensions to where you want phones to be.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You'll confuse us all if you continue to run this as two separate threads. Please keep to just one.

Regards,

Felix

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes, previous thread here.

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry about posting twice separatly.

Ive decided that i would see if bt will install a new 'master' socket in the living room near the tv, on an outside wall (incidently, near where vm has put its 'master' socket thingy). I would like to avoid things being in the attic as much as possible. I would have the phone, sky+ and wireless router all down stairs close to the tv (so that i can connect my xbox360 and blu-ray player via ethernet to the router, and just buy a cheap usb wifi dongle for the upstairs comps to keep things simple).

I mentioned that there's already a sky dish outside, that i think my come in at the attic, will sky go in to the attic and connect the sky+ box etc from there?or would it be easier if they start again and have it come straight in to the living room from outside?

zak

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is the attic boarded? Sky engineers are not permitted to work in roof spaces.

Exchange:
      Thanks

the central part ('corridor' leading to the concrete wall of the house next door) of the attic is boarded/able to walk on, but the sides/ slanted 'walls' (where the overhead support beams are) are not boarded.

would sky not have had to come and install the dish there in the first place? What happens if they say they cant go in to the attic, would they attempt to run the wire from the dish down the side of the house to the living room and drill in (this is similar to what virgin media did as the tv is right next to an outside wall)?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zak08 View Post
      the central part ('corridor' leading to the concrete wall of the house next door) of the attic is boarded/able to walk on, but the sides/ slanted 'walls' (where the overhead support beams are) are not boarded.

would sky not have had to come and install the dish there in the first place? What happens if they say they cant go in to the attic, would they attempt to run the wire from the dish down the side of the house to the living room and drill in (this is similar to what virgin media did as the tv is right next to an outside wall)?
      Yes! Silly rule, takes common sense away from the installer and saves Sky from claims when a numpty sticks his foot through the ceiling! If you get a subby they will do the easiest route, if you get a Sky employee and he values his job he won't go in the roof. Put it this way, if it were my i'd install the cable myself but i used to do this and know where the dish should and shouldn't go. If you'd seen the "quality" of some installers work you wouldn't let them through your door! Like anything though it is down to the individual installer so unfair to tar them all with the same brush.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast