Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FAQ I-Plate or Filtered Faceplate ?

This is a discussion on FAQ I-Plate or Filtered Faceplate ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I originally posted this as a response to questions in the forum, I thought as a lot of people are ...

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

FAQ I-Plate or Filtered Faceplate ?

I originally posted this as a response to questions in the forum, I thought as a lot of people are asking about this I would post it in a new thread to make it easy to find.

I-Plate

The BT I-Plate is aimed at people who are not willing or able to do any wiring. You simply unscrew the faceplate on your NTE5 master socket, plug the I-Plate in and then screw the original faceplate back on.

The I-Plate is not a replacement for ADSL filters or a filtered faceplate. You will still need to use filters when an I-Plate is installed. If you already have a filtered faceplate you should NOT install an I-Plate as the function of the I-Plate is already performed by the filtered faceplate.

What the I-Plate does is isolates one of the wires (the ring signal) on your extension wiring to prevent interference being picked up on this wire. The I-Plate will only therefore provide any improvement to people who have extension wiring that is picking up interference on the ring wire.

Filtered Faceplate

A filtered faceplate requires that you remove any wires from the existing plate and connect them to the new filtered faceplate. It is a very simple job, all you have to do is remove the wires and then the wires that were originally on terminals 2,3 & 5 need to be re-connected to the terminals marked 2,3 & 5 on the new faceplate.

A filtered faceplate is a replacement for ADSL microfilters. Once fitted you will no longer need to install microfilters on the extensions. However you will need to connect your modem/router to the master socket, unless you have wired a separate unfiltered extension. For best results it is always best to try and get your modem as close to the master socket as possible.

What a filtered faceplate does is filter out the ADSL signal from all of the extension wiring, not just the ring signal. As a result this gives you the best possible results as none of the wires in the extension wiring can interfere with the ADSL signal as it has been filtered at the master socket.

Determine if an I-Plate or Filtered Faceplate will help you

Before you rush out and buy either a filtered faceplate or I-Plate there is a simple check that you can do to determine if there is likely to be any improvement by installing one.

Locate your master, and first check that it is a proper NTE5 with a removable section on it like this ...

1. Unscrew the front and unplug the bottom section, this will reveal a test socket in the back.

2. Plug a microfilter into the test socket and connect your modem to it. Don't connect a phone at this point and test the connection.

Do you see an improvement ?

YES: Then a filtered faceplate or I-Plate will help.
      NO: Then neither the I-Plate or filtered faceplate will help.

What Next ?
      Assuming you found an improvement with the test above then your best option is to fit a filtered faceplate. If however you are scared of moving wires as many people will be then an I-Plate is the second best option.

Remember there is NO point in using both a filtered faceplate and I-Plate together.

Buyers Guide

Filtered faceplates can be purchased from the following on-line retailers.

ADSL Nation
      Clarity
      Solwise
      Last edited by adslnation; 13-05-09 at 01:02 PM.
      adslnation

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: FAQ I-Plate or Filtered Faceplate ?

Thanks Darren, stickied.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Note, you CAN'T fit a filtered faceplate to an I Plate (BT approved ones anyway) they physically will not fit.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

joew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi

I have conected my ADSL filter to the master socket, actually in the test socket. This then goes to the modem and telephone respectively.

Is there any mileage in prociding any additional filtering or an I-Plate? Am I doing the right thing by connecting the modem to the test port behind the faceplate?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

No you shouldn't use the test socket continously. It is there for troubleshooting purposes and is not meant for daily use.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Has the front plate that you removed got any wires attcahed to it? If not then you are achieving nothing by using the test socket apart from a messy looking install! Get a filtered faceplate if you want to try imprving things-a good quality filter if plugging directly into the master socket is always the best solution.

BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005)

coolertech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Hi, I have a filtered faceplate that the BT engineer fitted a few years ago, it says on it ADSL V1.0, it has the two sockets on the front (one for phone and RJ45 for modem) however i'm not sure that the rear extension connections are filtered because I'm getting lots of crackling on the extension lines which are connected to the rear of the filterplate.

On the rear of the filterplate there is 3 IDC connection points, and not 6 like on the new V1.0 plates.

Would i be correct is saying that this might be a very old one with non filtering of the rear extension connections?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Have replied in your other post.

j0n35y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Can using both cause any problems? My stupid mate stuck it on when i already had a filtered faceplate attached, caliming that it would improve my line even more! Was no difference at all, just stuck out from the wall even further lol. I never got round to removing it and now my line is on DLM mode for the next 10 days will having both affect it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)