Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

master socket bother

This is a discussion on master socket bother within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; having read all posts about bt master sockets (it being illegal to tamper with it) i'm a little concerned about ...

cardew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: woodhouse
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

master socket bother

having read all posts about bt master sockets (it being illegal to tamper with it) i'm a little concerned about my "master" socket . i've been in my house for about 8 years , after reading your forums i decided to look at my master socket as i am thinking of putting on one of those faceplates . to my amazement i found my "master" socket isn't the new bt type (nte 5? ) it's not even the hard wired old type . it's just one of those old diy extension boxes . the previous owner of my house was a real diy idiot ( you wouldn't believe some of the electrical horrors we have found) so i can only assume this is his handywork . where does this leave me legally regarding bt ? if i get an engineer in will i get into bother and will it cost me to have it fixed ? will bt believe i've been in the house for 8 years and never noticed ? please advise

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: master socket bother

My advice on this one is to play dumb!! for the following reason.
      (1) It does not matter if BT believe you or not, If you ask them to replace a master socket that is serviceable, be it a bt one or not, you will be charged.

(2) Do this. Call BT and say that you wish to fit some extension sockets, but you cannot find the master socket, you can describe the one in the phone book but do not mention NTE-5 or anything like that. They will send an openreach tech, and you stand a good chance of getting one for free.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Or aquire one yourself and fit it, it's a simple job and they only cost a few 's

run-IT-direct, Online Shop-Pay Pal Payments

I know you are aware of the BT position on this but if you really have any issues afterwards, you could always play dumb then, tell them you didn't know the bit you removed was a master socket as it didn't look like the one in the picture.

I had issues in my house, the guy before was a spark and extended the BT cable with alarm wire when the extension was built. I managed to get enough slack on the original cable to fit a new master socket in a bedroom upstairs and do away with his botched job. Easy as Pie.

Don't blame me if it gies wrong though

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the BT line terminates at an old GPO oval box, BT will probably fit it foc. As the previous owner was a DIYer he was probably under the impression that he would have to pay for this, but he was wrong. BT replaced these on an 'as and when required basis' for years. I would follow Brian's advice and get BT in now, rather than store up problems for the future.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for advice i'll give it a go and let you know what happens

Sky TV:
      Thanks

phoned bt tonight . i was told that to have an engineer round would cost 116 call out charge plus 90 an hour . but the engineer might not charge . i asked what the parameters were for an engineer to charge or not and was told it was at their discretion ! so if he gets out of bed at the wrong side it might cost me 200 if he is in a good mood 0 . seems like one hell of a gamble . has any one got a better idea of wether i'll get charged than the bt helpdesk lady ?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

If you say that you cannot find the master, and when the Openreach tech arrives, explane that you wish to fit more extensions, you won't get charged.
      The other alternative is to fit a NTE-5 yourself, But this is against BT's T&C's. Lots of people do through

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As Brian says lots of people DIY, we sell hundreds of NTE5's each month! It IS against the T&C's but an engineer is unlikely to give you any grief over it, if anything it makes their job easier should they get called out as they can remove any extension wiring and test BT's network directly.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The "extension socket" you describe may in fact be an old style BT master socket.

If you remove the screws from this face plate and look behind it you may see capicitors (small cylinders/coke can shape items) on the back of the face plate.

If this is the case you have discovered an old master socket that was installed pre NTE5.

I had a crackly line (internmittent of course ) and asked the engineer to replace the line from the pole to the house and got an NTE5 box into the bargain.

Are you sure your line doesn't crackle when it rains!?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

had closer look at my socket and it is indeed the older bt one that you refer to . it looks like the previous owner ( jack of all trades half wit ) has been into it to add an extension . it looks like a monkey has done it . armed with this new info would i be more or less likely to be charged if i report "intermittent crackling" ? bearing in mind its pretty obvious the box has been tampered with by an unqualified primate .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast