Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wierd master socket location.... help needed!

This is a discussion on Wierd master socket location.... help needed! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi..... new guy here so go easy. I have sky broadband max, the exchange is at the end of the ...

msjones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wierd master socket location.... help needed!

Hi..... new guy here so go easy.

I have sky broadband max, the exchange is at the end of the street but I am only getting the following connection: U:7548/D:764kbps. Even though im told i should see full speeds.

The netgear is connected in the dining room on an extension from the master socket.... which is location in the attic. Thats the strange part. Now, connected to the master socket is a double adapter which the extension for the phone and router is connected too and also the RJ11 cable for the sky box in the living room (we live in a bungalow).

I have been on the phone to sky asking about my speeds and they say to get full downstream I have to be direct to the master socket using the dsl filter.

So i have bough the XTF pre-filtered socket and the XTE-2005 master socket faceplate from adslnation. I plan to cut the plug on the extension and wire it direct to the XTE-2005 master faceplate and replace the extension/dsl filter end with the pre filtered faceplate, basically giving me a very long dsl filter. Then just connect the sky box RJ11 to the master socket.

My question is will I see any improvement in connection speeds doing what I plan to do?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wierd master socket location.... help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by msjones View Post
      Hi..... new guy here so go easy.

I have sky broadband max, the exchange is at the end of the street but I am only getting the following connection: U:7548/D:764kbps. Even though im told i should see full speeds.

The netgear is connected in the dining room on an extension from the master socket.... which is location in the attic. Thats the strange part. Now, connected to the master socket is a double adapter which the extension for the phone and router is connected too and also the RJ11 cable for the sky box in the living room (we live in a bungalow).

I have been on the phone to sky asking about my speeds and they say to get full downstream I have to be direct to the master socket using the dsl filter.

So i have bough the XTF pre-filtered socket and the XTE-2005 master socket faceplate from adslnation. I plan to cut the plug on the extension and wire it direct to the XTE-2005 master faceplate and replace the extension/dsl filter end with the pre filtered faceplate, basically giving me a very long dsl filter. Then just connect the sky box RJ11 to the master socket.

My question is will I see any improvement in connection speeds doing what I plan to do?

Thanks in advance

Matt
      As you live in a bungalow, why don't you just fit the filtered faceplate and the router in the loft then run an ethernet cable down into the area you want it.

This is a much safer way to get the best speeds. The more plugs/connections you have the more chances of a problem

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      As you live in a bungalow, why don't you just fit the filtered faceplate and the router in the loft then run an ethernet cable down into the area you want it.

This is a much safer way to get the best speeds. The more plugs/connections you have the more chances of a problem
      Fitting a router in the loft requires some throught. First you need a power socket, idealy one you can switch off from outside the loft so you can re-boot the router if necessary.
      Next you need to consider tempreture, it gets very hot in a loft in the summer so you need to re-case the router to prevent it over heating. I've done this with a speedtouch 585, fitting it in a much larger metal case.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah mounting it in the loft is not really an option, a small space you can hardly stand up in, with no power remotely near it.... unless you splice into the wiring.

Am I likely to see any improvements with what im proposing.... so long as i can boost up to 900-1000k id be happy.

Thanks

Thanks

A better idea is this.

(1) fit the faceplate in the loft and plug your existing extensions in the phone socket (don't cut the plugs off, the cable is too thin and will not work with IDC connections on the filter faceplate)

(2) run a good quality extension RJ11 to RJ11, to the router location, from the filter faceplate.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

What about the splitter? In the master socket there is a two port splitter for the extension for phone/router and then the RJ11 from the sky box.

Thanks

Just plug the addaptor in the phone socket of the filter faceplate. This will provide for your phones and Sky box, you then need a separate lead for the router from the faceplate filter.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would not be able to add another cable from the master for the phone. the cable has all been boxed in and the room recorated.

Am I just going to have to put up with the connection?

Thanks

you said you brought another cable. I don't understand why you cannot just run another from the filter faceplate to the router they are not very big and could be hidden

Sky TV:
      Thanks

im not quite understanding this. Ill start again... please bare with me.

I have the bell wire coming into the attic to the master socket. In the master socket I have a 2 way splitter connecting the sky box and the extension that goes down into the dinning room, this has the adsl splitter connected to the end with the router and telephone.

I have bough a XTE-2005 master socket face plate and XTF prefiltered socket.

Could you please explain to be a little more what you mean me to do.

I am sorry for being slow to cath on , I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast