Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which Ethernet Cable ?

This is a discussion on Which Ethernet Cable ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Whats the difference between Cat5/5e. Straight/twisted or Crossover. Ime going direct from the router downstairs to a PC upstairs. Which ...

lizziefrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Which Ethernet Cable ?

Whats the difference between Cat5/5e. Straight/twisted or Crossover.

Ime going direct from the router downstairs to a PC upstairs. Which one should i be buying ?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Which Ethernet Cable ?

Straight twisted pair. Crossover would be used to network 2 PCs directly without a router, among other things.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

as Isitme says, not a crossover as this is designed for simple PC to PC networking (however, the router has the ability to recognise a crossover and can use it if necessary).

Unless you are running a very long cable (i.e. hundreds of feet) ordinary cat5 is fine. Stranded is best if the cable is subject to any movement at all. Don't spend a fortune - ethernet cables are very cheap.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

EVERYTHING is CAT5e now, even though some will call it CAT5. As you have to go from downstairs to upstairs an external cable route maybe easier? You can get external grade CAT5e (DON'T use internal grade!). The cable needs to be wired as a straight through(if terminating to RJ45 plugs at each end) which is as follows:-
      wht/org
      org/wht
      wht/grn
      blu/wht
      wht/blu
      grn/wht
      wht/brn
      brn/wht

You could of course terminate both ends to RJ45 sockets and use standard patch leads to go from each one to the router and PC.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Thanks to you all. Nice to have helpers out there.

Ime waiting for my cable, 10 metre is enough. (2.99 from ebay)The rooms are directly above/below each other. Its going straight up the wall, (inside)through a hole in my friends ceiling and out a matcing hole in my floorboard above, to run along the floor under the carpet. I think i can manage that. My friend insists he make the hole in his ceiling :-))

I finally fitted a faceplate on the master socket, which allmost trippled the speed downstairs. And yes, i did buy the right faceplate from ADSL.

Now, Even I have the brains to know i cant use 2 routers on 1 telephone line at the same time.

So While waiting for the cable, and my friend is away, i took the router upstairs and plugged it into my extention, using a filter of course, so i can use my phone.I moved the router once before and it worked perfect before the faceplate went on. Now the router doesnt work from my extention.The Faceplate has been double checked and made sure i did right with the plate/wires etc. So what have i done wrong ? Surely i dont need a faceplate on my extention, or do i ?

Thanks Guys.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Lizzy.
      If you have a filtered faceplate fitted, then the BB sig is only available at the router socket on the filter. Thats why you cannot connect at the extension.

Thanks

Brian
      I guess its just the 1 router downstairs shared and connected to upstairs via the ethernet. I do have a laptop, which will pick up the signal from downstairs,but wont connect.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you could extend the unfiltered signal upstairs by moving the wires on the back of the ADSL faceplate - Terminak 2 to Terminal B and Terminal 5 to terminal A. This would allow you to use the router upstairs. This applies to the ADSL Nation faceplate XTE-2005, I don't know about other makes.

Can you confirm if this will work Brian?

Might not be worthwhile for a short period, but if you friend is not using wireless, you might be able to leave it like that.
      Last edited by Isitme; 14-08-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: correction

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Yes 5 to A and 2 to B would work in the short term so long as you have a filter at the extension.

Sorry for the late responce, Iv'e been sorting a neighbours phone/BB problems. I'll post about it when Iv'e had some tea!!
      Last edited by Brian69; 14-08-08 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

No need for a quick reply as ime off for my tea.

I dont really want to upset my friend now i got him all sorted and happy.He wouldnt let me put the faceplate on, just kept moaning cause he had no speed and things kept going wrong. So i waited for the right moment, found the nerve and fixed the plate. Later i heard him shouting . ""Hey i got some speed on this thing."" ! ( He hasnt noticed i fixed the plate)
      Making an old man happy is hard work ! But the results are worth it. (ah, back to peace and quiet) So i wont move the wires.

Ime happy to share with just the ethernet, as long as he leaves the router switched on.

Ive read about different things to try with my laptop, so I'll have to have a fiddle round, see what i can do.

Thanks Guys