Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Old BT Master Socket & De-embarkation

This is a discussion on Old BT Master Socket & De-embarkation within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT I know BT were trailing this has it now been rolled out? I wonder how this ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Old BT Master Socket & De-embarkation

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      I know BT were trailing this has it now been rolled out? I wonder how this will work with new builds, i can see BT installing the external box and the internal stuff being left to the builders
      Yes at the moment it is new builds,feed from underground, The idea is that electricians do the internal wiring as part of first fix, fit the plates and pass the feed cable through an external wall ready for Openreach to fit tha XNTE and connect up. Once a dial tone and a sucessful line test is done at the XNTE, Openreach responsibility ends. Openreach would never require entry to the building.

Well thats the theory, in practice this will lead to BB problems we all have seen theads on here along the lines of "it can't be my wiring it's a new house!" The answer will still be a filter faceplate, with the customer fitting their own NTE-5 as the first socket from the XNTE, and all other extensions feed from the faceplate.
      Last edited by Brian69; 25-07-08 at 06:27 PM.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yep, the info states there is a filter for DSL in the XNTE!! (although reading it not an ADSL filter but more along the lines of the bell wire filter fitted to NTE5's now). As you say i really think this will lead to more problems given who will be installing the internal wiring!!! Ho hum, probably more work for us in the future!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Yes it is a ring wire filter. Lets just hope Pressac get their numbers right!! hey Dave?

gremboid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Muswell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The engineer left about an hour ago. He said it looked like someone had done a bodge job on the sockets and fitted an NTE5 for me, and was even kind enough to fit a new extension socket. Turned out the cablign was fine, just the actual extension socket was dead. He didn't charge me a penny, so top result!

Plugged into either the master, or the extension I'm getting these stats:

Downstream Rate: 5952 kbps
      Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
      Downstream Margin: 8 db
      Upstream Margin: 24 db
      Downstream Line Attenuation: 41 db
      Upstream Line Attenuation: 11.5 db
      Downstream Transmit Power: 11 db
      Upstream Transmit Power: 19 db

So my sync speed has basically gone up nearly 2.5mb! Now I just have to wait for my IP profile to be upped from 2500kb.

The only odd thing left now is that my noise margin is constantly jumping all over the place from as high as 11, to as low as 5. I get that on the test socket as well as the extension.

Do you think it could be the junction box where the drop wire comes in? It looks mighty old...

Also do you think I would see any real benefits on ADSl2+ with stats like these?

Thanks again for everybody's help!

Thanks

I am supprised that you did not get the Openreach guy to have a look at it. Still never mind, just open it up and check that the connections are tight and clean. Old boxes like this do not cause BB problems as long as the connections are clean.
      As you now have a new Openreach master socket, removeing the ring line at the master should not make any differance.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yes it is a ring wire filter. Lets just hope Pressac get their numbers right!! hey Dave?

Ha ha oh yes!! With regard to the junction box-as Brian has said should not cause any problems if everything looks OK inside? The Openreach guys options would have really been limited to replacing it which would be pointless if the original is OK I'm sure he wouldn't replace the drop wire and take it to the new NTE5
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12