Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Test Socket

This is a discussion on Using Test Socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok firstly im not sure where to post this, so my apologies if in the wrong section. Ok now on ...

Gazwozhere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crosshills
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using Test Socket

Ok firstly im not sure where to post this, so my apologies if in the wrong section.

Ok now on to my question, after doing test with test socket, and using my extension iv noticed i am losing alot of speed (upto 2mb sometimes) by using my extension (pre-wired when we moved in).

So my question is basicly i plan to have the router, and phone connected through a filter to the test socket indeffinatly, or untill i can get the guts to get one of those adslnation face plates, to scared to ruin the phone as its a shared house (me and changing anything like a few wires is a no no lol). Is this safe to do, and/or is it against any form of BT rules and stuff?

Many thanks
      Gaz

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Using Test Socket

Hi Gazwozhere.
      It's not against BT's T&C's and it is safe to use the test socket to connect a router and phone.
      It's also o.k to remove the ring wire connection (the wire or wires that connect to "3" at the master)
      As you know, a filter faceplate is the way to go, and it is fine to fit one of those as well. BT won't mind.

Thanks

Many thanks for that info, when i get the guts to look at the wireing and or fit a new flace plate i will, but past 30mins of using test socket my noise margin is now as follows, speed has stayed the same.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4928 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 27.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.1 db 14.0 db

where as before my down noise rarely went above 9 on a good day and usually was between 5 on bad days and average 7..

Guess im on DLM as last time i tested on the test socket my speed shot up, ahwell its staying connected there now, should make things alot more stable...

Thanks

This is common, you synced your line during a period of high line noise, and now the noise has reduced, the sync speed has remained the same, but your noise margin has increased. for the best line performance, along with stability, the thing to do now is,
      (1) with your router connected at the test socket, reboot the router ( just switch it off, wait a couple of mins, and then switch it back on) It will sync at a higher speed and lower noise margin.

(2) During the evening, keep an eye on the noise margin, and if it falls to around 5.5dB, then resync sync again. You will loose speed and gain noise margin.

(3) Once you have reached a point where the noise margin is at 5.5dB or a bit above, and is steady, then leave the router alone.

Having re-read your post, it would appear that Sky have capped your speed, so the best thing to do would be to get the filter faceplate installed, then contact Sky and explane that you had wiring problems which are now fixed, and get them to lift the cap.
      Last edited by Brian69; 20-07-08 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks

yeh was kinda thinking the same thing myslef, as no matter how many times i reboot speed stays maxed at that, even noise goes up slightly lol..

so yep faceplate time then call sky and hope i don't get the last person i talked too ..

Many thanks for the help brian much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes I know what you mean!!. Just a word to the wise, whenever you have any problems like this, it is always better to look/check all your own wiring, filters etc, before ever calling Sky (or any ISP).
      When faced with instablity their first reaction is to cap the speed down to the point where the line is stable (in fairness to them, there is little else they can do as the problem is 99% your wiring). So if you can get to the root cause of the problem, you will save all the phone calls/e-mail.

Thanks

yeh i know, and i know i won't get much more then i have atm, and to behonest id rather have 5mb stable then 6-7mb crashing alot..

but had a chat with the rest of the house as the internal wiring is well very old, we are thinking of getting it looked at and possibly re-done.

Many thanks again for the usefull info brian, again this forum has helped me

A+ to all.