Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BT Iplate

This is a discussion on BT Iplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You may/may not have heard of the BT IPlate and what it promises to do for you BB connection! I've ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT Iplate

You may/may not have heard of the BT IPlate and what it promises to do for you BB connection!

I've done some digging and as i suspected it's made by the people i thought it was, now the bad news, this from our suppliers :-

"They're only available for sale to BT and they're technically not in production as of yet. The ones which Vispa have are part of a batch of 1000 which went to BT from ***** as part of the initial tests etc. BT supplied them to Vispa because Vispa are classed as a ISP and under Ofcom regulations BT had to go down that road apparently.

They won't be available publically until the end of the year so once Vispa's stock goes, it's gone until the official release which hasn't even been pencilled in yet".

However, we can get what in essence IS an Iplate shipped today for you! The instructions that came with the initial batch of Iplates stated it was not suitable for use with the latest version of the NTE5's with the BT Openreach branding, the reason? That NTE5 already has the extra filter built in.

So if you are willing to swap the front plate off your existing NTE5 for the latest spec(which is what we sell) then in essence you have an Iplate, the only difference is you would have to re-install any customer side wiring(3 wires if done to spec).

This is also where i think the Iplate idea may fall down-if there isn't enough slack on the customer side wiring it may be hard to fit the Iplate(something Brian on here picked up on).

This is the extra filter on the latest NTE5's :-

Now i should point out i haven't seen a tech diagram for the Iplate but seeing as they said there was no need to fit it on the later NTE5's this is all it can really be(except it's a plastic plate which avoids undoing 3 wires!!).

We are still working on prices for forum users as we will have some new products soon but hope to have sonmething sorted by the end of this week.

Some people say snip the bell wire but this keeps all the wiring as it should.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT Iplate

I don't mean to doubt you but are you sure the inductor is in the faceplate. I only ask becaues I have seen lots of non Openreach NTE's made by Presstec which have the molding for the inductor but with out one fitted

Exchange:
      Thanks

I couldn't see any evidence on the backplate?? I must admit this post was a rush at the end of the day-i'll pull an NTE5 apart tomorrow but i think it makes sense for it to be on the front plate as that is where pin 3 comes into play(no ring wire on the back plate just A & B). I too have seen NTE5's without the filter but with the extra moulding-maybe they went through a peroid where the moulds were changed but the filter was still under trial?

Thanks

I hope you are right. To be clear, the ones I have seen have had no inductor anywhere. The first time I came across this it threw me, I could not understand why an Openreach master was so much better, untill I pulled to customer suppiled one apart

Exchange:
      Thanks

We'll know tomorrow

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was just about to pull an NTE5 out of stock to pull apart when i remembered i had the data sheet for these! The filter is 100% on the FRONT plate, it's shown on the schematic AFTER the disconnect feature. For reference it's a 22mH filter. ("Choke" or "inductor").

Thanks

Well thats fine then. For what it's worth, I think your idea of a replacement faceplate is a much neater solution than the I-plate and I was not trying to pour cold water on this. I am aware of your company, and know you to work to high standards and would not have liked to see you come unstuck on this one.

How about putting together a package with a disposable IDC tool . You could call it something like "the professional solution to the ring wire problem"
      Last edited by Brian69; 08-07-08 at 10:13 AM.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Arn't you kind of missing the point a bit here though ?

The iPlate is intended to be installed without any wiring at all so it is not intended for people who are able to swap some wires over. If you are able to swap over some wires then you are better off with a filtered faceplate rather than changing the normal plate for one with a ring wire choke.
      adslnation

Thanks

Of course the filter faceplate is by far the best method of BB connection, but there are those who are unwilling to have ADSL only at the filter and do not wish to run a ADSL extension. For them the ring wire is a problem, and just disconnecting it will solve it. But there is the problem that when people move they leave it disconnected and this leads to problems for new owners.
      The I-Plate will solve this, but it is ugly and may not be so easy to fit.
      This idea of a replacement faceplate seems to cover all the bases for those unwilling to use a filter faceplate.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally I think it will be a limited number of people in that situation as for most people the aim is to get the most out of the line and so a filtered faceplate would be the preferred option for most.

My concern is causing further confusion to people who are already quite confused about all of the various filtering and wiring options by introducing another idea that applies to a very limited group of people. We have been selling the new style NTE-5 for quite a while with the choke but have not mentioned the choke as it complicates the issue.

A filtered faceplate is the best way to get the highest performance out of the ADSL and would generally encourage anyone to try and go this route if at all possible. If you don't want to connect the router to the master socket you still have the problem of most internal wiring not being twisted pair and running ADSL over non twisted cable significantly degrades the signal. So if you are replacing cable with twisted pair then you may as well wire it in a way that minimises the amount of cable the ADSL runs through. You can for example run twisted pair to the first socket and fit a pre-filtered telephone socket and have all the other extensions wired to the filtered terminals on the rear of the filtered socket so that the rest of the extensions are filtered.
      adslnation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast