Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

BT Iplate

This is a discussion on BT Iplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Brian69 Of course the filter faceplate is by far the best method of BB connection, but there ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: BT Iplate

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Of course the filter faceplate is by far the best method of BB connection, but there are those who are unwilling to have ADSL only at the filter and do not wish to run a ADSL extension. For them the ring wire is a problem, and just disconnecting it will solve it. But there is the problem that when people move they leave it disconnected and this leads to problems for new owners.
      The I-Plate will solve this, but it is ugly and may not be so easy to fit.
      This idea of a replacement faceplate seems to cover all the bases for those unwilling to use a filter faceplate.
      Which it what we were getting at Of course the filtered faceplate is the best method but the IPlate is being touted as a solution, if you can't swap 3 wires over like for like on a terminal block then it's time to get someone in who can-it's no harder than wiring a plug. Iplate 15 odd, filtered faceplate 15 odd, replacement NTE5 10 odd, remove bell wire 0. We do the job right so telling people to cut the bell wire is poor advice.

I fail to see how mentioning the choke confuses anyone? The bell wire is what causes ADSL signal problems, the choke sorts that problem the correct way.

By twisted pair i assume you mean CAT5/CAT6?

I've not done tests but can't see how the last 10m-15M of a cable run being CAT5/6 would make any difference when the cable from BT is No 10/11, CW1308/B etc etc?

As soon as i've got the BT ADSL extensions sets in(next week or so) i will know for sure
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No by twisted pair I mean any twisted pair cable such as CW1308. There is no advantage to using Cat5 over CW1308.
      adslnation

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's what i thought, in my personal un-scientific tests i've used 30-50m of CW1308 Vs CAT5 and got no difference(according to router stats) what so ever.

What i don't understand is you state most internal wiring is not twisted pair?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most internal wiring has at some time been DIY installed using extension kits from the likes of B&Q or often installed by electrician/ hose builder as a result the cable is just basically multi-core wire used for installing alarm systems etc. DIY extension kits do not usually include CW1308 cable only professionally installed extensions by BT will generally have CW1308 cable and these are quite rare as people are quite rightly not willing to pay BT's high prices for installing extensions.
      adslnation

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You need to look at the wiring in some of the new homes I have, it is often untwisted alarm cable and in such circumstances a filter faceplate is the only way to go, much to the upset of the new owners!!
      As a side issue, and I hang my head in shame before i start, I put the router nice and close to the master and then used cw1038 and a couple of RJ45 plugs for the network cable, as the owners did not want a thick cat 5 seen, and wireless would not work at all.
      Last edited by Brian69; 08-07-08 at 03:05 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I must be lucky! I've not come accross any installs using anyhthing other than CW1308, however most of our work is comercial so that makes sense. Alarm cable tends to be stranded core so that isn't going to help either! It's a shame people don't do things right but as you say usally it comes down to or a house builder who just doesn't know(care?!). Surely B&Q's kits use CW1308 spec however??

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      You need to look at the wiring in some of the new homes I have, it is often untwisted alarm cable and in such circumstances a filter faceplate is the only way to go, much to the upset of the new owners!!
      As a side issue, and I hang my head in shame before i start, I put the router nice and close to the master and then used cw1038 and a couple of RJ45 plugs for the network cable, as the owners did not want a thick cat 5 seen, and wireless would not work at all.
      CW1308 for network cable...tut tut Now that would NEVER pass a CAT5 cert test!! I'm amazed it worked at all tbh!! CAT5/6 has twisted pair which i am sure you know is a MUCH tighter twist than any CW1308-hence the thickness.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

At the time I did stress that I would be happier to run an extension and put the router in the same room as the PC, but once the idea of the router close to the master had sunk in to the owner, and he was already planning his network all coming from this spot (switch,the works!!) there was no shifting him, as it turned out it worked fine, but it is not something to recommend

Exchange:
      Thanks

hehe, well at least you got them up & running

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Surely B&Q's kits use CW1308 spec however??
      I haven't looked in recent months but I doubt the situation has changed.

Places like B&Q don't know or care what CW1308 cable is they work on a very simple principle 's per cubic foot per month. If the product does not achieve rated 's per month it is not stocked, if an alternative product can achieve a higher yield per cubic foot that will be stocked. They have no idea about the technicalities of what they sell. If returns are below a certain % and therefore the 's per cubic foot figure is maintained then the product is good enough.

The retailers will therefore stock the cheapest chinese made kit at the highest possible retail price they can sell for. This is why we do not sell our products through retail as we can't sell a quality product to retailers that competes with a cheap and nasty item that is then sold at a price higher than a quality product.

For example places like Maplin, PC World, B&Q, Homebase etc all sell microfilters at around 10-15 but they are just filters that are so basic they are sold at the likes of dabs for 2.
      adslnation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast