Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

rewiring from outside to inside

This is a discussion on rewiring from outside to inside within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; can some one help me out ive got bad problems with my broad band im not a novice with broadband ...

duckster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hunslet
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

rewiring from outside to inside

can some one help me out ive got bad problems with my broad band im not a novice with broadband had it for years ,and ive had a few isp`s,my last was ukonline were i never had a problem was running at 8meg line which was tested to recieve a max of 17.5meg.i didnt upgrade to this as i changed to sky max 16meg,due to prices.anyways my line has been crap to say the least running at 4meg at the mo,have been to as high as 7.9meg.but i only live just over 1 mile from exchange maybe even closer than that.and sky say that the max i should get is 5meg.which is pathetic.but i have a prob with internal wiring .i have the bb upstairs into my bedroom on an exstension.now where it runs from past another bedroom wen we enter that room the conection goes off i have to reset router for it to come back on ,so my prob is i need to get rid of exstension .and rewire from the outside as the wires downstairs are old and well my cat had a go at them .so i wont to wire from the outside to the in what wires do i need ,how much or is there some one in leeds area could do it for me .we are not with bt anymore we now have sky phone too.any helps appreciate

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: rewiring from outside to inside

If you still pay line rental to BT then you cannot touch the incoming wires, they belong to BT, you can only rewire from the master socket inside your property.

Have you tried fitting your router into the test socket if you have one, it is situated behind the bottom of the master socket (which should be the first socket fitted to the incoming wire). This should give you a best case senario with no extensions connected, check yur stats before and after.

Failing that, if your main telephone cable coming into the house is damaged you will have to deal with BT, the best way you could do this is to phone with a voice fault and not mention the ADSL side of things, once the engineer is on-site give him tea, coffee, bacon butties and point out where the damage is.

If your stats improve at the master socket then you should leave your router fitted as close as you can and either run a network cable to your PC or you could do what I do and use homeplugs.

duckster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hunslet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

we no longer pay bt line rental this is now with sky and there is no line rental.line running into house is well lets say the worse for ware.id like to redo it and put a master socket into my bedroom rather than any exstensions.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

BT still own the line so you'd need to call Sky to get BT involved to change the incoming line...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket