Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

correct kit for extension?

This is a discussion on correct kit for extension? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, I was wondering if I could run this by the clever peeps on here and check if I'm ...

sokar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: joining soon
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

correct kit for extension?

Hi folks, I was wondering if I could run this by the clever peeps on here and check if I'm going down the right path....

I've got a socket downstairs which I've stuck an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate on so there's an ADSL socket and a normal phone socket. It's a little better but still a crappy connection but that's a different story.

The modem is downstairs as close to the socket as possible but the wireless reception upstairs is unstable and intermittent so I'd like to run a hard extension upstairs for ADSL and phone. As far as I understand this would mean 2 cables but was wondering if the following would work:

BT Engineer's ADSL Extension Kit (15m/30m) with Dual RJ11 + BT Socket

A few questions:

1) Is this what I need
      2) it says RJ11 modem lead could be plugged into RJ45 (didn't know that). Any problems with doing that as RJ45 version is slightly cheaper
      3) Is there enough wires in the Cat5e cable to do both the ADSL and Phone wireing, and if so, is there any problem with doing this like interference etc. It would be nice to run just the 1 wire up the stairs instead of 2 as it's thicker.

Any advice please guys would be appreciated

many thanks
      Last edited by sokar; 19-06-08 at 04:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: correct kit for extension?

First off, all filter faceplates including the ADSL XTE-2005 have RJ45 sockets and will accept an RJ11 plug.
      You can use that kit, but get it with the ADSL and phone dual filter socket (+9.00 I think)
      You plug the extension into the router socket of the faceplate, run the cable where you wish, then fit the ADSL/phone filter dual socket on the end. it connects to the blue pair of the cable.
      You then have a router and phone socket at your new location.
      Code for dual socket is LJ4F

sokar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: joining soon
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: correct kit for extension?

Thanks Brian. Would never of thought of doing it like that. I always seem to pick the hard way.