Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cabling help

This is a discussion on cabling help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there This is my first post as am new to this forum. I have been reading with great interest ...

ccarr32051 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cabling help

Hi there

This is my first post as am new to this forum. I have been reading with great interest about faceplates and cabling etc. I currently have a new built house with a new bt master socket downstairs and an extension in my bedroom. I intend to add an extension directly through the wall to where my pc is (basically the sockets will be back to back of each other).

I would like to know if I change the face plate down stairs and fit a adsl nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate and in my pc room fit a fre filtered socket. Do i use high grade low loss twisted-pair cable instead of the existing extension cable or along with the existing cable but connect the twisted-pair cable to the dsl part of the socket. There appears to be a conduit from downstairs to upstairs so cabling should be easy. Also do all sockets have to be filtered i.e. in the bedroom where no pc is or will be.

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this has been asked already.

ccarr32051

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: cabling help

Hi CCarr.
      You are going about this the right way. The best thing to do is connect all your existing wiring to the filtered output, and then run an additional cable to the PC from the unfiltered output. Normal CW1308 telephone cable will be fine for this, but if you want to use cat5e then fine.
      Just a word of caution, when you remove the faceplate of the master, make sure that all the other extension sockets are dead. If any or all still have a dial tone then this must be attended to, or the filter faceplate will give dissapointing results.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many Thanks Brian69

I intend to have the adsl master face plate (adsl nation) and also the adls nation filtered extension socket in my pc room. Does the bedroom also require a filtered extension? I think my existing internal telephone wiring appears to be of low quality and would like to improve on this. Do i keep this for voice only and run the additional cat5e from the master to the extension socket where my pc is or does the cat5e support voice and adls but is split at the sockets.

Thanks again
      cc

Thanks

The best thing is to connect all your existing wiring to the filtered output of the ADSL Nation faceplate. You will need no other filters and as far as broadband is concerned it is disconnected, but it will work as now for voice.
      For your router, run a new line from the unfiltered output of the ADSL Nation faceplate. you could teminate this with a RJ11 plug and feed directly to the router, or connect it to a RJ11 extension plate, and use your existing router cable to connect.
      If you require this router feed to also be used for a telephone, then the ADSL nation plate with router and telephone socket would be fine.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again Brian
      I would like to use the extension for voice and broadband. Do you suggest keeping the internal wiring or replace it. If so hats best for running phone and broadband extension to my pc room. This is so confusing. Can you suggest suitable wiring help? to socket etc.

Thanks again
      cc

Thanks

If you wish to use the new line for broadband and telephone, then run it from the unfiltered side of the filter and connect it to a ADSL plate which has a router and telephone outputs ( XTF 68/85)
      If you already have a telephone socket there, then this will be filtered at the adsl faceplate at the master, so the new line can go straight to the router.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks.
      Do you think the existing cable is up to the job. It looks poor quality. Is it best to use better telephone cable or pro plus or cat 5. It appears very easy to run a new cable if it is better to replace the cable from master to extension socket via internal conduit.
      Thanks

Thanks

For the router/telephone, use pro plus from adsl nation. You should run it straight from the filter faceplate to the pc room. As all your existing wiring will be filtered by the faceplate filter at the master, you can leave this as it is.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks
      much clearer now. One final question. In the end I will have 3 sockets. Master filtered face plate downstairs, one filtered face plate in the pc room and one in my bedroom. Do i need a filter faceplate in the bedroom as like you had to have to have those daft plug in filters for all telephone sockets.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

provided the bedroom socket is connected to the filtered output of the faceplate filter, then you will not need a filter there. No more "soap on a rope" filters for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast