Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fitting a new Master Socket

This is a discussion on Fitting a new Master Socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. The incoming line (the one from the street) connects to A and B of the NTE-5 master It does ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Fitting a new Master Socket

Hi.
      The incoming line (the one from the street) connects to A and B of the NTE-5 master It does not matter about polarity, but the line to A should be positive (measure across the line 50-55V DC)
      The other wire sounds like an extension, and this is connected to the IDC connectors on the faceplate. The colours may not be what you expect if it is old cable, just make sure that 2 connects to 2 on the extension 5 to 5.
      If you are not going to use a filter faceplate, then do not connect anything to 3 and, in anycase do not connect anything to 4

Your old master is a LJ4 with a 35mm box. The NTE-5 needs a larger box, so you may need to fit it in a new spot.

2. Advertisement
      BLUEBELT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: want Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Hi.
      The incoming line (the one from the street) connects to A and B of the NTE-5 master It does not matter about polarity, but the line to A should be positive (measure across the line 50-55V DC)
      The other wire sounds like an extension, and this is connected to the IDC connectors on the faceplate. The colours may not be what you expect if it is old cable, just make sure that 2 connects to 2 on the extension 5 to 5.
      If you are not going to use a filter faceplate, then do not connect anything to 3 and, in anycase do not connect anything to 4

Your old master is a LJ4 with a 35mm box. The NTE-5 needs a larger box, so you may need to fit it in a new spot.
      Thats great! thanks again. I have never had a extension maybe the people in here before us had one fitted but it is not here now, what years did the L14box run for, am I right about my age estimate?

Thanks

From about 1980 so you are not far out.
      If you do not have any extensions, then leave any wires other than the incoming line, dissconnected. If fact it may be a good idea to do this now before you replace anything just to see if they have any effect on your BB

BLUEBELT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: want Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I will do what you suggest. I will also try to get a picture on to a reply, but having trouble as I have never done this before; but I think I will get there some how Cheers

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

ive just moved my master-socket which is the small non nte5 type which was installed 21 years ago when i first moved into house, my cable came into house upstairs bed room then from a conector box made its way along bedroom wall out into upper hallway then up and around bathroom door into another conector box this time with gpo printed on it then cable came down stairwell and box was at foot of stairs, this meant router was in hallway about 40-50 feet from pc which is in dinningroom in the diagonal opposite corner from where router was wireless connection only allowed 1.5 to 2mb speedtests so now cable enters house still from rear of house but into dinningroom 2 feet from pc lan connection and speedtests now give 14.1mb

now eleiminated around 40 meters of internal cable

cable into house is the black external cable with wire running through it for strenth this was fitted about 8 years ago when storms brought down a fence and tele cable with it bt engineer fitted this black cable wires connected were orange and white, at present have had to use old mastersocket but a workmate has a brother with openreach and have asked him to try and get new nte5 backbox and if possible adsl splitter face plate

Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Recently saw a post over on thinkbroadband.com that BT will replace the old
      style master socket with an NTE5 for 25 quid + vat. This correct?

Thanks

See post #6

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Interesting that in the reply in post 6 that bt say that after 12 months the box is yours so the way i take that is do what the hell you like with it. lol change it they wont know anyway. Keep the old one if you do have to get them out just put old one back on.

Unless brian69 knows of a cheap source of faceplates ;-)
      Last edited by VEG; 24-04-08 at 01:59 PM. Reason: none

Thanks

Hi Veg.
      What Openreach are refering to are the extension sockets and any wiring to them that they may fit. the NTE-5 master (or any other master) always remains their sole preserve.

If you want to change your master yourself, and you want an Openreach one, then e-bay is full of them but they are either stolen or faulty or both. The best bet is to get one from Maplin, CPC or ADSL Nation, it will not be marked Openreach but if you make a good job of fitting it then BT/Openreach will never know.
      This is against BT T&C's and if you get found out and have to pay hefty charges, don't blame me!!

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

But would they be able to tell if "it was fitted before i moved in" ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast