Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Final Piece in jigsaw

This is a discussion on Final Piece in jigsaw within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Have decided to fit XTE 2005 and XTF 68. Long story but gist is that would find it difficult ...

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Final Piece in jigsaw

Hi

Have decided to fit XTE 2005 and XTF 68. Long story but gist is that would find it difficult to move router to MS (er indoors wont allow it!).

Current MS had 4 terminals connected (now 3 having removed the bell wire) wires going in to 2/4/5. Cable colours are respectively: Blue with yellow flash, yellow with blue flash and blue with yellow flash (actually the yellow could be green or white as its a bit faded!).

If I replace with XTE 2005 can I safely disconnect all these and then just connect the new wire (going to use pro plus instead of CW1308) to A&B and run that to the XTF 68 in the bedroom. We used to have an old extension which was wired in by BT but I removed that ages ago (cut the cable in the bedroom but the wire still runs from the MS up the outside wall and disappears under the bedroom window sill). The MS is currently connected to B&Q extension sockets in the hall and the upstairs bedroom (latter to be replaced by XTF68 to carry the unfiltered ADSL signal) by plug in B&Q connections.

In essence can I safely disconnect the numbered wires from the faceplate as we don't have any "wired in extensions" anymore?

Do I have to worry about the internal wiring in the faceplate that is still connected for a wired in extension?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Kit has arrived today and wish to sort out over the bank holiday weekend.

Thanks again
      L

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Final Piece in jigsaw

Hi L.
      How to wire this lot up.

(1) At your master socket, remove the existing faceplate and note the colour and terminal they are connected to, of any wiring that you wish to retain.
      (if you wish to scrap all existing wiring, then just pull them off)

(2) If now or in the future you wish to run an extension from the master (this is in addition to the one to the router) then fit the XTE-2005 and connect the pro cable to A and B on the filter. Connect any other extensions to the numbered terminals as per the instructions.
      At the other end of the pro cable connect the XTF-68.

It has just occured to me that the pro cable may not work with IDC connections on the face plate. I do not know as I have not used it, so you may need to check with ADSL Nation.
      Last edited by Brian69; 21-03-08 at 10:44 AM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
      Hi

Current MS had 4 terminals connected (now 3 having removed the bell wire) wires going in to 2/4/5. Cable colours are respectively: Blue with yellow flash, yellow with blue flash and blue with yellow flash (actually the yellow could be green or white as its a bit faded!).

L
      You actually only need 2 wires connected 2 and 5 so you can ditch 4 as well.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hin Brian/Koala

Sorry I know this is me being thick again but here goes:

1. When you talk about "any wiring you may wish to retain, or if you wish to scrap them"

Is there a need to reconect any of the numbered wires to the XTE? (even 2 and 5) As stated don't have any wired extensions other than the one I thought I'd replaced with the plug in B&Q kit.

2. Also when you say "if in the future you wish to run an extension in addition to the one to the router"...

My limited project is to extend the ADSL signal from the XTE to the XTF in the bedroom where the router must remain. To do this I thought I just needed to connect the cable to A&B in the XTE and run these to the same terminals in the XTF. Nowt else as they say.

My limited understanding was that I would be able to then plug a bog standard connector into the phone outlet on the XTE and run this filtered voice signal to the extension in the hall for the main phone. I understood this would work so long as I used a microfilter on that extension. Equally I thought I could plug my upstairs phone in the phone outlet of the XTF and that would work cos its already filtered for voice only.

Probably gone completely do lally tap (Yorks expression)

Appreciate your help

L

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi L.
      I was just trying to cover every base. What you propose is fine.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Brian

By the way. ADSL nation confirm that pro plus should work with IDC connectors, I think!

Thanks again

L

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Pro+ Installation cable sold by the meter is solid core suitable for use with IDC terminals as opposed to our ready made Pro+ RJ11 cables that use stranded wire.
      adslnation