Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A few questions.

This is a discussion on A few questions. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just moved over from virgin to sky max. I'm quite pleased with my speeds so far but i thought ...

Anno1366 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A few questions.

I just moved over from virgin to sky max. I'm quite pleased with my speeds so far but i thought maybe i could improve it a little more so here's my situation and a few questions...
      The little box that brings my phone line into the building is about 18 metres from my master box. The cable that runs from the little box (sorry i don't know what those boxes are called) to my master box has been stapled around door frames at 90 degree angles and looks pinched to me and not ideal.
      I was planning on replacing the inlet box with a master box and ADSL faceplate and then plugging my router straight into that and running a 10-15 metre ethernet network cable (RJ45 > RJ45) to my PC.
      I would still need to plug the 18metre phone line into one of the new sockets of it to plug my phone/sky box into what is now my master socket which will then be an extension socket. Will that affect my speed/connection still?
      Also is it easy/possible to attach a phone socket to RJ-11 cable? as i will need to put one on to what is now the end that goes from my inlet box to my master to keep the phone working and to plug my sky box into.
      Is this a good idea or am i gonna be wasting my time?

I hope that's not too confusing. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
      Last edited by Anno1366; 20-03-08 at 03:08 AM.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: A few questions.

Erm, yeah, that is a bit confusing. I can't quite understand the "phone socket to RJ-11 cable" bit.

The ADSL faceplate has two sockets on the front, the ADSL socket (which is usually an RJ45 socket, into which you can plug either an RJ45 plug or an RJ11 plug, like the one on the telephone lead that came with the router) and a normal BT telephone socket.

Normal telephones and the Sky TV box can be plugged into the BT telephone socket on the faceplate with no problem. You can also wires telephone and Sky TV box extensions onto the terminals on the inside surface of the ADSL faceplate.

With an ADSL faceplate, the usual advice about telephone extension wiring that you read on this forum, doesn't apply. So there's no need to disconnect the "ring wire" on terminal 3, and using plug-in type telephone extension cables is OK. With an ADSL faceplate, all the interference which would normally be picked up by your telephone wiring is effectively insulated from the ADSL signal.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Anno.
      The very best way to connect to broadband.

(1) Get yourself a NTE-5 master socket and a filter faceplate.
      (2) Fit the NTE-5 directly to the incoming line, where the "little box" is (you are not supposed to touch this, as it is against BT T&C's, but I wont tell if you wont)
      (3) Fit the filter face plate to this master and run extensions from this as required, for telephone, sky box etc, not broadband.
      (4) fit your router as close as you can to the filter faceplate and connect router to filter with a short, twisted pair cable.
      (5) Connect router to computer using cat5 cable or mains network adaptors. Use wireless as a last resort only.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you both and sorry if i was a little confusing (it was late when i posted and had had a few beers, never a good idea)
      Thank you Brian that is exactly what i needed to know.
      i'll let you know how i get on but i'm interested to know if you guys in the know think that it will increase my speed substantially and is worth doing as i already get about 9-10MB of my 16MB connection.

Thanks

Hi Anno.
      Only you can say if it's worth the effort. However you will never know until you try

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's true i guess. Maybe if i show you some stats from router you or someone who understands them (i certainly don't) might be able to tell me if all looks in good health or if there are issues that need addressing So here's a screenshot i took.
      Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Hi Anno.
      They look fine, If I were you and the connection did not drop over a couple of days, then I would leave well alone. But if the connection were unstable, ie I lost internet connection oftern, then I would look to my internal set-up. Hope that helps.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you're a star. Thanks again.