Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need Help Rewiring My Setup

This is a discussion on Need Help Rewiring My Setup within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, I've being having a look around the forum at some of the wiring tutorials/diagrams, but it's all going over ...

nathanjm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rothwell (MYROT)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Need Help Rewiring My Setup

Hey,

I've being having a look around the forum at some of the wiring tutorials/diagrams, but it's all going over my head a little bit, so I thought i'd post my setup instead, and see if you guys could advise me on a way forward (the aim being getting the fastest, stable speed out of my line as possible).

Basically, I have a master socket in the living room, with an extension in one of the bedrooms.

The master socket has the Sky+ line (white cable), the phone line (black cable) and the line from the router going into it (grey cable), as you can see from the photo below.

I'm getting around 4.2mbps with this setup, but after reading some of the posts on the forum, I decided to plug the setup into the test socket instead, which got me a speed of 4.9mbps. Also, removing the Sky+ from the setup (still plugged into the test socket) improves speed further to around 5.1mbps.

Also, the extension in the bedroom is not in use if that makes any difference.

Here's a photo of the wiring inside the master socket.

With this kind of setup, what do you guys recommend doing, rewiring the socket in some way or getting one of those new socket panels?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nathan.

P.S. - I've noticed that Sky have rolled out ADSL2+, is the DG834GT ADSL2+ compatible?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Need Help Rewiring My Setup

Hi Nathanjm.
      First of all thanks for the pics, this makes it a lot easer.
      I would get a filter faceplate. This may seem strange on the face of it, but they are far better filters than the "soap on a rope" type which you are using. You can leave the wiring to the Sky box as it is, and you will be able to transfer the wiring to the extension from the faceplate to the filter.
      Whether you would be better off on ADSL2+ depends on your line so could you post up your line stats from your router.

nathanjm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rothwell (MYROT)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

OK, here are the stats from the router when it is hooked up normally (like in the first photo, not connected to test socket).

Connection Speed DOWN: 4352 kbps UP: 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation DOWN: 50.0 db UP: 31.5 db
      Noise Margin DOWN: 7.1 db UP: 13.0 db

Would this be a good faceplate to get for my setup?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

With an attenuation of 50db you would not gain anything fron ADSL2+ ( for sky to consider this you would have to sync at 8meg or more).
      The ADSL nation XTE-2005 is as good as any, it is a favorite on here, but in truth, there is little between any of the faceplate filters, they are all better than the micro type