Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NTE5 wiring

This is a discussion on NTE5 wiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following on from this thread I posted: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...sed-stats.html I got an NTE5 and I am a bit confused with which ...

firestarter03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NTE5 wiring

Following on from this thread I posted:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...sed-stats.html

I got an NTE5 and I am a bit confused with which wires should go in the A and B screw terminals. Or should I only put wires in 2 and 5?

I have been told that my current master should be wired like this:

But it isn't, I have:
      3 orange and white wires going into Terminal 2
      A blue wire and a green wire going into Terminal 3
      4 blue wires going into Terminal 5

So I thought I might as well get an NTE5 and try and sort it out.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: NTE5 wiring

The master socket is BT property and you should not touch it.
      They will change it for an NTE5 but only in the event of a fault, collision with the vacuum cleaner perhaps!
      The incoming BT cable is connected to the A and B terminals, any extensions are then connected to pins 2 and 5 on the removable faceplate.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Firestater.
      Of the cables connected to your old master, you will need to find out which is the incoming line, it will be one of the pairs connected to 2 and 5 .
      This pair is connected to A and B of the NTE-5 master.
      The others are extension wireing and connect to the faceplate of the master.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Hi Firestater.
      Of the cables connected to your old master, you will need to find out which is the incoming line, it will be one of the pairs connected to 2 and 5 .
      This pair is connected to A and B of the NTE-5 master.
      The others are extension wireing and connect to the faceplate of the master.
      Thanks for the replies. How exactly do you go about finding out which pair of wires are the incoming line? What colour should they be? Is there a way of telling without trying each pair? Sorry if that's a stupid question lol. I will check inside the master again and find out for sure what wires are connected where because when I checked last time, it was a bit dark.

Thanks.

Thanks

Take a careful note of what is connected where. You are looking for the pair which is connected to 2 and 5 and provides a dial tone, and if you cannot trace the cable to the outside, then the best way is to try each pair untill you get a dial tone.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Replaced the master with a NTE5 (with nothing on terminal 3) today and now I have decent stats!

Connection Speed 8160 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 11 db

I am a bit confused by the wiring still because the combination used on 2 and 5 was orange and blue. Anyone know what that is about? Or do I just have old or different wiring? The orange and blue pair is consistent on the extensions...

Thanks

They are old colours. They used to be Blue Brown Orange and Green. As this old cable was not twisted pair, it makes little differance which colours are used so long as they are the same throughout.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to dig up this old thread again but I am having some difficulties. My master socket wiring got pulled out and ever since I have noticed my stats to be not as good as before. I also want to clarify that I am wired correctly while I am at it. I am not sure if the change in stats is to do with when the wiring got disconnected or if Sky has something to do with it. As far as I know when I asked Sky to put me on ADSL2, the line couldn't cope and they said it was put back to 8MB. These are my stats now with no extensions wired, just the 2 incoming line wires connected:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6140 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 15 db

Here is the best pic I could take of the wiring (click to zoom in):

NTE5 wiring-master_socket.jpg

The Orange/White and Blue/White wires you can see in the bottom left are what were connected for the extensions (to 2 and 5). The Blue and Orange wires in the top right of the picture are the incoming line connections coming from a grey cable. Can anyone tell me if this is how everything should be wired? Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my stats? Would I benefit from a filtered faceplate even though my router is normally connected to an extension?

Thanks!
      Last edited by firestarter03; 09-08-09 at 02:04 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Would I benefit from a filtered faceplate even though my router is normally connected to an extension?
      Unless you are plugged into it, fitting a filtered faceplate will do little good. You could fit one, then use one of the extension wires to create a dedicated ADSL extension, but there is no guarantee that it would perform well.

Using your extension previously no doubt caused your connection to be capped. If you are able to fit a filtered faceplate and use it, you should see 12+ Mb. You could leave it in the Test socket and ask Sky to reconfigure your line. A jump in speed would make it worthwhile upgrading your wiring. You will probably be told by Tier 1 that you are getting as much as you can. Emphasise that you have made line improvements since the line was tested and you want transferred to CST.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you are plugged into it, fitting a filtered faceplate will do little good. You could fit one, then use one of the extension wires to create a dedicated ADSL extension, but there is no guarantee that it would perform well.

Using your extension previously no doubt caused your connection to be capped. If you are able to fit a filtered faceplate and use it, you should see 12+ Mb. You could leave it in the Test socket and ask Sky to reconfigure your line. A jump in speed would make it worthwhile upgrading your wiring. You will probably be told by Tier 1 that you are getting as much as you can. Emphasise that you have made line improvements since the line was tested and you want transferred to CST.
      I suppose I could leave the router in the master and just switch to wireless without too much hassle. I'll look into getting a filtered faceplate then! I don't understand why it has been capped (if it has), I used to get 8MB from my extension... Is my wiring definitely ok from the picture? - if I wire up my extensions again that is.

Also can't you just email sky to sort it out instead of phoning?

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast